uniqs
majortom1029
join:2006-10-19
Medford, NY

majortom1029 to n2jtx

to n2jtx

Re: OOL going up $5 on 1/1/13

said by n2jtx:

When I first signed up in August 2001, it was $39.95/month. About six months into my one year contract (remember those?) it went to $49.95 but I was still in contract. Sadly I think this hike is going into effect because FiOS is no longer real competition and this is probably the start of a yearly hikes.

I bet its more due to sandy. From What I have been told cablevisions network took a beating. A lot of wires have to be changed out . Wires that did not get disconnected got stretched and had to be replaced anyway.

Cablevision doesn't have the luxury of getting money from the government to offset things like this.

MxxCon
join:1999-11-19
Brooklyn, NY
ARRIS TM822
Actiontec MI424WR Rev. I

MxxCon

said by majortom1029:

I bet its more due to sandy. From What I have been told cablevisions network took a beating. A lot of wires have to be changed out . Wires that did not get disconnected got stretched and had to be replaced anyway.

Cablevision doesn't have the luxury of getting money from the government to offset things like this.

Why do you say that? Why wouldn't they get huge tax write-offs and disaster relief funds?
Bob4
Account deleted
join:2012-07-22
New Jersey

Bob4

said by MxxCon:

said by majortom1029:

Why do you say that? Why wouldn't they get huge tax write-offs and disaster relief funds?

And I'm sure CV's physical plant is insured. It better be.

NJ Transit intentionally parked a billion dollars worth of trains in a flood zone and they don't care because insurance is paying for it.

kdshapiro
join:2000-03-29
Eatontown, NJ
ARRIS TM1602
Netgear R8000

kdshapiro

said by Bob4:

said by MxxCon:

said by majortom1029:

And I'm sure CV's physical plant is insured. It better be.

NJ Transit intentionally parked a billion dollars worth of trains in a flood zone and they don't care because insurance is paying for it.

That's called theft, and people will go to jail, if it was a deliberate move. However, a remark like that seems outrageous even by NJ standards.
majortom1029
join:2006-10-19
Medford, NY

majortom1029 to MxxCon

to MxxCon
said by MxxCon:

said by majortom1029:

I haven't seen anything in the news about cablevision getting disaster relief funds. Also tax write offs only get you so far. They also would most likely get the same problems with the insurance companies that homeowners have.

RickNY
Premium Member
join:2000-11-02
Bellport, NY

RickNY to MxxCon

Premium Member

to MxxCon
said by MxxCon:

Why do you say that? Why wouldn't they get huge tax write-offs

I always get a kick out of when people say a company will get a tax write-off, whether it be from bad debts or losses incurred.

If you incur a $1000 loss, and you are able to write 100% of it off, the only thing that gets you is a reduction in your taxable income by $1000. With a corporate tax rate of 35%, the write-off gets you $350 off of your tax bill. That's it. You still have a $1000 item that needs to be replaced. Only now you will have to spend another $650 to do so instead of $1000.

Plus, your write-off is net of insurance proceeds from the loss... If it is insured for the full cost of replacing it, you don't get to write it off.. But your insurance is likely to cost you more in the future, and if you are Cablevision, guess who pays for that??