share rss forum feed

Caddyroger
Premium
join:2001-06-11
To the west
Reviews:
·Comcast

Metal box for sockets

I have tried to find where I can find some metal boxes for my sockets. Right they are in a large drawer. I would like to sort them out by America(can not think what it called for inch) or metric. and 1/4, 3/8 drive. Could some one let me know of a place that have them?
--
Caddy

Aranarth

join:2011-11-04
Stanwood, MI

The word you want is "Standard" or "English".

I would try your local automotive store, they commonly have things like that for sockets etc. Napa, canadian tire, autozone etc.

mocycler
Premium
join:2001-01-22
kudos:1
reply to Caddyroger

Harbor Freight is good for stuff like this. Check them out.

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium
join:2005-01-20
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico

1 recommendation

reply to Caddyroger

Have you considered socket rails? For the least expensive metal ones the rail is common size, on to it clips the little socket spring clips which can be 1/4" 3/8" or 1/2".

The clips look like this: »grabcad.com/library/1-2-socket-rail-clip

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC
kudos:2

I'll second that.

bryank

join:2000-03-23
Plainfield, IL
reply to Caddyroger

I use these in my tool box for all non-deep wall sockets

»www.sears.com/craftsman-socket-o···kType=G1

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7
reply to Thane_Bitter

said by Thane_Bitter:

Have you considered socket rails? For the least expensive metal ones the rail is common size, on to it clips the little socket spring clips which can be 1/4" 3/8" or 1/2".

I've never seen rails with those types of clips where the clips lasted long term. There's nothing worse than picking up the rail and half of them fall out. Or you bump them while working on a car and they fall down in the engine compartment.

I have several sets of magnetic holders like this that have held quite well. I also have several sizes of these. They don't hold super strong as the magnets are basically like the roll magnets you can buy for crafts, but they would do a good job in a metal tool box holding them put and easily to pull out.

garys_2k
Premium
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI
Reviews:
·Callcentric
·callwithus
reply to bryank

said by bryank:

I use these in my tool box for all non-deep wall sockets

»www.sears.com/craftsman-socket-o···kType=G1

Thanks! My socket rails are notorious for letting go, I'm going to have to take a look at those next time I'm near a Sears.

shdesigns
Powered By Infinite Improbabilty Drive
Premium
join:2000-12-01
Stone Mountain, GA
Reviews:
·EarthLink
·Comcast
·Atlantic Nexus

I have the Sears rails that are over 30 years old. Have no problem of the clips coming off.

The cheap Horror Freight one do not work as well.

I'd prefer the magnetic carriers as my drawers are not tall enough to hold sockets vertically. I prefer smaller holders I can take out a set at a time to the work rather than running back and forth to the tool cabinet.
--
Scott Henion

Embedded Systems Consultant,
SHDesigns home - DIY Welder

rockotman
...Blown On The Steel Breeze
Emerging Research
join:2000-08-06
DSotM
kudos:2
reply to Caddyroger

Another vote for the rails - I have rails from the 70's that still hold sockets quite nicely. Both 3/8" and 1/2". I have a 3/8" rail from Snap-On and another from Sears. About the only difference was the price! . The 1/2" rails are also from Snap-On, but they came with the socket sets.

I don't have rails for my 1/4" sockets. They just sort of hang-out in a separate drawer in the top section of my tool box. For as often as I use them any more, that is perfectly fine with me.
--
Shine on you crazy diamond...

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
kudos:9
Reviews:
·G4 Communications
·Fairpoint Commun..
·Hollis Hosting
reply to Thane_Bitter

said by Thane_Bitter:

Have you considered socket rails?

I've used 3/8 and 1/2 in socket rails for years without problem. Not sure where I got them from - Sears probably.

/tom

HarryH3
Premium
join:2005-02-21
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
reply to Caddyroger

I too prefer rails. Mine are from Sears, all steel, are at least 20 years old and if anything, they hold the sockets too tightly! I tried the ones with a handle added on one end, but the handles waste space and don't fit in my travel toolbox.

I've also tried the organizer type that bryank linked to. I prefer being able to take an entire rack to where I'm working, so I don't have to keep walking back to the tool box to find the right size. The organizer also wastes a lot of space. It's great if you don't have too many sockets, but I've got WAY too many to use those thanks to an awesome sale at Sears many years ago. I would need lots of drawers to fit them all into organizer trays.

I guess it depends on what you do with your tools. I fix all my own stuff, from blown fuses to engine swaps. Having a large assortment of tools can make many jobs much easier, depending on what you're working on, as you can select the one that works best. If you're more of a tinkerer than a hardcore DIY auto enthusiast then the organizer tray may suit you just fine.

shdesigns