rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to dmk08809

Re: [Rant] [LONG]Another Tale of Multiple Truck Rolls

Its the power company, They dont have to care and they dont. No comcast has no pull with them. You actually have more pull than them. Call your state puc amd complain and something may get done. Until you complain the electric company will not give a shit.

harald

join:2010-10-22
Columbus, OH
kudos:1

The other alternative is to file a complaint with the FCC. Immensely satisfying, but won't accomplish much in the short term. They will respond and the power company will get it fixed. Some day.

dmk08809

join:2001-09-08
Clinton, NJ
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
·Vonage
·Comcast
·Embarq Now Centu..
reply to rody_44

Well, a call to the power company was entirely fruitless. To be honest however, I really didn't know what to say other than "Our cable internet service isn't working right and Comcast says its a power interference issue somewhere in town, can you guys come out and fix it?". Other than being asked if my power is working (which is fine), they said I need to call Comcast to get cable issues resolved. Duh...

I have no idea what/where or IF there's a power issue affecting Comcast's plant! Not so convinced its a subscriber's responsibility to chase something like this down anyways... Plus how the heck can someone articulate detailed technical specifics to anyone much less the FCC or BPU? So far there's not been a single response here on DSLR saying if such a power noise condition causing cable outages is even possible. And if so, a typical person has both the equipment and knowledge to pinpoint what or where the problem is??

Gotta say this is getting bizarre. Meanwhile service has been especially bad (intermittently up-and-down) for the past 2 days. All I know is that we're not the only folks impacted -- other than talking with neighbors, I get the distinct impression its fairly widespread on this end of town.

gar187er
I do this for a living

join:2006-06-24
Dover, DE
kudos:4
reply to dmk08809

line tech here...yes RFI from the power company can and will cause upstream interference. we can track it by using a good AM radio signal and drive out a pole span until the RFI washes out the station. from there we call the poco dispatch and ask for them to send a truck out for an RFI issue at pole #blahblahblah

there is no solid communication between the two companies, unless someone at comcast has a solid contact at the poco. My construction guy has a good working relationship with 1 of the 3 pocos in my area. So when i have an issue with either a cracked insulator, a bad street light, whatever, I have him email the guy he knows and he will let my guy know what the truck finds out there.

but most times its just "hey we have a problem", "ok we will check it out" and thats that.

so you can drive out your area with your AM radio and track it yourself, the wash out will be very apparent so long as you have a good station to start.
--
I'm better than you!

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

2 edits
reply to dmk08809

I didnt suggest or expect the poco to respond to you. I said they will respond to your PUC. They are the ones that will get results. My son works for the poco. He is always the one that says its the power company. They dont have to care and they dont. Well thats until the puc comes calling. To the poco comcast is just some company cluttering up the poles. Kind of like the fat lady in the middle of the isle at the grocery store that is always in your way and just a general nuisance.

nrobot80

join:2012-12-05
Union City, GA
reply to dmk08809

It doesn't matter how much "pull" Comcast has. If it's an issue with the power company then good luck getting them to come out around the holidays unless there is a massive power outage. I'm sure if Comcast has narrowed down the problem then emails and phone calls up the chain of command are being made to the power company regarding the matter. The only thing I could suggest is to call your local franchise authority and/or the FCC, maybe the FEDS can put a little fire under their butts

dmk08809

Clinton, NJ
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
·Vonage
·Comcast
·Embarq Now Centu..
reply to gar187er

Thanks for the info gar187er! Your post was very helpful and at a minimum validates powerco equipment can cause upstream problems. You mentioned AM radio and I tried your suggestion but didn't come up with anything that "washed out" a station within a relatively short 10 minute ride around this end of town. That ofc means nothing -- could be I wasn't near enough the offending street's RFI source.

@rody: In NJ the BPU will generally not even accept a complaint unless you've made a reasonable [read: heroic] effort with the utility first. I learned this from personal experience about 20+ years ago. All my efforts thus far have focused on Comcast not the powerco.

@nrobot80: This issue has been around long before the holidays but only recently (past ~4 weeks) has powerco interference become a prime suspect. I've already called my local franchise authority and am meandering through that process. FCC? Haven't tried yet, but I was advised unless its a matter of life-safety communications the FCC wouldn't address something this localized for months if at all.

As it stands right now Comcast is escalating within their own structure and powerco channels. With the holidays I'm sure everyone is operating on skeleton crews and dispatches limited to only serious outages. Fortunately we [re]installed DSL here a couple weeks ago so when CC internet gets really bad there's backup connectivity albeit m-u-c-h slower. At least that kind of reduces some urgency for the time being...

dmk08809

Clinton, NJ
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
·Vonage
·Comcast
·Embarq Now Centu..
reply to dmk08809

I sit here typing this latest update in utter disbelief and amazement. Just got off the phone with the person from "We Can Help" Comcast Executive Support I've been in contact over the past ~2 months and was told that even though the problem continues, Comcast believes they've done everything they could and are no longer actively working the trouble.

Was told, and I quote "I need to pursue the power company since its their issue", and that Comcast will not extend any billing credit for the ongoing troubles. This is despite a node-wide impact on many folks on this end of town, with some folks complaining perhaps even louder than I have. She recited FCC rules that stated credits only have to be offered for continuous 6-hour long service outages that are their fault, and this isn't their fault. The conversation became rather tense though I kept cool and remained firm yet always polite. She was more than willing to terminate my service however! (I almost did, but need to move some equipment around first plus still want to call the BPU and share this outrageous experience. Comcast has officially attained 'project' status, lol)

All I can say is... WOW! Such indifference and refusal to take any ownership or even offer credits is beyond absurd... These guys handily have earned the distinctive honor of probably being the absolute worst company I've ever dealt with in my many decades of being a consumer. They say its my responsibility to work with the power company on a node-wide known ingress problem. Uh huh... r-i-g-h-t...

Apparently its too much to ask for a stable, working connection for anyone on the west side of Clinton NJ at least when it comes to Comcast. Perhaps a good business strategy for these folks is to stick to delivering one-way TV and leave internet (& phone) to someone that's actually committed to it and has a sensible service ethic.

The only way to summarize my experience with Comcast at this point in two lines is to quote Eric Cartman of South Park fame: "I hate you guys so very, very, very, very much!" and "Screw you guys, I'm going home!"

plat2on1

join:2002-08-21
Hopewell Junction, NY

sounds like a good story for the front page of dslreports

owlyn
Premium,MVM
join:2004-06-05
Newtown, PA
reply to dmk08809

If you want a contact who may be able to help, or point you to another person, PM me.

dmk08809

Clinton, NJ
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
·Vonage
·Comcast
·Embarq Now Centu..

1 recommendation

I've been meaning to post a followup on this "journey" with Comcast and its ultimate resolution. Before doing so I waited ~4 weeks after it seemed stable to ensure its wasn't another work-for-a-week and crap-out-again situation.

Am happy to report that after MONTHS of persistence our area's trouble appears to have been resolved once and for all. Despite some horrific customer service, rudeness of certain Comcast employees (a minority of them fortunately), and lack of ANY followup, we've had a solid and stable connection for the past 4 weeks.

The trouble, BTW, wasn't just merely due to power company equipment interference like Comcast insisted it was. Sure, its possible it may have been a factor, but it was absolutely not the sole reason. Turns out Comcast ended up stringing ~1/4+ mile of replacement coax mainline cable to this end of town serving my neighborhood as at least part of the fix.

It took nothing short of heroic efforts on the part of my town's mayor to get both JCPL and Comcast to even talk to each another and finally do whatever needed to be done. I realize and hated to bother any town official with such a matter, but as the local franchising authority lead she pulled whatever strings needed to be pulled. I know for a FACT that I wasn't the only one impacted and am also aware that others folks around here complained as well. Not entirely sure but the NJ BPU might have also weighed in somewhere in the process. Maybe because Comcast voice services (including 911) were also chronically impaired ?

Anyway, no more ranging errors, T3/T4 timeouts, or lousy performance. Signal levels look great. Am pretty consistently getting the 50M/10M Blast service we're paying for. Speaking of which, the Comcast WeCanHelp exec support person who barked at me to contact the power company for a cable service refund was obviously off her rocker. My mayor was appalled when she heard that and offered assistance in getting credits issued if needed. A final call to Comcast billing wasn't quite so tense or combative and they did in fact post an appropriate credit for the outages.

Lessons learned: As frustrating as it can be stay the course and don't give up. Be tenacious. Don't believe any excuses that shovel blame onto someone else. Engage whoever needs to be engaged across all levels of Comcast, your franchising authority, and even the BPU if needed. Thanks for the offer Owlyn but it seems resolved now. Too bad it took over 4 (!) months to get fixed and only after tremendous effort on the customer's part. At least I'm sure my neighbors are secretly thankful (haha, yeah right).