All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude
join:2003-08-04

19579823 (banned)

[Poll] Which was/is the BEST era for gaming?

Poll

1980s - the 8 bit home computer/consoles

1990s - the 16 bit/console era

Late 90s - Today PC era

The Future - Wii PS3 etc

(edited out)

(edited out)

Votes:41

In my opinion 8-bit all the way,Not even a slightest doubt about it!!

danawhitaker
Space...The Final Frontier
Premium Member
join:2002-03-02
Thorndale, ON

1 recommendation

danawhitaker

Premium Member

I can't pick. There's stuff I've loved from all of them. In a way, I'd say today is, because we have not just what exists now, but the ability to play all the older stuff as well.
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude

19579823 (banned)

Hmmmm thats an interesting view......

danawhitaker
Space...The Final Frontier
Premium Member
join:2002-03-02
Thorndale, ON

danawhitaker

Premium Member

Yeah. I suppose it is. I'm 31 now. I started with NES, and have played at least one console and/or handheld every generation since then, usually multiple. I've also collected some older stuff from the Atari and Colecovision eras.

I'm excited to be passing on the love of gaming to my daughter. I ended up caving and getting a Wii U for Christmas. One thing I've noticed is that even though I still have all my older stuff, it's almost impossible to convince her to be interested in it (she's 7). I think that's why I suspect part of our affinity for the older console eras is because of the nostalgia associated with it rather than those eras being better. I notice even within myself less interest in the stuff that came before the NES. I mean, I'm still interested in it from a "wow that's interesting" perspective but it's not the same kind of excitement I feel when I get my hands on some NES titles or start thinking about some of the games I used to play back then. While I'm hoping to sort of pass along that love for classic games to her, I question how much success I'll have - I sort of liken it to my parents trying to convince me to watch TV shows or movies that were bofore "my time".

Metatron2008
You're it
Premium Member
join:2008-09-02
united state

Metatron2008

Premium Member

everybody pick edited out

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI

Nightfall to 19579823

MVM

to 19579823

Re: [Poll] Which was/is the BEST era for gaming?

I started gaming back on my old Atari 2600 when I was 5 years old in 1977. I have been through many different gaming platforms in my time. Now, I am almost entirely gaming on the PC, but I still enjoy playing games on my smartphone, DS, and PS3 on occasion.

The best era for gaming would be all of the above. I remember how exciting it was playing on the Atari when I was 5. Today, when I fire up WoW or Deus Ex Human Revolution, I am very excited to play. The games today bring as much enjoyment as they did when I was young. I don't think I could ever go back and play "Outlaw" or "Combat" on the Atari 2600 after playing "Red Dead Redemption" today.

captokita
Premium Member
join:2005-02-22
Calabash, NC

captokita to Metatron2008

Premium Member

to Metatron2008

Re:  

said by Metatron2008:

Which one?

Goggalor
Psychonaut
Premium Member
join:2009-06-09
Your Mind!

Goggalor

Premium Member

To be true to the poll, my favorite gaming era would be 16-bit with the SNES. Some of the most memorable RPGs came from that era.

captokita
Premium Member
Calabash, NC

captokita

Premium Member

said by Goggalor:

To be true to the poll, my favorite gaming era would be 16-bit with the SNES. Some of the most memorable RPGs came from that era.

True. I never owned an SNES myself, but my nephew-in-law did, and I played Turtles in Time with him all the time.

I had a Genesis, and games like Sword of Vermillion were memorable to me. Sega CD brought me Lunar TSS/EB, which are still my favorite RPGs of all time. The remakes were awesome, and made me love the originals all that much more.

Kulldar
Premium Member
join:2008-11-11
Warren, MI

Kulldar to Goggalor

Premium Member

to Goggalor
I agree. My first experience gaming was at a very young age, playing Intellivision and Atari. Every generation brought something new to gaming, but nothing compares to playing Final Fantasy II, or III, or ChronoTrigger, or Secret of mana for the first time. The memorable RPG's from this era definitely make it my favorite.

TheBionic
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium Member
join:2009-07-06
united state

TheBionic

Premium Member

I'd have to go with today (the future? derp). We started with a Pong machine then a 2600 bought at a yard sale. I never really cared for them all that much. But then came the NES and I have so many great memories of that console. Castlevania, Mega Man, Mario, Duck Hunt, Ninja Gaiden, the original TMNT... I was hooked for life. It only got better with the SNES JRPGs, and the first two Playstations and the original XBox continued my love affair with the genre and games in general right up into adulthood. Today I mostly play on PC, and the variety and number of quality games is better than ever and if you're studious you can still find most of the games I grew up with. So yeah I'll have to say today.

captokita
Premium Member
Calabash, NC

captokita to 19579823

Premium Member

to 19579823

Here's an article you might enjoy Dude!

10 Reasons Why Video Games Were Better in the '80s

»www.ign.com/articles/201 ··· -the-80s
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude

19579823 (banned)

Xcellent article my friend :):)

The early-mid 80s was THE BEST for many things!! (Then it started going downhill around 1987 or so)

Silvanos
It's a new Silvanos experience
Premium Member
join:2002-10-07
Tonawanda, NY

Silvanos

Premium Member

So according to that lame article, the internet has ruined video games...

Goggalor
Psychonaut
Premium Member
join:2009-06-09
Your Mind!

Goggalor

Premium Member

said by Silvanos:

So according to that lame article, the internet has ruined video games...

In many ways, it has:

•Before the internet was everywhere, you actually had to think during some games to figure out what you needed to do, instead of just doing a cursory search on the web.
•Before the internet was everywhere, multiplayer was additional content, not a necessary requirement. Too many games nowadays are tacking on multiplayer to try and extend the longevity of their products, whilst adversely harming the single player that drives the product.
•Before the internet was everywhere, games were finished products, not betas that get patched for months afterwards.

And those are just a few ways the internet has harmed (it has also helped) gaming.

Kulldar
Premium Member
join:2008-11-11
Warren, MI

Kulldar

Premium Member

The internet definitely hurt the sales of strategy guides. To this day, I still take pride in beating all the old Genesis and SNES RPG's without using strategy guides. Phantasy Star II is a difficult one that comes to mind.
07108968 (banned)
join:2012-12-11
North Coast

07108968 (banned) to Metatron2008

to Metatron2008
said by Metatron2008:

I think edited out is by FAR the best era for gaming.
DaMonster
join:2011-05-19
Tucson, AZ

DaMonster to 19579823

to 19579823

I miss all the RPGs on the PSOne, there was such a huge library for that system.
jack322
join:2012-09-19

jack322 to 19579823

to 19579823
I love the 16 Bit console era but I think that the best era for gaming is now (Wii,PS3, ect). Gaming technology has been improved much since 90s.