Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!
dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

wth
Premium
join:2002-02-20
Iowa City,IA
Reviews:
·Mediacom

[Cable TV] Mediacom, Iowa State Athletics announce partnership

I would think that the Iowa State Cyclones would want this to be in HD on a HD channel. I know Iowa does all their events in Carver Hawkeye in HD on their website.

Probably about time MC22 is upgraded to HD.

»thegazette.com/2012/12/0 ··· nership/

garn91

join:2005-01-15
Ankeny, IA

Re: [Cable TV] Mediacom, Iowa State Athletics announce partnersh

ISU sports will be moving to a stand alone channel early next year so i'm guessing then it will be HD.

jpatton

join:2010-04-07
Stillwater, OK
The standalone channel won't be in HD immediately (per AD Jamie Pollard), but there are plans to make it HD soon after launch.

In the meantime, streaming through Cyclones.tv website is HD, but that's a paid subscription.

danawhitaker
Space...The Final Frontier
Premium
join:2002-03-02
Urbandale, IA
said by jpatton:

The standalone channel won't be in HD immediately (per AD Jamie Pollard), but there are plans to make it HD soon after launch.

In the meantime, streaming through Cyclones.tv website is HD, but that's a paid subscription.

Too bad it didn't stay a paid subscription on that website. Now the rest of us non-sports watchers get to subsidize yet another sports channel we won't be watching - unless this somehow is going to magically not cost Mediacom anything. There are lots of channels I wish were on the digital family tier that aren't, and now I get another one I couldn't care less about.
--
You're watching Sports Night on CSC so stick around...

jpatton

join:2010-04-07
Stillwater, OK
I don't have any special insider information (I just follow the AD on Twitter and such), but my feeling from what's been said is that this is a sort of mutual thing between Mediacom and ISU. One big point was that ISU already had a lot of infrastructure (cameras, etc.) built in for Cyclones.tv, so there's not a lot of investment for Mediacom. I think the idea is for both ISU and Mediacom to bank by selling the channel and/or individual broadcasts to other distributors (e.g. ESPN's college basketball/football packages). I doubt selling the channel as a whole though is really going to fly, though, a la the Longhorn Network, but maybe some of the other cable cos in Iowa will pick it up if it's not a great cost.

CYCLNZ

join:2002-04-28
Cedar Rapids, IA
reply to wth
As a Cyclone fan and a subscriber to CyclonesTV, this announcement is great news. I wonder if it will be on the local cable package or on family cable. If not I will continue to watch on CyclonesTV.

I dropped from family cable down to local plus when Mediacom caved in to the Big 10 Network. As a Cyclone fan and donor, I refuse to subsidize the Big 10 network. I hope some day the BTN contract is up for renegotiation and it will move off the basic system, so I can return as a customer.