how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

johnmac785

join:2003-12-11
Ashburnham, MA

[Speed] New TM822 modem, no increase in speed

I have just installed a new Aris TM822 modem supplied by Comcast.

There does not seem to be much of an increase in speed from the old modem. I am located in Westminster MA.

Old -

ping 5ms
down 15.94
up 10.65

New -

ping 5ms
down 19.03
up 10.25

Anyone know what I should be getting for speeds with the new modem.

Thanks,

John

ExoticFish

join:2008-08-31
Stuarts Draft, VA

What was the old modem ? What speed package are you on ? What are your signal levels ?
--
»www.VAJeeps.com
»www.BronzedBod.com

gar187er
I do this for a living

join:2006-06-24
Dover, DE
kudos:4
reply to johnmac785

why were you under the assumption that a new modem means faster speed?
--
I'm better than you!

johnmac785

Ashburnham, MA

Interesting, I replied to ExoticFish's questions, but it is not showing.

At any point, I did a speed test on another computer and got 45 down and 10 up. So it must be my computer that is causing the problem.

scotpig

join:2004-01-01
Martinez, CA
reply to gar187er

I'm actually having the same issue. I've tested the connection on 4 different cpu's, (2) windows 7 rigs, and (2)WinXP pro sp3 rigs. I've tried testing with and without going thru the router, straight from modem to cpu, and the results were pretty much the same. I exhanged my Arris Docsis 2.0 Modem for a new TM822 Docsis 3.0, and was told I would have a noticeable increase in speed across the board...
So was the guy just bullshitting me when he said that?
I even got a new Asus RT-N12 wifi Router too, and my connection still sucks. So frustrating

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
kudos:3
reply to johnmac785

First off, new modem does not equal an increase in speed!

The answers to ExoticFish See Profile's questions would be most helpful in solving this problem.

Now, if you did make a change to your internet package with Comcast (went from Performance to Blast for example), and in doing so, you got a new modem, then yes, your speeds would go up. And if that was the case, and your speeds did not go up, then we have something to work with, and can make suggestions of what to do (signal levels, config files, and so on).

However, if you were on Performance before, and just swapped your modem, the level of service does not change (and your download / upload won't either) just because you changed modems.

The same applies for scotpig See Profile who posted above as well. Just because you go from a Docsis 2.0 modem to a Docsis 3.0 modem does not mean you will see an increase of speed. I would also suggest that scotpig See Profile start a new thread, so that we can keep things separate, and help both of you out. While the problem seems similar, there may be different steps involved in the troubleshooting side of things.

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

NetFixer
Snarl For The Camera Please
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
reply to scotpig

said by scotpig:

I exhanged my Arris Docsis 2.0 Modem for a new TM822 Docsis 3.0, and was told I would have a noticeable increase in speed across the board...
So was the guy just bullshitting me when he said that?

The short answer is yes.

The only way migrating from a DOCSIS 2 modem to a DOCSIS 3 modem would increase your speed would be if you were subscribed to a speed tier that required a DOCSIS 3 modem, and your old DOCSIS 2 modem simply could not deliver the bandwidth.

said by scotpig:

I even got a new Asus RT-N12 wifi Router too, and my connection still sucks. So frustrating

If you are actually having problems with your connection, follow the advice from plencnerb See Profile and start your own thread so that this thread does not get trashed.
--
We can never have enough of nature.
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

johnmac785

Ashburnham, MA

That is not totally true. Below is part of an email from Comcast -

Dear John,

Great news! Now you can do more online in half the time.
That's because we've automatically upgraded your XFINITY® Internet speed — and it won't cost you a penny more.

Shortly after receiving this email I received another with instructions on replacing my modem. I followed through with that, which brought me to this forum and the question originally posted. The speed remains the same as before on my laptop and 3 x's faster on my PC, both are running windows 7. The laptop is wireless, through an older Linksys router, so that may be issue slowing it down.

At any rate, the speed did substantially increase with the new modem and the PC which is wired to the router vs. wireless. I have reset the router and modem a number of times.

Thanks,

John

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
kudos:3

Ok, so what speed package do you have? In that e-mail from Comcast, does it list what your new speed is?

As far as your wireless connection, what kind of Linksys router do you have?

Knowing that your desktops that are hard wired to the router can see the new speed, it would seem like the wireless part is to old.

However, knowing what speed package you are on, and what speed you should be getting will help troubleshoot that.

For example, if you have a wireless A or B router, you won't get speeds above 5 MB (I think..I could be wrong). But, if its a Wireless G router, or a newer Wireless N, then you should have no problems.

But, we cannot say for sure its your router, if we don't know details.

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

NetFixer
Snarl For The Camera Please
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

1 edit
reply to johnmac785

said by johnmac785:

That is not totally true. Below is part of an email from Comcast -

Dear John,

Great news! Now you can do more online in half the time.
That's because we've automatically upgraded your XFINITY® Internet speed — and it won't cost you a penny more.

Perhaps a visit to your friendly neighborhood ophthalmologist is in order? What I posted regarding changing from a DOCSIS 2 modem to a DOCSIS 3 modem is absolutely true. The reason your speed increased is quite clearly explained in the bold text portion of your post that I reproduced above.

I also recently received a "free" speed upgrade, but it had absolutely nothing to do with any specific modem I use.
--
We can never have enough of nature.
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

n_w95482
Premium
join:2005-08-03
Ukiah, CA
reply to johnmac785

said by johnmac785:

The speed remains the same as before on my laptop and 3 x's faster on my PC, both are running windows 7. The laptop is wireless, through an older Linksys router, so that may be issue slowing it down.

Yep, that's definitely the problem there. The new speed you posted is about the max you'll get with an 802.11g wireless connection.
--
KI6RIT