spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

connor79

join:2011-11-02

[Voip.ms] Voip.ms Toronto datacentre is down

So frustrating, I wonder who runs this data centre? Our hosted Asterisk is in the exact same one, and now our phones are completely down with customers emailing us asking if we're using VoIP since they can't reach us. I can't access my PBX or toronto.voip.ms. The voip.ms site says Toronto DC issues. If you scroll through the past 3 months worth of issues, almost all of them are for the Toronto DC. I think I'm going to move my PBX to the Chicago centre as well as voip.ms but frustrating since it means starting everything from scratch, wish they'd get their act together and put some pressure on whoever operates this DC.

MartinM
VoIP.ms
Premium,VIP
join:2008-07-21
kudos:4
We're currently in discussion with a new data center provider in Toronto and deal should be done by next week.

Our Toronto provider has not been up to customer expectation and therefore we're moving to a new one.

I can understand customer frustration and we're taking action about it.
--
Martin - VoIP.ms

IPfaxer

join:2010-10-24
we are taking action as well
Expand your moderator at work

pende_tim
Premium
join:2004-01-04
Andover, NJ
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast

Re: [Voip.ms] Voip.ms Toronto datacentre is down

Hi MartinM,
Have you given any thought to making provisions for an automatic failover if a datacenter goes down? Something that would point the registration from the failed location to a working location, with no user intervention?

Tim
--
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.

decx
Premium
join:2002-06-07
Vancouver, BC
reply to connor79
said by connor79:

So frustrating, I wonder who runs this data centre?

The IPs for toronto and toronto2 servers belongs to Carat Networks based in Hamilton. According to Carat's FAQ they use a Rogers data centre in Hamilton. So technically both of the toronto servers aren't even in Toronto at all.

tmpchaos
Requiescat in pace
Numquam oblitus
join:2000-04-28
Hoboken, NJ
reply to Anon

(topic move) [Voip.ms] Voip.ms Toronto datacentre is down

Moderator Action
The post that was here (and all 10 followups to it), has been removed.

VexorgTR

join:2012-08-27
Sheffield Lake, OH
kudos:1
reply to connor79

Glad to see you're taking action. I don't want this to turn into another copy of my thread from October.

garys_2k
Premium
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI
Reviews:
·Callcentric
reply to decx
said by decx:

... technically both of the toronto servers aren't even in Toronto at all.

But just a quick hop down the "Queen E" to get there.

nitzan
Premium,VIP
join:2008-02-27
kudos:8
reply to MartinM

said by MartinM:

Our Toronto provider has not been up to customer expectation and therefore we're moving to a new one.

But, but... they have a great website! They must be good!

Yet another example of why website quality has nothing to do with quality of service.

(I am talking about caratnetworks.com - not Voip.MS, by the way!)

A_VoIPer

join:2009-11-04
And the copyright date on caratnetworks.com shows 2012, so they must be good .

As for the issues at the current Toronto datacenter, I'm glad plans are in the works to address them and I hope the new DC works out well.

decx
Premium
Vancouver, BC
reply to garys_2k
said by garys_2k:

said by decx:

... technically both of the toronto servers aren't even in Toronto at all.

But just a quick hop down the "Queen E" to get there.

Sure just 40 min down on the QEW, but that doesn't change the fact it should be hamilton.voip.ms and hamilton2.voip.ms.

taytong888

join:2005-06-20
Nepean, ON
reply to connor79
Toronto data center was down "briefly" around noon Saturday December 8, according to voip.ms.

hockeynomad

join:2007-06-19
Mississauga, ON
reply to connor79
Since I switched to Houston server from Toronto, no real issues

squircle

join:2009-06-23
Oakville, ON
reply to MartinM
I'm glad you're taking action; I've been told many times to switch to Seattle because it is "less crowded than the servers in Canada" (yeah, switch to the other side of the continent... right...). After having trouble with call completion with both Toronto and Montreal, I'm looking forward to the new location!

decx
Premium
Vancouver, BC
said by squircle:

I'm glad you're taking action; I've been told many times to switch to Seattle because it is "less crowded than the servers in Canada" (yeah, switch to the other side of the continent... right...). After having trouble with call completion with both Toronto and Montreal, I'm looking forward to the new location!

While I'm glad Voip.ms is taking action to switch data centre for the Toronto servers, it isn't the fix all solution. Switching data centre would definitely solve the occasional routing and server unreachable problems we've see with the Toronto servers, but issues we've seen with call completion and incoming calls may not entirely be data centre related.

squircle

Oakville, ON
That's totally true, but I hope they'd also take this opportunity to install more servers instead of simply moving the existing ones.

MichelR

join:2011-07-03
Ottawa, ON
reply to squircle
said by squircle:

I used the Chicago server for a while, but then I needed to contact TD Waterhouse and the 800 number didn't work, so I ended up switching back to the Montreal server. Never tried the Toronto servers since I've read of so many issues with them.

VapourTrails

join:2010-03-30
canada
said by MichelR:

I used the Chicago server for a while, but then I needed to contact TD Waterhouse and the 800 number didn't work,

Under 'account settings' find the 'account routing' tab, and set the toll-free termination carrier to 'Canadian Carrier' and you should be fine using any POP. I'm using the Seattle POP from BC.

decx
Premium
Vancouver, BC
reply to squircle
said by squircle:

That's totally true, but I hope they'd also take this opportunity to install more servers instead of simply moving the existing ones.

From what Martin has said it seems that this instance is a server move rather than additional servers.

MartinM
VoIP.ms
Premium,VIP
reply to decx
The new location is to take care of BOTH problems. Capacity and Data Center reliability.
--
Martin - VoIP.ms

squircle

Oakville, ON
said by MartinM:

The new location is to take care of BOTH problems. Capacity and Data Center reliability.

...and that makes me a very happy customer!

MartinM
VoIP.ms
Premium,VIP
Well, the good news is we have started testing equipment in a new Toronto Data Center. If all goes well, we would like to plan the move for the start of January.

We're also working on the following data centers to upgrade capacity for the fast growth we've had the last few months:

- New York
- Chicago
- Montreal
--
Martin - VoIP.ms

pauleyisle

@verizon.net
having problems with incoming calls, half the time they don't ring through, tried various servers you have and did not help, what are you doing to fix this? doesn't seem like moving in january one server will help

SCADAGeo

join:2012-11-08
N California
kudos:2
reply to connor79
said by MartinM:

Well, the good news is we have started testing equipment in a new Toronto Data Center. If all goes well, we would like to plan the move for the start of January.

We're also working on the following data centers to upgrade capacity for the fast growth we've had the last few months:

- New York
- Chicago
- Montreal

Very good news!

said by pauleyisle :

having problems with incoming calls, half the time they don't ring through, tried various servers you have and did not help, what are you doing to fix this? doesn't seem like moving in january one server will help

This is a symptom of the resource issue.

Some people will migrate back to the Toronto POP when it comes online.

This will free some resources at the other POP's.

The announcement of increased capacity at the other POP's will trigger the same effect.

Think of it as.... manual load balancing.