Calgary, AB

1 edit

Arthur Dent to Symtex

to Symtex

Re: [BC] TELUS High Speed Turbo 25 Usage being reduced 50%

said by Symtex:

said by Arthur Dent:

I have three questions for Symtex.
Does Telus guarantee that every Optik subscriber on the 3HD/1SD profile can watch 3HD channels 24/7?
Is the bitrate for one HD channel 5.5 or so mbps?
How much traffic is being generated per month by watching all 3 HD channels 24/7?

I believe only the HSIA bandwidth is calculate. The OptikTV stream are not part of the calculcation for bandwidth cap.

Of course not. So, the 6 terabytes or so of TV that one Optik subscriber can consume for a month can be had for 40 dollars (base package), but the 250 Gigs of Internet (that is 24 times less) costs 60 to 75 dollars.
So, apparently the TV traffic is dirt cheap and there are no bottlenecks and congestions with it. And since it is essentially the same thing and uses the same resources as the Internet traffic, I am glad we finally put an end to the hypothesis that Internet is more of a burden for Telus' network, calling for 24 times lower Internet bandwidth caps at substantially higher absolute prices.
Symtex
join:2005-04-06
Burnaby, BC

Symtex

said by Arthur Dent:

said by Symtex:

said by Arthur Dent:

I have three questions for Symtex.
Does Telus guarantee that every Optik subscriber on the 3HD/1SD profile can watch 3HD channels 24/7?
Is the bitrate for one HD channel 5.5 or so mbps?
How much traffic is being generated per month by watching all 3 HD channels 24/7?

I believe only the HSIA bandwidth is calculate. The OptikTV stream are not part of the calculcation for bandwidth cap.

Of course not. So, the 6 terabytes or so of TV that one Optik subscriber can consume for a month can be had for 40 dollars (base package), but the 250 Gigs (that is 24 times less) costs 60 to 75 dollars.
So, apparently the TV traffic is dirt cheap and there are no bottlenecks and congestions with it. And since it is essentially the same thing and uses the same resources as the Internet traffic, I am glad we finally put an end to the hypothesis that Internet is more of a burden for Telus' network, calling for 24 times lower bandwith caps and higher prices.

You are seeing it the wrong way. TELUS is taking a hit on bandwidth for OptikTV because its the cost of doing business. We can't tell an user, you can't watch a channel you are paying for because you went over the bandwidth cap. that is ridiculous.

The TV space is a different animal than HSIA space. You cannot compare the two.

AJM
@d-infinitum.com.mx

AJM

Anon

Another thing to remember is that the Optik data stream never goes out into the internet. It is run on internal TELUS networks which never hit the internet on-ramp.
Arthur Dent
join:2011-01-27
Calgary, AB

Arthur Dent to Symtex

to Symtex
said by Symtex:

You are seeing it the wrong way. TELUS is taking a hit on bandwidth for OptikTV because its the cost of doing business. We can't tell an user, you can't watch a channel you are paying for because you went over the bandwidth cap. that is ridiculous.

So, unlimited usage for TV traffic is doable and done - putting caps is "ridiculous", but putting ridiculous, 24 times lower caps on the much smaller and expensive Internet traffic is OK?
quote:
The TV space is a different animal than HSIA space. You cannot compare the two.

Not IP based maybe? Care to explain how the Optik TV abundant and cheap bitstream is different from the limited and insanely more expensive (in terms of monthly fee and bandwidth allocation by Telus) Netflix stream?

JammerMan79
Premium Member
join:2004-05-13
Prince George, BC

JammerMan79

Premium Member

uh... optik bandwidth is internal and internet (netflix) is external?

note: I'm not commenting on the overall situation
ruiner3
join:2012-03-10
Canada

ruiner3 to Arthur Dent

to Arthur Dent
said by Arthur Dent:

Not IP based maybe? Care to explain how the Optik TV abundant and cheap bitstream is different from the limited and insanely more expensive (in terms of monthly fee and bandwidth allocation by Telus) Netflix stream?

Optik is Unicast IP traffic for the first 30 secs and Multicast IP after that. So if 10 people on a DSLAM are watching a channel, in theory it is sent once and replicated to each of the subscribers to that multicast group (channel) and not ten times like an Optik On Demand (which has to be unicast) or Netflix stream.

Netflix/other internet traffic incur peering charges which as you noted are not that much. Considering only 5% of users are using most of the traffic that's not a lot of savings on peering fees.

So really it comes down to locking people into overpriced TV subscriptions for a bunch of rerun/reality crap.
Kruisey
join:2006-12-30
Vancouver, BC

Kruisey

So now I know when watching 'Dancing with the Stars' why they put up the caption'Live'
I suppose its because they don't wont us to think it is a bunch of rerun/ reality crap as you put it ?
ruiner3
join:2012-03-10
Canada

1 edit

ruiner3

Why are you so apologetic for a large company protecting their interest in an outdated business model? Did you accidentally run over the CEO's dog?

Tell me, do you watch 95% of the shows on there? The vast majority of it is the same thing on every channel, but you're forced into bundling all this crap that you have absolutely no interest in to get the few shows that you do watch.

Take National Geographic as an example. Here is what they say about their channel:
»natgeotv.com/ca/about-us
quote:
About the Network:

National Geographic Channel is Canada's only 24-hour source of entertaining information about the exotic, natural world we live in.

Exclusive programming events expose viewers to the world's leading adventurers, explorers, scientists, environmentalists, filmmakers and renowned photographers.

And here is what is actually on:
»natgeotv.com/ca/listings/ngc
quote:
Morning
8:00am
Battle Castle: Conwy Castle

9:00am
Canadian Pickers: Guys & Gas

10:00am
William Shatner's Weird or What?: Parallel Worlds

11:00am

Afternoon
12:00pm
The Dog Whisperer: The Dog Whisperer VI

1:00pm
Chasing UFO's: Alien Cowboys

2:00pm
Chasing UFO's: Abducted in Arizona

3:00pm
Chasing UFO's: Game of Drones

4:00pm
Alaska State Troopers: Armed and Dangerous

5:00pm

6:00pm
Canadian Pickers: Guys & Gas

Primetime
7:00pm

8:00pm

9:00pm

10:00pm

Late Evening
11:00pm

12:00am

1:00am

2:00am

3:00am

4:00am
Alaska State Troopers: Armed and Dangerous

5:00am
Ice Pilots NWT: Don't Muck with Chuck

6:00am

7:00am
The Re-Inventors: Earth Quake Detector

7:30am
The Re-Inventors: Battering Ram

Now please tell me what the hell UFO, Auction shows, Cops and the Dog Whisperer have to do with National Geographic. The same goes for basically every other channel out there.

Also, incase you hadn't noticed, yes Dancing with the Stars is another cheap to produce, filler reality show that's easier than producing quality content.

CallComplain
@telus.net

CallComplain to Kruisey

Anon

to Kruisey
The bottom line is file a complaint with the CCTS, and also call Telus ask for the loyalty and retention department and demand compensation for degrade of service you will be getting for the same price. If you cause enough of an issue they might do something for you.
Kruisey
Vancouver, BC

Kruisey

I personally am content with my services from Telus.
Many of us would like the Turbo 50 but it will come to us also.
Its only logical that Telus,Rogers,Shaw and Bell wont to discourage
heavy users of the internet.
We all know the reason for that now don't we?
Those 5% heavy loaders seem to have other ISP carriers in mind.Best of Luck to them I say.
I will stick by Telus because I am not a heavy loader so it will not make any difference to me whether its 500 or 250
WhosTheBosch
join:2009-12-02

WhosTheBosch

said by Kruisey:

I will stick by Telus because I am not a heavy loader so it will not make any difference to me whether its 500 or 250

It's asinine comments like this that will come back to bite you in the ass later. For some reason you have no problem with Telus halving your download cap for no reason. To put this another way if gas stations suddenly doubled the price of gas, I'm pretty sure you'd get pissed about that.

Also, the thing that bugs me most about your comment is how it "doesn't make a difference to you since you don't use much"... in the future when you do use more (And you will, you simply can't not use more bandwidth) they'll have you paying more money and you won't be able to complain one bit! You're the type of people who think that if you're not doing anything wrong then there's no problem with the government putting you under surveillance and only people who are doing things wrong have things to worry about.

I have no idea why you don't care about them completely screwing you on this. It's simply mind boggling.
Expand your moderator at work
Kruisey
Vancouver, BC

Kruisey to WhosTheBosch

to WhosTheBosch

Re: [BC] TELUS High Speed Turbo 25 Usage being reduced 50%

Hum it seems you can predict the future.
Be friendly and give me Friday's lottery numbers?
WhosTheBosch
join:2009-12-02

WhosTheBosch

said by Kruisey:

Hum it seems you can predict the future.
Be friendly and give me Friday's lottery numbers?

Please explain to me how your bandwidth needs won't go up in the future? Downloading a 720p DVD is what 4-6gb? What is the 1080p version 9-15gb depending on encoding properties probably. When 4k TVs come out do you expect people to be OK with the same 720p resolution which will look like crap on their expensive 4k TV? No, they'll want 4k media which will INCREASE THE BANDWITH they need as their media size increases. That doesn't take into account that websites, games, web apps will all be INCREASING in size and not decreasing.

If you have no problem with someone saying I'll give you X for Y amount of money, then later on saying you're only going to get X/2 for the same Y amount of money then you would be everyone's favorite customer. Oh, and I'm not a shill or troll, but if you think your bandwidth needs won't go up in the future you're in complete denial and I have some Walkmans to sell you.

Bauwoo
join:2003-12-07

Bauwoo to WhosTheBosch

to WhosTheBosch
If you signed a contract, you're stuck with these decisions. If you're not, go somewhere else.

Like you said, if they raised gas prices there are other things you can do than complain about this. Take a bus, ride a bike, walk.

Wanna protest, show Telus there are better ways than crying about it on forums. Quit their service. Telus cares more about your money than your words. If you can't afford to get out of contract, well that person is just dumb for getting into it and allowing Telus to sucker them into something legally they can do. Either way you have no right to complain about something being legally done for a contract you signed.

In the end, the majority doesn't give a crap about this cap decrease and if it does affect them then they are much more intelligent about handling it.
Ikarasu
join:2004-01-09
Port Coquitlam, BC

Ikarasu

said by Bauwoo:

If you signed a contract, you're stuck with these decisions. If you're not, go somewhere else.

Like you said, if they raised gas prices there are other things you can do than complain about this. Take a bus, ride a bike, walk.

Wanna protest, show Telus there are better ways than crying about it on forums. Quit their service. Telus cares more about your money than your words. If you can't afford to get out of contract, well that person is just dumb for getting into it and allowing Telus to sucker them into something legally they can do. Either way you have no right to complain about something being legally done for a contract you signed.

In the end, the majority doesn't give a crap about this cap decrease and if it does affect them then they are much more intelligent about handling it.

Telus is changing their TOS. Legally, you can get out of your contract with no early termination fee.

Bauwoo

Bauwoo

LOL, read your TOS. Telus reps are going to fun with you.
Ikarasu
join:2004-01-09
Port Coquitlam, BC

Ikarasu

Doesn't really matter what TOS says, or tries to say.

When you signed the contract, you signed up for specific terms - AKA, how much bandwidth they supply you.

If they change it, and dont grandfather you... Legally in canada you can get out of the contract. They have the right to change the contract (The users dont) But the users have the right to cancel the contract if they do.

I've gotten out of a Telus cell contract from it, very easily. Back when Bell out east changed their bandwidth, a lot of people opted to quit their contract with them too. It's a consumer protection law, Telus would be fined VERY big if they refused to let anyone out of their contract after they changed the terms of the contract, it'd be illegal for them.

Thats not saying you can get a free xbox 360 on a 3 year term contract, then cancel because of this and not have to return the Xbox. I'm pretty sure whatever free gifts you got, you have to return. But... you wont have to pay an early termination fee.

iwonsowillyo
@telus.net

iwonsowillyo to Bauwoo

Anon

to Bauwoo
@bauwoo,,, .
You are another example of why corporations screw consumers so badly. When less informed people think a company can change the terms of the contract(+ user terms) without repercussions you end up with the Bhells/Rogers/Shaws of Canada breaking the law and paying a small fine for the crime.
contracts are mutually agreed terms that both parties 100% agree. When a contract is written that gives corporation 100% of the terms, then contract considered illegal as it most probably violates consumer protection laws. Rights can not be taken away by a contracts wording or legalize.
Is your job pay based only on commission that is below the minimum wage for all your hours? then you are slave, which is illegal.
All parts of contracts that violate laws are considered null and void which will lead to the entire contract being null and void in a fair court of law. Companies will put in wording that says the illegal parts of contract won't make the rest null and void and thats a crime which no executive will do the time.

Did you know that 'arbitration'(which many consider to be illegal in contracts when it is written in a way to ban any lawsuits of single or class action) is to be a moderator who both parties mutually agree on using. An Arbitrator though causes a financial hardship to the consumer and can make arbitration illegal under those conditions. An arbitrator 100% picked by the corporation is not legal, as like with certain lawyers not disclosing they are associated with ICBC, the arbitrator will be biased.
You have the right to sue and take people/corporations/governments/officers to court, no matter what.

Net Neutrality violation is what this reduction of GB's is. Lowering caps on traffic coming from outside of Telus networks is the basis of all lowering of caps. Telus is still number 1 in quality of service in Canada but lowering of caps is a profit grab for those major investors who did not like the stock profit payouts from the last couple quarters. Stock price wars from shareholders are very damaging to the Telus brand.

laurelnhardy
@telus.net

laurelnhardy to WhosTheBosch

Anon

to WhosTheBosch
WhosTheBosch See Profile
You're the type of people who think that if you're not doing anything wrong then there's no problem with the government putting you under surveillance and only people who are doing things wrong have things to worry about.
TR6909 Firmware

I have no idea what your talking about.

It seems to only become a problem when its used to collect even more money from the customer. Thats when this activity becomes unpopular. After all most the time the customer is already paying 56% more for something they dont get and harrased ever time they call in with placating voice. Then to boot the customer service seems to be conditioned to lying and then even take pleasure in your pain and suffering. Yeah gets pretty obvious to some of us but the government doesn't seem to care about protecting the average canadian customer because the politics of the change would basically shut down the isp.

Bauwoo

Bauwoo to iwonsowillyo

to iwonsowillyo
Have fun with your legal fees.

sleepwithgov
@telus.net

sleepwithgov to iwonsowillyo

Anon

to iwonsowillyo
without repercussions you end up with the Bhells/Rogers/Shaws of Canada breaking the law and paying a small fine for the crime. All 14 customers pay there bill on time
I don't understand the process nor do I condone any type of isp's behavior but we all know dsl can't afford tech's half the time. This is fact they are kept around usually do to government subsity and if you see where I am going with this. The same problems come up. Not enough customer base , lines never upgraded, no fiber because customer base doesn't warrant it to be profitable no one is going to buy a 140 thousand dollar real of fiber just so you can play wow faster. Its not going to happen folks.

Myself I know that dsl is the way of the dodo bird and the government basically sleeps with the directors. Who Cares let cable golliaths with there private lines deal with and enormous profit margins like 30 grand a month? whats telus make like 300 bucks? Its tiring getting kicked off a network every 3-9 months and Im treated like dirt everywhere anyway and hated by the head techs because it causes " Pressure " ? Any way Its tough to be right all the time and have no influence on reality.