spc
uniqs

mmainprize
join:2001-12-06
Houghton Lake, MI

mmainprize to ccallana

to ccallana

Re: Office 2013 install - won't open files

With all that failed installs, uninstalls both 32 and 64 bits, you may have a license problem.

You can run these commands and find out just how many licenses you have listed and there status.

Open an administrative level command prompt. (To do this, click on the Start Menu, type cmd in the Start Menu search box, right-click on the Command Prompt entry and select Run as administrator.)
After opening the elevated command prompt, navigate to the Office15 folder:
32-bit Office on 64-bit OS, use the command: "cd %PROGRAMFILES(X86)%\Microsoft Office\Office15"
32-bit Office on 32-bit OS and 64-bit Office on 64-bit OS, use the command: “cd %PROGRAMFILES%\Microsoft Office\Office15“
Now, execute the following command: “cscript ospp.vbs /dstatus“

This will list what licesnes are installed in the system. If you want to you can remove some of them buy this command and the last digits shown in the list from above.

Type this command: cscript ospp.vbs /unpkey:XXXXX
- Where XXXXX is the last 5 characters of the product key that you want to uninstall

If for some reason you have no license keys listed or no key onstalled for Office 2013 you can add a key from the control panel "Program and Features" select Office 2013 and select change, then change Product Key.

ccallana
Huh?
Premium Member
join:2000-08-03
Folsom, CA

ccallana

Premium Member

I walked through that command - added my key, and activated, removed the Grace version... still nothing.

It is the only one listed there.

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ

Premium Member

Which OS version are you installing on? Because at this point I'm thinking you have issues there. The only other possibility might be a really out of date video driver since office 2013 uses a lot of graphics acceleration.

Did you check the event log to see what/if its crying for help before an app dies on launch?

google for checking event log windows if you don't know how to check the event logs.

ccallana
Huh?
Premium Member
Folsom, CA

ccallana

Premium Member

Sure enough, an Error entry in the logs every time I try to open an app - I did some quick searching and don't see anything on this (not a deep search yet however.)

Faulting application name: EXCEL.EXE, version: 15.0.4420.1017, time stamp: 0x50673286
Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00000000
Faulting process id: 0x1a54
Faulting application start time: 0x01cdd45009cc727e
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office15\EXCEL.EXE
Faulting module path: unknown
Report Id: 478c9551-4043-11e2-bc8c-bcaec5ce9c3a

Event data reads:
EXCEL.EXE
unknown
c0000005
1a54
01cdd45009cc727e
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office15\EXCEL.EXE
unknown
478c9551-4043-11e2-bc8c-bcaec5ce9c3a

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ

Premium Member

»social.technet.microsoft ··· c324e56/

Try it in safe mode, and then you should be able to identify and disable whatever addon is failing. The error is an access violation error, which could mean any number of things.

ccallana
Huh?
Premium Member
Folsom, CA

ccallana

Premium Member

No dice.... disabled all add-ons, apps still not working.

The other thing mentioned in that thread, VS Studio, I do not have installed.

Never seen anything like this before.....

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ

Premium Member

said by ccallana:

No dice.... disabled all add-ons, apps still not working.

The other thing mentioned in that thread, VS Studio, I do not have installed.

Never seen anything like this before.....

That leaves drivers. Video drivers. What OS version? What hardware?

ccallana
Huh?
Premium Member
Folsom, CA

ccallana

Premium Member

This system was running Office 2010 without issue.

Gen 3 Core i5 (Ivy Bridge) with latest graphics drivers (recently upgraded from a Gen 2 Sandy Bridge)
H67 ASUS motherboard
No fancy devices

Fairly basic system

Windows 7, currently patched up.

No other app has any issues on this system. Photoshop, Lightroom, media players, etc...

auggy
Mod
join:2001-12-24
Brockville, ON

auggy

Mod

If you restart the computer in "Safe Mode with networking" does the same problem exist?

ccallana
Huh?
Premium Member
Folsom, CA

ccallana

Premium Member

Interesting results when run in OS Safe Mode -

App opens, but because it is the first time, Office tries to do some configuration, and when it does, I get this error:

Error 1920. Service 'Office Software Protection Platform' (osppsvc) failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services.

So I cancel that, and it keeps going, trying to install a 64 bit service, then I get this error:

Sorry, office can't start when Windows is in safe mode.

Same thing happens if I try and run the app as administrator.

Tried both Excel and Word.

My OS is legit, as is my copy of Office (both MSDN licensed)

auggy
Mod
join:2001-12-24
Brockville, ON

auggy

Mod

Also, since you can open Office apps in Safe Mode but cannot run them because it is Safe Mode try configuring a "clean boot" and then see if you can open and run Office apps in Normal Mode:

»support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Follow Step 1 to clean boot.