join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to CmmTch

MVM

to CmmTch

Re: AT&T Switching me to UVerse without my permission!

said by CmmTch:

I'm on Uverse HSI (internet only, phone is copper from CO, TV is Direct) and it's great, I was on CO based older DSL and was starting to lose sync every once in a while. The phone still worked fine, so I suspect it was something in the copper from the CO that was causing periodic sync losses. Getting my DSL from the VRAD ...

So, you have two pair? Phone to the CO on one pair, and DSL to the VRAD on another pair?
CmmTch
join:2002-08-10
High Ridge, MO

CmmTch

No, I have one pair to my house. The telephone ckt goes CO to SLC5 PG at the R/T, then jumper from the PG to "in" side of card in VRAD, then cable pair to my house connected to "out" side. This uses the same cable pair from the VRAD to my house for both phone and internet. Very similar to how it's wired in the CO for lineshare service, D/T is wired to OE side of the IPDSLAM on the frame, then it's wired from cable pair side of the IPDSLAM to the cable pair leaving the CO.

The VRAD cabinet was put in at the same location where the PG R/T is. It's almost a lineshare ckt except the internet is on fiber from the CO to the VRAD and I believe the PG is fed by copper T1's.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

1 edit

NormanS

MVM

Okay; so VRAD/RT connection. I am just trying to relate that to what I have seen directly. I think my ISP would call your premises RT connected; they offer ADSL2+ service to CO connections, but not to RT connections. They are a CLEC servicing premises in AT&T's California.

My old neighborhood is not served by a traditional RT, just a VRAD. My former premises is a direct connection from the adjacent SAI to the CO.

BTW, I was told in another thread, which now I must hunt down to ensure I even read it right, that VRAD boxes can house ADSL2+ equipment. Can you comment? I ask because I am being challenged on an assertion I made based on what may be faulty recollection on my part.
CmmTch
High Ridge, MO

CmmTch

There was a time when there was only an SAI at that spot, then the PG was installed probably 13 years ago as the area began growing. Then the VRAD installed a couple years ago for Uverse.

Just the name "VRAD" indicates it can provide VDSL, I'm not an outside tech but I would think an IPDSLAM could be installed in that cabinet to provide ADSL2+. I don't know if any actually are though. If Uverse TV is available to a customer then their internet will probably be VDSL.

I'm always leery of saying anything definitive because there will be somebody in a different area that will have what I said they couldn't have

ILpt4U
Premium Member
join:2006-11-12
Saint Louis, MO
ARRIS TM822
Asus RT-N66

ILpt4U

Premium Member

said by CmmTch:

I would think an IPDSLAM could be installed in that cabinet to provide ADSL2+. I don't know if any actually are though.

There most certainly are IPDSLAMs installed in cabinets in the field, some in existing RTs/CEVs, and some in new cabinets, the same cabinets that the VDSL2 VRADs use.

The term "VRAD" usually means either VDSL(2) Ready Access Device or Video Ready Access Device. Video could, in theory, be provided over IPDSLAM (two bonded 18 Mbps circuits would be enough bandwidth for the 32 Mbps profile; two bonded 12 Mbps circuits would almost be enough for the 25 Mbps profile) -- but AFAIK only rumors of rumors of trials ever existed, and no idea if any plans exist to utilize IPDSLAM for Video
CmmTch
High Ridge, MO

CmmTch

Said by CmmTch See Profile I'm always leery of saying anything definitive because there will be somebody in a different area that will have what I said they couldn't have

That's exactly what I was talking about, I do know the newer IPDSLAMS are designed to be installed inside or out, but since I don't work outside I don't know if any were installed outside in my area.

ILpt4U
Premium Member
join:2006-11-12
Saint Louis, MO
ARRIS TM822
Asus RT-N66

ILpt4U

Premium Member

said by CmmTch:

Said by CmmTch See Profile I'm always leery of saying anything definitive because there will be somebody in a different area that will have what I said they couldn't have

That's exactly what I was talking about, I do know the newer IPDSLAMS are designed to be installed inside or out, but since I don't work outside I don't know if any were installed outside in my area.

It is a big company - all sorts of things everywhere... I know exactly the feeling