Premium
join:2001-08-25
Kendall, FL
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Comcast

iPhone 3G -> iPhone 5

Hi All,

My boss currently has an iPhone 3G, and she just bought an iPhone 5. She asked me to help her set it up and transfer all her photos, etc to the new phone.

I don't think she has ever updated the OS on the phone, or even backed it up.

The phone should update to the latest available OS without any hitch?

I'm thinking maybe I should just start from scratch though. Manually backup her photos, and then copy them to her new phone, and setup her e-mail and download her apps all over again.

Thoughts on the best way to proceed?
--
CheckSite.us | YourIP.us | Reverseip.us

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS
For what it's worth, I "restored" my brand new iPhone 5 from a backup of my jailbroken iPhone 4 and it worked very well.

Depending on the amount of content and apps, etc it might be easier to start from scratch. I, on the other hand, have years of stuff that I didn't want to have sift through to sync from scratch.

The phone should update to the latest available OS without any hitch?

I updated from 6.0 to 6.0.1 the second day without any problems.
--
♬ Music is life ♬

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to Rob
Personally I'd have her back it up then restore the iPhone 5 from iPhone 3G back-up. The back-up only includes photo's, settings, apps, music, etc, not the OS.

You should be able to get everything done in an hour or so.

For the record, I bought my daughter the news iPod Touch 5th Gen and restored it from the iPod touch 2G she had. Flawless.

And if it doesn't work like it should, then do it your way.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

not

@comcast.net
reply to Rob
Just plug the old iPhone into iTunes and back it up. Then plug the new one in and restore from that backup. All her personal info and settings will be on the new one, including messages, email accounts settings, photos, etc. Simple. All she'll have to do after that is just to confirm the email account passwords on the new phone and you're done.

djrobx
Premium
join:2000-05-31
Valencia, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VOIPO
reply to J E F F
Agree with others. I don't recommending starting over from scratch if you don't know her that well. Some people freak out about losing text conversations, and there may be settings and data in there that you just don't know about. You're going to be on the hook for everything she doesn't know how to put back to the way it was, so your best bet is to use the backup/restore function.

Unfortunately the iPhone doesn't offer a method to selectively restore data.

said by J E F F:

Personally I'd have her back it up then restore the iPhone 5 from iPhone 3G back-up. The back-up only includes photo's, settings, apps, music, etc, not the OS.

iTunes backups do not include music, videos, apps. Only photos taken on the phone will be included in the backup.

The expectation is that stuff from external sources will be re-synced again. If your boss does not have her music library present, she will need to take her phone home to get it again.
--
AT&T U-Hearse - RIP Unlimited Internet 1995-2011
Rethink Billable.

Elite

join:2002-10-03
Orange, CT
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

1 edit
reply to Rob
The iPhone 3G can't run anything beyond iOS 4.2.1. Actually, the iPhone 3G runs like complete and total shit on iOS 4.2.1. 3.1.3 was the best version for the iPhone 3G.

IIRC, you can't restore older version iOS backups into newer versions of iOS. Minor things like restoring a 6.0 backup into iOS 6.0.1 work, but I don't believe a 4.2.1 backup into iOS 6.0.1 will work. Try anyway though, as I may be incorrect.

If it doesn't work... you really need to ask her what she needs saved, in regards to app data, contacts, pictures, etc (app data will actually be quite hard to back up, if even possible). Many of the newest versions of applications require a much higher minimum iOS version than the iPhone 3G best case scenario of 4.2.1. Many apps require 4.3, and some even require 5.x. On a side note, many people didn't update iOS before OTA updates because they never plugged the phone into a computer.

You may end up, ultimately in the end, better off by starting with a fresh slate and manually downloading apps and importing photos, contacts, etc etc. Or I could be totally wrong and the restore from backup thing will work...

Edit: formatting
--
QUAD!!!!

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS
said by Elite:

IIRC, you can't restore older version iOS backups into newer versions of iOS.[...]Try anyway though, as I may be incorrect.

Yes, you can restore from an older version iOS backup to a newer version. Though I didn't mention it, my iPhone 4 was running iOS 5.x and my new iPhone 5 was iOS 6.0. Restoring from backup is more about the settings, messages, photos and has nothing to do with the firmware versions / OS itself.
--
♬ Music is life ♬

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
Kendall, FL
reply to Rob
Thanks all.

I guess I'll back it up first, then update the iOS, then backup again, then restore the IP5 with the backup.

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ
kudos:1
Thats what I would do

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
Kendall, FL
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Rob
Just wanted to update that I was able to backup her 3G and restore her IP5 with the backup. However, something happened with the 3G and it was restored to factory (I'm thinking when it upgraded the iOS?).
--
CheckSite.us | YourIP.us | Reverseip.us