uniqs

Clutch_Head
join:2002-01-04
up state NJ

Clutch_Head

google play reviews now require google+

WTF?

NOT jumping in
just tried to write a review with my google play account, and its asking me to sign up for google+.
between me not owning my android software (root) and now they want me to jump into google+
no, just no.

/rant

carpetshark3
Premium Member
join:2004-02-12
Idledale, CO

carpetshark3

Premium Member

So now, no reviews will be posted. I won't join +. Will email dev privately if app is really good.

Koil
Premium Member
join:2002-09-10
Irmo, SC

1 recommendation

Koil to Clutch_Head

Premium Member

to Clutch_Head
It gives credibility and accountability.

Just like many sites are requiring you to login with Facebook to leave comments on their site. Once your anonymity goes away, most ppl stop acting like massive pricks real quick.

I agree, there won't be as many, but I imagine we'll probably see more actual content in fewer posts.

Of course, you also have the choice..don't like the rules. Don't post. Emailing the Dev direct is a good idea.
tcope
Premium Member
join:2003-05-07
Sandy, UT

tcope to Clutch_Head

Premium Member

to Clutch_Head
I completely understand where you are coming from.

It's done so that people's "real" information is used when the rate an app and was done in an effort to (hopefully) slow down spammers and competitors down rating others apps. That is, an attempt to make the reviews more credible.

You can sign up for G+ and do nothing with the account. The _big_ problem I see is that now G+ taints several other of the Google products people use. For example... good luck using Picasaweb and not having it switch you over to G+ instead. Google will make it difficult to post just to Picasa without "sharing" over on G+, etc.

They attempted to fix 1 thing and broke about 10 other things.

carpetshark3
Premium Member
Idledale, CO

carpetshark3

Premium Member

I quit using Google for most stuff. I use play, but to post photos, I use Flickr. I do use Yahoo mail for junk but deleted all contacts. I deleted Blogger posts. I cannot delete the Picasa and Blogger accounts unless I delete my Gmail account. I usually share photos through ImageShrink as MMS, or Dropbox. I no longer use the Gmail app on the phone - I get Gmail via IMAP.

Got a text from Google Voice about forwarding. They can no longer forward unless I verify phone number. I didn't answer it. I tried GV and didn't care for it, so I'm waiting to see if Google will delete the number. (Phone is rooted and GV is frozen via Titanium)

Like all the others - Google is trying to lock you into all their services. I don't want all my eggs in one basket. I don't know how many forums I belong to, but each one has a different name and password, and I like it that way. I also prefer moderated forums that tend to keep you on topic.

If I should decide on a cloud service, I won't use Google. I'd rather pay for one. I've had a few "remarks" even with Iron browser - "You have no extensions - BOO" At one point, I couldn't get to the logout on Play using the PC. Big blurb pestering about joining + hiding the menu.

But then, I'm not a spammer or a troll.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium Member
join:2000-08-05
united state

Snakeoil to tcope

Premium Member

to tcope
said by tcope:

I completely understand where you are coming from.

It's done so that people's "real" information is used when the rate an app and was done in an effort to (hopefully) slow down spammers and competitors down rating others apps. That is, an attempt to make the reviews more credible.

You can sign up for G+ and do nothing with the account. The _big_ problem I see is that now G+ taints several other of the Google products people use. For example... good luck using Picasaweb and not having it switch you over to G+ instead. Google will make it difficult to post just to Picasa without "sharing" over on G+, etc.

They attempted to fix 1 thing and broke about 10 other things.

I consider what Google is doing, similar to Facebook. Many sites link to FB, and want you to like them, so they can spam your FB page.
tcope
Premium Member
join:2003-05-07
Sandy, UT

tcope

Premium Member

Kind of the same... but I'd also like to point out Google (G+) work in completly different ways toward revenue. G+ can stand on itself as the information used from G+ (and other Google services) are all angled toward ranking and ads on websites. Facebook relies on "friends" spamming "friends". To some this might be a subtle difference but I think it's actually pretty big when it comes to ones use of the actual service. Nothing annoys me more then a "friend's" post stating that they "like" some service. No they don't... they just wanted a kickback from that company at my expense! Websites are going to have ads if they are free. Do I really care if those ads are based on things that I like or might buy? If anything at least they are for something I'm probably interested in.

pcdebb
birdbrain
Premium Member
join:2000-12-03
Brandon, FL
ARRIS DG1670

pcdebb to Snakeoil

Premium Member

to Snakeoil
said by Snakeoil:

I consider what Google is doing, similar to Facebook. Many sites link to FB, and want you to like them, so they can spam your FB page.

I've never had a company spam my page, ever.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium Member
join:2000-08-05
united state

Snakeoil

Premium Member

Back when I did farmville, they had events with companies. If you liked the companies page, you'd then get that special item unlocked in farmville.
Forget to unlike the company, and you tend to get their spam messages.

Ever since I've unliked farmville and other games, I still get their spam on my page. I tend to ignore it as I don't go to facebook as much as I used to.
Again, it's spam I, as the user agreed to.

Lone Wolf
Retired
Premium Member
join:2001-12-30
USA

Lone Wolf to Clutch_Head

Premium Member

to Clutch_Head
All your base are belong to Google!

This will stop fake reviews (and nasty pricks as said above ). My google+ account doesn't show my name, but it shows the name on one of my google accounts. If I submit a review it will show Lone Wolf. No problem with that.

I use Facebook for my business and don't worry about my info. I'm actually trying to get my info out there for people to see.

dib22
join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

dib22 to Snakeoil

to Snakeoil
said by Snakeoil:

Again, it's spam I, as the user agreed to.

If you agreed to it, it's not spam.

carpetshark3
Premium Member
Idledale, CO

carpetshark3

Premium Member

There's those of us who signed up for Gmail years ago. This wasn't in the original TOS. Under duress to keep an account, it's spam. Google had to discontinue Buzz.
loudstone
join:2012-12-09
Kennewick, WA

loudstone to Clutch_Head

to Clutch_Head
Worst part is you can't edit (or even view) the reviews you've already done. So if a 1 star app suddenly gets an update and is a 5 star app, your old one star review sticks around.
I'm not signing up for Google+. And if they push this any farther it may be time for me to consider a different platform.

Clutch_Head
join:2002-01-04
up state NJ

Clutch_Head

@loudstone

yeah, i just discovered that. i don't know why they cant just use your google play account to make a review legit

Alcohol
Premium Member
join:2003-05-26
Climax, MI

Alcohol to Clutch_Head

Premium Member

to Clutch_Head
This is why i have 2 google accounts. Main and secondary for shit like this.