uniqs
share rss forum feed

threebicks

join:2012-12-06
Somerville, MA

Bring your own router Ethernet WAN & MoCA

Click for full size
my implementation
I have the following setup (diagram attached). Blue is a hypothetical implementation (see below).

This worked for some time, however MoCA recently stopped. I believe that the Actiontec MI424WR has failed. I want to use another ethernet bridge to accomplish my implementation. Will any of these 'verizon approved' bridges work for me?

»Verizon Online FiOS FAQ »What is a MOCA Bridge?

Also, is it possible to send all network traffic for the STB separately along my wired ethernet network and plug into my STBs network port and eliminate MoCA all together for on-demand, etc?

Thanks in advance.

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:30

said by threebicks:

Will any of these 'verizon approved' bridges work for me?

Any of the ones listed will work, however, none of the MOCA bridges listed in the FAQ are "VZ approved".
said by threebicks:

Also, is it possible to send all network traffic for the STB separately along my wired ethernet network and plug into my STBs network port and eliminate MoCA all together for on-demand, etc?

No.
»Verizon Online FiOS FAQ »Is the RJ45 (ethernet) jack on the STB active?
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

threebicks

join:2012-12-06
Somerville, MA

Which bridges are approved (if any)?

Also, I was given this configuration by my router manufacturer. Is there a better method to use my own router as the primary?

I figured a bridge is a purpose-built device and would be better for my purposes.

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
West Chester, PA

said by threebicks:

Which bridges are approved (if any)?

As I said before, any of them will work, but don't expect support from VZ for them. Any configuration other than the Actiontec as primary is unsupported by VZ.
said by threebicks:

Is there a better method to use my own router as the primary?

There are a number of different possible configurations, each with different advantages and disadvantages. Please review the following FAQ:
»Verizon Online FiOS FAQ »What are the tradeoffs between the various router configurations
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

JackBauer

join:2006-08-24
Schenectady, NY
reply to threebicks

I'm confused and perhaps you can educate me.

One of the STB's has a direct ethernet connection?

I didn't know STB's had RJ45's on them that were enabled for IP?

What for? And why only one of them?

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
West Chester, PA

said by JackBauer:

One of the STB's has a direct ethernet connection?

That was a question the OP asked in his first post if he could do. The answer was no.
quote:
said by threebicks:

is it possible to send all network traffic for the STB separately along my wired ethernet network and plug into my STBs network port

said by JackBauer:

I didn't know STB's had RJ45's on them that were enabled for IP?

The STBs have a single RJ45 jack, and it is NOT enabled.
Read the FAQ I linked earlier.
»Verizon Online FiOS FAQ »Is the RJ45 (ethernet) jack on the STB active?
--

buckweet1980

join:2011-12-31
Allen, TX

Honestly I'd try to save your money.. Just call VZ up and tell them it failed and they'll ship you a new one for free. I've had tech's give me a new one when out troubleshooting other issues.