how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Vivere

join:2010-04-09

1 recommendation

Thinking of Creating a Petition, Need Advice

Hello everyone. I've had a lot of success in the past with helpful responses on dslreports to my questions about internet services, so here I am again I live in a rural area north of Jacksonburg, Ohio that is 1.3 miles by road from the nearest place (Paullin Drive) I know of with Time Warner Cable internet. I'm thinking of writing up a petition and going door to door in my area to see who all would be interested in TWC services if they provided them.

So my first question is, has anyone here had success with doing something like this, and if so, what was the content of your petition? I was thinking aside from stating that we wanted service, it would include signatures, addresses, and what services (internet, tv, phone) they were interested in. The reasoning for the last one is that if they were interested in multiple services, I'd think TWC would see it as more income that way. Is that a smart thing to include on the petition or not?

Secondly, how many households would you estimate I might have to get signatures from in order to make it worth it for them to provide the service? On the roads leading to my house and on my road, I'd estimate there are 30-40 houses, perhaps a handful more (I haven't actually counted them, just going by memory atm). Do you think if I got every single one of them to sign the petition, that that would be enough houses to make it worth it?

Thanks for your time in advance!

scoopr

@rr.com
I would seriously consider setting up a wireless link with that spot 1.3 miles away if DSL is not available either.

Vivere

reply to Vivere
I have been using 3g from Millenicom for 2 years already, and just recently switched to a fixed wireless provider a few days ago, only to find out that their service is massively sporadic/unstable. I'm going to end up going back to Millenicom in all likelihood, but I would really like to try the petition thing and see how it works out, too. If anyone has any answers to the questions I asked, I'd appreciate the input!

scoopr

@rr.com
I suggest finding a contact within TWC.

Vivere

Not sure that would really matter much. The voice of one employee is about as strong as the voice of one potential customer wanting service, unless I somehow became friends with whoever the bigwigs are in this area. That's more of a long shot than the petition, I'd say.

Fleeced

join:2012-10-06
kudos:2
reply to Vivere
TWC is kind of a pain. Are the houses clustered together? IF so they might service it, but they'd need x number of people to actually sign contracts for a year to get service before they'll move the lines out there. I remember they did that for a trailer park that had about 50 trailers and they required 20 of them to sign a contract for service before they'd service that particular area. You might find it difficult to get ahold of someone who has that information on the exact specifics though.

Vivere

I see. Well, that's helpful information nevertheless. Gives me an idea on what they expect. I may add a "willing to sign contract" checkbox thing on the petition and give it a go anyway, even though I'm pretty positive it won't matter, lol. Anything is worth a shot...not like it's going to cost me anything but a little time to try.

HSDays

join:2007-11-26
Reynoldsburg, OH
A petition isn't necessary, a cable co is going to do their own analysis and build despite a residents intentions to obtain services. You should start by getting in touch with the local construction and engineering department. This shouldn't be too difficult. Call or stop by the local office and someone will provide you with a contact. You should realize that building in rural areas is very expensive, this is why they haven't built in your area already. A lot of times the cable cos will expect the customer to incur a portion of that cost.

Something else to consider is the possibility of rural fiber in the near future. There has been a lot of building going on in rural Ohio over the last couple of years, this may be something coming soon to your area.

grasshopper

join:2003-04-07
Port Byron, NY
reply to Vivere
Rural areas that are likely to remain rural (farms) are not likely to get cable service unless the route is on the way to a more populated area. The cables tend to follow state roads from one municipality to the next. It's just not cost effective to run miles of cable for a few customers.