uniqs
share rss forum feed

Wayne99021
Premium
join:2004-12-28
Mead, WA
kudos:1

Motorola SB 6141

Am a little confused about Comcast not listing this modem as IPV6 compatible.
According to the Motorola site it is, Which is right?

•Compatible with Windows®, Macintosh®, and UNIX® computers
•DOCSIS 3.0 Compatible, featuring:•Channel bonding of up to eight downstream channels and four upstream channels increasing data rates of over 300 Mbps for received data and over 100 Mbps when sending data
•Supports IPv4 and IPv6 to expand network addressing capabilities
•Enhanced securityola site it is?

telcodad

join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:6

The "IPv6" Capable column in the Comcast approved devices list (»mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/) just indicates that Comcast has certified that it is IPv6 ready themselves and is compatible with their IPv6-enabled CMTSs.

All DOCSIS 3.0 devices must provide support for IPv6 as part of that specification.

It's likely that Comcast just hasn't got around to certifying the SB6141 model for IPv6 operation yet.

As the SB6120 and SB6121 models are shown as IPv6 capable in Comcast's list, I'm sure the SB6141 will someday too.

Wayne99021
Premium
Mead, WA

Thanks telcodad.
That's what I was thinking, just wasn't sure.
It will be awhile before the CMTSs around here are IPV6-enabled anyway.

NetDog
Premium,VIP
join:2002-03-04
Parker, CO
kudos:77
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to telcodad

said by telcodad:

The "IPv6" Capable column in the Comcast approved devices list (»mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/) just indicates that Comcast has certified that it is IPv6 ready themselves and is compatible with their IPv6-enabled CMTSs.

This is correct it is all the devices that have been certified and are CPE v6 enabled.

Tobin

join:2003-09-21
Burlingame, CA
reply to Wayne99021

I recently tried to provision an SB6141 and ran into some hiccups.

Everything would proceed during 'registration' normally, but then it would try to download either the latest firmware or a config/bootfile and hang there. Eventually the download request would time out and it would complete the syncing process and show up as "all green" on Comcast's side.

4-Error E106.0 SW upgrade Failed before download - TFTP Max Retry Exceeded
4-Error E104.0 SW Upgrade Failed Before Download - Server not Present

I don't know if it ever downloaded the correct bootfile for my Comcast service, but I do know that for the better part of yesterday the modem was stuck on the Aug 18 1.0.6.3 firmware build.

I did have connectivity, but everything was very slow and it seemed like packets would be sent initially at a slow rate and then the connection would time out completely for any new TCP stream.

I contacted Comcast a few different ways and nobody could figure out what was wrong. Eventually I rebooted one more time this afternoon and it finally downloaded the latest 1.0.6.8 firmware. Unfortunately the connection problems persisted and I reverted back to my previous modem.

I can only guess the SB6141 I bought was defective somehow...unless there's another explanation and someone can enlighten me. It's just weird because the modem seems to initialize fine, and the signal levels look identical to what my other modem saw.

Wayne99021
Premium
Mead, WA

You may have gotten a defective 6141.
Counting my own, I have put in 6 SB6141 and one of them did the same thing you are describing.
Amazon replaced it with a new 6141.
Called Comcast, they provisioned it and it came right up and is working great.
I have had trouble before with the walled garden so always have the Comcast techs provision them.