Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

carnagerover

join:2006-04-15
UK

[Wireless] EA4500 replaced Asus N66U

Hi all,

Just received this router today, I have a Asus N66U Dark Knight but have been having trouble with the wifi flaking out on both 2.4ghz and 5ghz. A I bought this as I had heard some good things. First impressions are good with the cloud stuff however more options would be nice. I am aware that you can downgrade now.

Basically the only problem that I have run into so far is buffering issues to places like youtube. This is never usually a problem for me as I have a good internet connection. When I received the router I used the built in speedtest and it came back at 74Mbps down and 18Mbps up. Any ideas why youtube performance had degraded. In my bedroom I would normally have 3 bars on the N66U compared to 2-3 on the EA4500 but the buffering was also occurring when I was in Thame room so doubt it was a range issue.

Anyone have any experience with this sort of thing?

Mike Wolf

join:2009-05-24
Beachwood, NJ
kudos:4
I'm not sure if the EA6500 can be downgraded to the classic interface.
Try setting the channel width to auto 20-40Mhz or 20Mhz and see if there's any difference? Also check the connection speed in the wireless status screen between the computer and the laptop, even if you have 5 bars. Try changing the wireless channels or set it to auto. Try changing the network mode to N only or mixed. Try connecting a computer with an Ethernet connection and see if there's any speed differences or buffering.

Kyawa
Premium
join:2006-01-26
Middletown, MD
reply to carnagerover
Try changing to "B" (ie no "N")

carnagerover

UK
reply to carnagerover
Seems both the N66U and the EA4500 have there quirks, just got to decide which to keep now. On paper I think the N66u has a lot more grunt if you look at performances charts but that doesn't always mean stability.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
I think its an issue with YouTube since the redesign because I'm seeing the same slowdown on my 50Mbps connection on both my ea4500 e1200 both wired and wireless as well as straight connection from a computer to my cable modem.

carnagerover

UK
I can confirm that at least for me this issue only occurs with the EA4500, as soon as I switched back the N66u my buffering issues go away.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
hmm. odd. Not having that problem on mine What firmware version are you using?

Guru

join:2008-10-01
kudos:2
reply to carnagerover
Do you have QoS enabled? If so, try resetting it or disable altogether!

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
I've personally found if you turn off QoS the laptop won't connect to the router anymore, pops up with an "unknown connection error"

Guru

That's very odd. Reset the router and reconfigure! I never had that issue before!

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
I have, and on different E4200v1 and v2's and on different EA4500's both reconfigured and out of the box. The QoS setting I'm referring to is WMM Support

Guru

Oh yes, that, you have to keep that enabled! Not sure I understand that only feature in there!

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
How about this menu »192.168.1.1/Wireless_Advanced.asp