MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
Netgear CG3000DCR
ZyXEL P-663HN-51

leibold to pandora

MVM

to pandora

Re: The renovation continues ... today new 400 amp service!

said by pandora:

Shouldn't the limit vary by home size and number of people residing in it?

It kind of does here. The utility sets a baseline amount that is based in part on the type of home, whether gas or electricity is used for hot water and heating as well as the climate zone it is located in (determining the number of heating or cooling days). That calculated baseline amount is less (50-60% in summer, 60-70% in winter) then what a typical home would consume as "an incentive to conserve energy" meaning that nearly everybody pays more then tier 1 rates (up to 100% of baseline). In total there are 5 tiers with pricing going up significantly after tier 2 (101% to 130% of baseline).
From personal experience it is no problem at all to get into tier 5 (over 300% of baseline).

Shouldn't it get cheaper if you buy in bulk ?
pandora
Premium Member
join:2001-06-01
Outland

pandora

Premium Member

said by leibold:

I defer to my current signature.
kherr
Premium Member
join:2000-09-04
Collinsville, IL

kherr to leibold

Premium Member

to leibold
said by leibold:

The more you use, the bigger their capacity has to be. Whether they buy more off the grid or build larger generating capacity.

There was an article here quite some time ago where the NSA was building a data center (spy center) in CO where they will us $45M a year just for electric. I forgot how many of 100,000s of square feet it is going to be. Needless to say, they will have there own sub station ....

sk1939
Premium Member
join:2010-10-23
Frederick, MD
ARRIS SB8200
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Juniper SRX320

sk1939

Premium Member

said by kherr:

said by leibold:

Needless to say, they will have there own sub station ....

Doesn't surprise me considering HQ has it's own power generating station.