Be the flame, not the moth.
Premium,MVM
join:2003-07-15
Gallifrey
reply to Gem

Re: [FireFox] Google stopped returning results this morning

said by Gem:
said by Sweet Witch:
So, they're trying to over-ride MY privacy settings on MY computer??
Not quite that. What it appears that they may be doing is designing their search engine so that it won't function properly unless certain features that we sometimes disable are allowed. If that is so, we can still search with Google. We just have to drop our shields to do so.
They're still trying to force me to alter my security setting in order to use their search engine. That doesn't fly with me at all.
--
"While you can teach an old dog new tricks, you simply can't teach him to be a cat."

"Are you my Mummy?"

Gem
Premium
join:2005-09-10
kudos:4

Exactly that.

chrisretusn
Retired
Premium
join:2007-08-13
Philippines
kudos:1
Reviews:
·PLDT
·Comcast
reply to Sweet Witch

said by Sweet Witch:

They're still trying to force me to alter my security setting in order to use their search engine. That doesn't fly with me at all.

Sure, you don't have to like it but it is Googles' service and it is there prerogative to require cookies to search. You do not have to use Google, no one is forcing that.

This issue has no effect on me as I allow Google to set cookies so I can save my SafeSearch, Google Instant predictions and Results per page settings.
--
Chris
Living in Paradise!!

jig

join:2001-01-05
Hacienda Heights, CA
reply to Sweet Witch

the problems i've been having with google lately seem to stem from user profile settings, which i haven't been able to set "properly" in light of the recent additions to the google search gui.

i've found that logging out of my google profile usually gets things to work properly - i.e., more like they did a month or so ago.

i'm beginning to wonder if the various devices i use to access my google profile (android, iOS, FF, Safari, IE) are causing some sort of incompatibility when google's mothership tries to sort it all out. you could try killing all those other accesses as well.
--
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

chrisretusn
Retired
Premium
join:2007-08-13
Philippines
kudos:1

While I have a Google account, I suspect most folks do not log in to Google to do searches, therefor your profile is not involved. I never log in just to do searches.
--
Chris
Living in Paradise!!

flitz

join:2002-08-06

I never log on either.
The problem persists intermittently.
Enabling/disabling cookies has no effect.

john

Gem
Premium
join:2005-09-10
kudos:4

Blocked cookies are only a problem on some users computers.

On the computers of other users having problems it could be the presence of ad-blocking software or other privacy protection software.