Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer to inoudo

Premium Member

to inoudo

Re: [General] Free Temporary upgrade

said by inoudo:

BTW, can anyone tell me the chances of 6MBps operating on a line that has the following stats (I only have a Westell 2200 to obtain line stats- NO MAX SYNCH info available)

SN 20 db
Atten 43.5 db
DSL Rate 384kbits/s , 3552kbits/s

I get reliably 2.8 MBps on speed tests. The reliable part is why I haven't gone comcast.

You are at the max sync rate for the 3mbps service using a standard ANSI ADSL connection, and your current SN margin might allow you to sync at a 6mbps rate if your account is changed to allow it (you won't really know until you try it).

I think the biggest problem might be with the older Westel 2200 since I don't think it will be able to use ADSL2(+). If you are physically connected to a ADSL2(+) capable DSLAM, a newer modem that can take advantage of ADSL2(+) would give you a better chance of getting a reliable 6mbps sync rate. Perhaps opening a thread in the »AT&T Direct forum and supplying your account information might let you know if your DSLAM is ADSL2(+) capable.
inoudo
join:2002-01-19
Marietta, GA

inoudo

Thanks NetFixer.

"I think the biggest problem might be with the older Westel 2200..."

Actually the Westell is my newer modem since I'm running my original Alactel Speedtouch Home in bridged mode with a Linksys WRT54GS for home networking all of the time. The Westell is backup for support (BS/ATT used to support it, Don't know nowadays since I haven't had any problems in years).

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by inoudo:

Thanks NetFixer.

"I think the biggest problem might be with the older Westel 2200..."

Actually the Westell is my newer modem since I'm running my original Alactel Speedtouch Home in bridged mode with a Linksys WRT54GS for home networking all of the time. The Westell is backup for support (BS/ATT used to support it, Don't know nowadays since I haven't had any problems in years).

You can't really beat the reliability of the old Alcatel STH modems for standard ANSI ADSL service. I still have one that worked perfectly until I was forced to retire it when AT&T/BellSouth changed their PPPoE handshaking several years ago and made it incompatible with the router I was using at the time.

The reason I suggested a newer ADSL2(+) modem is because you appear to be at the borderline for being able to get a good reliable sync for 6 mbps service using standard ANSI ADSL. If your DSLAM supports ADSL2(+), the extended reach of that technology would improve your chances of a successful 6 mbps connection.