Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

RemyM

join:2005-02-14
Stamford, CT
kudos:1

OOL going up $5 on 1/1/13

Cablevision Systems said it will increase the cost of its broadband service by $5 per month in 2013, which will result in an average increase of 3.2% for Optimum Online customers who are not currently on a promotional rate.

»www.multichannel.com/distributio ··· h/140584

IllIlIlllIll
EliteData
Premium
join:2003-07-06
Hampton Bays, NY
kudos:7
i still value the internet with a $5 hike though when you take into consideration the other cable internet providers in the USA with their ridiculous capping and overage policies and speeds that dont come close to CV's
--
Suffolk County NY Police Feed - »www.scpdny.com
PS3 Gaming Feed - »www.livestream.com/elitedata
Expand your moderator at work

RickNY
Premium
join:2000-11-02
Farmingville, NY
reply to RemyM

Re: OOL going up $5 on 1/1/13

Still a tremendous value.. They have done a good job holding down the rates on OOL while upgrading the performance.

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
reply to IllIlIlllIll
This sucks

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ
reply to RemyM
Could be worse

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey
$140/month for TV+Internet is pretty bad.

majortom1029

join:2006-10-19
Lindenhurst, NY
reply to RemyM
Doesn't that make it still $15 cheaper then fios for internet only?

n2jtx

join:2001-01-13
Glen Head, NY
reply to RemyM
When I first signed up in August 2001, it was $39.95/month. About six months into my one year contract (remember those?) it went to $49.95 but I was still in contract. Sadly I think this hike is going into effect because FiOS is no longer real competition and this is probably the start of a yearly hikes.
--
I support the right to keep and arm bears.

ilsno

@optonline.net
reply to RickNY
Its the first increase in a decade. I dont find it unreasonable at all.

Network Guy
Premium
join:2000-08-25
New York
kudos:2
reply to RemyM
Double and triple play promo customers aren't affected. You bet this will change very soon.

$5 extra still not bad though.

majortom1029

Lindenhurst, NY
reply to n2jtx
said by n2jtx:

When I first signed up in August 2001, it was $39.95/month. About six months into my one year contract (remember those?) it went to $49.95 but I was still in contract. Sadly I think this hike is going into effect because FiOS is no longer real competition and this is probably the start of a yearly hikes.

I bet its more due to sandy. From What I have been told cablevisions network took a beating. A lot of wires have to be changed out . Wires that did not get disconnected got stretched and had to be replaced anyway.

Cablevision doesn't have the luxury of getting money from the government to offset things like this.

jaa
Premium
join:2000-06-13
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Optimum Online
reply to RemyM
Verizon said it will take until May to get service restored in lower Manhattan. Bloomberg want it faster - I'm sure he'll have little patience seeing them build out FIOS in other tri-state areas until they finish fixing lower Manhattan, Staten Island, and Long Island.

So, not much competition from Verizon.

I think I would still rather pay current rates for the old 10/1 speeds, rather than pay another $5. But I must admit I've gotten used to the 15/2 speeds and would have trouble going back.

I'm on promotion for another 11 months though...
--
NOTHING justifies terrorism. We don't negotiate with terrorists. Those that support terrorists are terrorists.

momcat1
No Relation To The Bobcat

join:2002-10-21
Wappingers Falls, NY
I think they owe us something back since we've never had a promotional price, not even from the beginning. No reduced rates for a year, nothing.

cablewizzard

join:2009-06-14
Hicksville, NY

1 recommendation

reply to RemyM
A joke of a hike, compared to anyone and anything else:

US inflation from 2002 to 2012 was....drumroll...: 28.6%

To match that (for say: $45/month standalone service? I haven't been outside of a double/triple-play bundle, ever), they'd have to hike it by $12.80 just to match inflation.

People might argue that broadband became cheaper, but reality is: materials to build outside plant didn't become cheaper (price of copper increased a bit lately, eh?), labor didn't become cheaper, pole rights didn't either.

And subs expected, and consumed, 50% more bandwidth year after year (a 57x increase), that basically increased cost at almost exact inverse rate at which the transport got cheaper...

StudioTech
Off The Air

join:2001-10-10
Edison, NJ
reply to RemyM
Let's also remember that 10 years ago, we were all trying our best to get to 8 Mb/s (most were still hovering around 3 or below) and now we have double that speed.

MxxCon

join:1999-11-19
Brooklyn, NY
reply to cablewizzard
said by cablewizzard:

People might argue that broadband became cheaper, but reality is: materials to build outside plant didn't become cheaper (price of copper increased a bit lately, eh?), labor didn't become cheaper, pole rights didn't either.

And subs expected, and consumed, 50% more bandwidth year after year (a 57x increase), that basically increased cost at almost exact inverse rate at which the transport got cheaper...

do you have factual numbers to back up your cost claims and breakdown between equipment cost vs infra cost?
--
[Sig removed by Administrator: signature can not exceed 20GB]

MxxCon

Brooklyn, NY
reply to jaa
said by jaa:

Verizon said it will take until May to get service restored in lower Manhattan. Bloomberg want it faster

Our apartment complex in Brooklyn near Brighton Beach still doesn't have VZ service fixed. Maintenance office had to get phone lines and numbers from elsewhere to answer residents' calls.
--

MxxCon

Brooklyn, NY
reply to majortom1029
said by majortom1029:

I bet its more due to sandy. From What I have been told cablevisions network took a beating. A lot of wires have to be changed out . Wires that did not get disconnected got stretched and had to be replaced anyway.

Cablevision doesn't have the luxury of getting money from the government to offset things like this.

Why do you say that? Why wouldn't they get huge tax write-offs and disaster relief funds?
--

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey
said by MxxCon:

said by majortom1029:

Why do you say that? Why wouldn't they get huge tax write-offs and disaster relief funds?

And I'm sure CV's physical plant is insured. It better be.

NJ Transit intentionally parked a billion dollars worth of trains in a flood zone and they don't care because insurance is paying for it.

kdshapiro

join:2000-03-29
Eatontown, NJ
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
said by Bob4:

said by MxxCon:

said by majortom1029:

And I'm sure CV's physical plant is insured. It better be.

NJ Transit intentionally parked a billion dollars worth of trains in a flood zone and they don't care because insurance is paying for it.

That's called theft, and people will go to jail, if it was a deliberate move. However, a remark like that seems outrageous even by NJ standards.
--
Ken

pa prowler

join:2003-09-11
Matamoras, PA
reply to RemyM
It would be nice if they bumped up the basic tier to 30/5 to go along with that increase. Won't be holding my breath for that, though.

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey
Considering they lowered the download speed by 15% recently, I don't see them raising it.

JoeSchmoe007
Premium
join:2003-01-19
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
said by Bob4:

Considering they lowered the download speed by 15% recently, I don't see them raising it.

Is there anything "official" on lowering download speed? I did notice that I no longer get 20MBit download (on lowest tier), more like 18.* (still higher than advertised 15)

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey

majortom1029

Lindenhurst, NY
reply to MxxCon
said by MxxCon:

said by majortom1029:

I haven't seen anything in the news about cablevision getting disaster relief funds. Also tax write offs only get you so far. They also would most likely get the same problems with the insurance companies that homeowners have.

RickNY
Premium
join:2000-11-02
Farmingville, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to MxxCon
said by MxxCon:

Why do you say that? Why wouldn't they get huge tax write-offs

I always get a kick out of when people say a company will get a tax write-off, whether it be from bad debts or losses incurred.

If you incur a $1000 loss, and you are able to write 100% of it off, the only thing that gets you is a reduction in your taxable income by $1000. With a corporate tax rate of 35%, the write-off gets you $350 off of your tax bill. That's it. You still have a $1000 item that needs to be replaced. Only now you will have to spend another $650 to do so instead of $1000.

Plus, your write-off is net of insurance proceeds from the loss... If it is insured for the full cost of replacing it, you don't get to write it off.. But your insurance is likely to cost you more in the future, and if you are Cablevision, guess who pays for that??

free2scour
Go Rangers

join:2000-11-24
Ronkonkoma, NY
reply to RemyM
Would be nice to see some competition in the Town of Crookhaven at least.......guess that's never gonna happen.
--
"America will never seek a permission slip to defend the security of our people."-George W. Bush

Holbrook

@optonline.net
reply to RemyM
I'm not sure why more people don't mind the price increase.

You guys realize there are multiple other countries around the world getting 100mb unmetered internet for about $20-30 US per month right?

Cablevision is laughing to the bank with the amount of $ they charge us.

limegrass69
Here's my Posting tag

join:2008-05-28
Let's move!!!!