share rss forum feed

MartinM
VoIP.ms
Premium,VIP
join:2008-07-21
kudos:4
reply to connor79

Re: [Voip.ms] Voip.ms Toronto datacentre is down

We're currently in discussion with a new data center provider in Toronto and deal should be done by next week.

Our Toronto provider has not been up to customer expectation and therefore we're moving to a new one.

I can understand customer frustration and we're taking action about it.
--
Martin - VoIP.ms

IPfaxer

join:2010-10-24
we are taking action as well

nitzan
Premium,VIP
join:2008-02-27
kudos:8
reply to MartinM
said by MartinM:

Our Toronto provider has not been up to customer expectation and therefore we're moving to a new one.

But, but... they have a great website! They must be good!

Yet another example of why website quality has nothing to do with quality of service.

(I am talking about caratnetworks.com - not Voip.MS, by the way!)

A_VoIPer

join:2009-11-04
And the copyright date on caratnetworks.com shows 2012, so they must be good .

As for the issues at the current Toronto datacenter, I'm glad plans are in the works to address them and I hope the new DC works out well.

squircle

join:2009-06-23
Oakville, ON
reply to MartinM
I'm glad you're taking action; I've been told many times to switch to Seattle because it is "less crowded than the servers in Canada" (yeah, switch to the other side of the continent... right...). After having trouble with call completion with both Toronto and Montreal, I'm looking forward to the new location!

decx
Premium
join:2002-06-07
Vancouver, BC
said by squircle:

I'm glad you're taking action; I've been told many times to switch to Seattle because it is "less crowded than the servers in Canada" (yeah, switch to the other side of the continent... right...). After having trouble with call completion with both Toronto and Montreal, I'm looking forward to the new location!

While I'm glad Voip.ms is taking action to switch data centre for the Toronto servers, it isn't the fix all solution. Switching data centre would definitely solve the occasional routing and server unreachable problems we've see with the Toronto servers, but issues we've seen with call completion and incoming calls may not entirely be data centre related.

squircle

Oakville, ON
That's totally true, but I hope they'd also take this opportunity to install more servers instead of simply moving the existing ones.

MichelR

join:2011-07-03
Ottawa, ON
reply to squircle
said by squircle:

I used the Chicago server for a while, but then I needed to contact TD Waterhouse and the 800 number didn't work, so I ended up switching back to the Montreal server. Never tried the Toronto servers since I've read of so many issues with them.

VapourTrails

join:2010-03-30
canada
said by MichelR:

I used the Chicago server for a while, but then I needed to contact TD Waterhouse and the 800 number didn't work,

Under 'account settings' find the 'account routing' tab, and set the toll-free termination carrier to 'Canadian Carrier' and you should be fine using any POP. I'm using the Seattle POP from BC.

decx
Premium
join:2002-06-07
Vancouver, BC
reply to squircle
said by squircle:

That's totally true, but I hope they'd also take this opportunity to install more servers instead of simply moving the existing ones.

From what Martin has said it seems that this instance is a server move rather than additional servers.

MartinM
VoIP.ms
Premium,VIP
reply to decx
The new location is to take care of BOTH problems. Capacity and Data Center reliability.
--
Martin - VoIP.ms

squircle

Oakville, ON
said by MartinM:

The new location is to take care of BOTH problems. Capacity and Data Center reliability.

...and that makes me a very happy customer!

MartinM
VoIP.ms
Premium,VIP
Well, the good news is we have started testing equipment in a new Toronto Data Center. If all goes well, we would like to plan the move for the start of January.

We're also working on the following data centers to upgrade capacity for the fast growth we've had the last few months:

- New York
- Chicago
- Montreal
--
Martin - VoIP.ms

pauleyisle

@verizon.net
having problems with incoming calls, half the time they don't ring through, tried various servers you have and did not help, what are you doing to fix this? doesn't seem like moving in january one server will help

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON
kudos:10
reply to MartinM
Link back to a thread in Canadian Broadband, more than a little related.

»voip.ms Toronto servers

Mike

MichelR

join:2011-07-03
Ottawa, ON
reply to VapourTrails
said by VapourTrails:

said by MichelR:

I used the Chicago server for a while, but then I needed to contact TD Waterhouse and the 800 number didn't work,

Under 'account settings' find the 'account routing' tab, and set the toll-free termination carrier to 'Canadian Carrier' and you should be fine using any POP. I'm using the Seattle POP from BC.

Did that a couple of days ago when I switched to the Chicago server. Thanks for the tip!