Liberty

join:2005-06-12
Tucson, AZ
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

[OS X] iTunes folder

I am preparing to migrate some of my MBP hd to a MBA
Looking for items to not move move over to the much smaller drive

Looking in the Music folder, I see a sub folder that doesn't make sense to me why it is there

Inside of the Music folder I see:
Amazon MP3
GarageBand
iTunes
-Album Artwork
-iTunes Music
-Mobile Applications

Inside of the Mobile Apps folder I see all my iOS apps
A) Why are the iOS apps in the Music folder?
B) Do I need them on my MBA? there is almost 2 gigs in that folder

I intend to use the MBA only for work activities and hd space is limited
I plan on not migrating music and photos (combined 80+gigs)
So don't know if I really need to migrate the mobile apps folder over from the iTunes folder
Opinion?

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11

A) iTunes now encompasses much more than just "tunes". For consistency's sake, they've kept the "iTunes" folder in the Music folder.

B) You don't need it unless you want to have backups for any apps that are no longer on the App Store or older versions of specific apps. You can always redownload the latest version of any app you've previously purchased or downloaded from Apple.
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

kitsune

join:2001-11-26
Sacramento, CA
reply to Liberty

If you plan on syncing your iPhone/iPod/iPad to the MBA then at the very least the apps on that device(s) will get downloaded to the computer. If you don't plan on syncing any of those with the MBA then you don't need it.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Liberty

If you pony up for iTunes Match you don't need to copy over any of it and you can stream whatever you want. Or if you are on the same network you can use Home Sharing in iTunes to access another Mac's library to play content while you are working.

So really you don't need from iTunes if you want to save the space.

I'm in the same boat as you, 13K songs plus tons of movies and videos; a MBA with 120GB...no room for this stuff. So I use iTunes Match and Home Sharing to listen or view any of my content on my MBA.