join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC
kudos:17
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico

1 recommendation

Facebook says it won't use data from private photos

quote:
Responding to concerns about its new Photo Sync feature for smartphone users, Facebook said Tuesday that it won't use data from pictures that are automatically uploaded to users' private albums on the social network, unless the user shares them.

Facebook recently began offering an optional service that will automatically upload photos from a user's iPhone or Android smartphone, while promising to store them in a digital album that keeps the photos private until the user decides to post them on a Facebook page or share them with friends.

Some analysts raised the possibility this week that Facebook might analyze private photos for digital clues about where they were taken or even the identities of people in the photos, perhaps applying that information in the same way it relies on other user data to determine which ads and other messages are shown to different users.
Article

• »www.facebook.com/help/photosync
• »newsroom.fb.com/News/542/Photo-Sync
Facebook makes huge data grab by aggressively promoting photo sync
How to disable photo sync
Facebook photo sync, nine things you need to know

--
Donne-moi des peanuts, j’m’en va te chanter "Alouette" sans fausse note

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
And will that include not providing the photos to whatever agency requests them if they have a warrant? Or even if they don't have a warrant, if the agency asks saying "pretty please"? Regardless, the assurance all revolves around a corporation's "saying" something... not a legal, binding contract. If Facebook changes what they "say" tonight, there's zip that any user can do about it. Even if the user deletes his photos, backup tapes will still exist, somewhere, for some time to come. Users need to keep that clearly in mind with respect to whatever they choose to upload...
--
“The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.” A. de Tocqueville

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium
Montreal, QC
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico

1 recommendation

What is of real concern, (other than Facebook datamining all your uploaded photos, is:
Some analysts raised the possibility this week that Facebook might analyze private photos for digital clues about where they were taken or even the identities of people in the photos, perhaps applying that information in the same way it relies on other user data to determine which ads and other messages are shown to different users.

Many, who see these new Facebook whoopie features, enable them immediately. The other concern is the possibility of users exceeding monthly Mobile datapackages by using this service by virtue of leaving the service photo syncing over wireless in lieu of WiFi.

ashrc4
Premium
join:2009-02-06
australia
reply to siljaline
This may catch a few people out!!!!!!!

"If you enable the feature, your last 20 photographs and every subsequent photo you take, will be automatically uploaded in the background to a private Facebook album. So you may want to check what photos you have already taken first."

»nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2012/12···comments
--
Paradigm Shift beta test pilot. "Dying to defend one's small piece of suburb...Give me something global...STAT!

siljaline
Premium
Montreal, QC
If you disable synch on your phone and flush your Facebook account of any uploaded photos, you should be OK.

ashrc4
Premium
join:2009-02-06
australia

1 recommendation

IF

siljaline
Premium
Montreal, QC

1 recommendation

Or don't use the service, at all.

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:12

1 recommendation

reply to siljaline

quote:
Facebook says it won't use data from private photos

Anyone who believes this is an idiot!

siljaline
Premium
Montreal, QC
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico

1 recommendation

All you need to know is here, Dude111 See Profile
»www.facebook.com/help/409007099162779/

goalieskates
Premium
join:2004-09-12
land of big

3 recommendations

reply to siljaline

Re: Facebook says it won't use data from private photos

All of Facebook's promises have short expiration dates. Caveat emptor.

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch
kudos:2
reply to siljaline
Politicians
Used car salesmen
Facebook

in that order of trust.
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

carpetshark3
Premium
join:2004-02-12
Idledale, CO

1 recommendation

Google does it too. First with Picasa, and now +. Discussed as people were getting duplicates or couldn't delete photos from albums ON PHONE itself.

siljaline
Premium
Montreal, QC
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico

1 recommendation

reply to StuartMW
I didn't post the topic to re-invent Facebook privacy or security
The links are there, this has been investigated thoroughly.
Other than talk nuances of Facebook, there's not a lot more to say.

siljaline
Premium
Montreal, QC
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
reply to carpetshark3
said by carpetshark3:

Google does it too. First with Picasa, and now +. Discussed as people were getting duplicates or couldn't delete photos from albums ON PHONE itself.

Thanks for this, carpetshark3 See Profile good to know other services share your information as best possible, to their advantage.

siljaline
Premium
Montreal, QC
reply to carpetshark3
Facial recognition privacy, security nothing new