share rss forum feed

RockCake
Premium
join:2005-07-12
Woodbridge, VA

2 edits

[NFL] NFL to consider eliminating kickoffs

from ESPN

"Commmissioner Roger Goodell said Thursday the NFL's competition committee would consider in the offseason replacing the kickoff. The league previously had moved the kickoff from the 30- to 35-yard line to cut down on violent collisions.

Goodell and Rich McKay, the head of the league's competition committee, discussed an idea brought up by Tampa Bay Buccaneers coach Greg Schiano in which a team, instead of kicking off, would get the ball at its own 30-yard line in a fourth-and-15 situation. The team then would punt the ball away or, to replace an onside kick, could go for it and, if it failed to get a first down, the opposing squad would start with great field position.

Speaking about the potential change before Thursday night's Raiders-Broncos game in Oakland, Calif., the commissioner said, "I thought it was an interesting idea. The committee will look at it."

NY Jets coach Rex Ryan was also quoted: "We typically only kickoff twice per game so it wouldn't really affect us"
---------------------------------------

(OK I Made that last part up!)

I understand the concern about player safety, but my initial reaction? I hate it. From a fan's standpoint kickoffs are pretty exciting, with the potential for big/TD returns, fumbles, momentum swings, etc...

footballdude
Premium
join:2002-08-13
Imperial, MO
I don't ever remember seeing someone get badly hurt on a kickoff. There are a lot more dangerous situations in football.
--
Concentrated power has always been the enemy of liberty - Ronald Reagan

I AM
Premium
join:2010-04-11
Ephrata, PA
kudos:4
said by footballdude:

I don't ever remember seeing someone get badly hurt on a kickoff. There are a lot more dangerous situations in football.

I agree. Not only this but some players make the team for their roles on special teams. I remember playing as a kid you would just start on the 20....Might as well not allow players to tackle each other.

f0rtys3ven

join:2011-09-01
Lansing, MI
reply to footballdude
Really its the most dangerous play other than high speed turnovers (bouncing fumbles, interceptions) and maybe punt returns.

The speed that NFL players can achieve before colliding is extraordinary and asking other men to stand in front of them is asking a lot. Though I think getting rid of it won't happen.
--
O you want me to watch my mouth. How. Take my fucking eye balls out and turn them around. Look. I'll burn your fucking house down circle around and hit the hydrant so you can't put your burning furniture out.

I AM
Premium
join:2010-04-11
Ephrata, PA
kudos:4
If they get rid of kickoffs then wouldn't they by logic have to get rid of punts?

f0rtys3ven

join:2011-09-01
Lansing, MI
And an interception would have to be a stoppage of play and dead ball turnover.

Thats y I don't think its going anywhere.

Eagles LoveR
Dawkins is a true Eagle
Premium
join:2001-11-29
Trenton, NJ

1 recommendation

reply to RockCake
If this happens I'm done with football. This won't be the last rule change it will continue to happen. I'm not going to keep watching this trash that used to be football

Eagles LoveR
Dawkins is a true Eagle
Premium
Trenton, NJ
reply to footballdude
said by footballdude:

There was one time I remember. It was a Bills player(I forgot his name) but he got paralyzed, not sure how he is doing now though.. It happened like 10 years ago or something like that
--
"I done wrassled with an alligator, I done tussled with a whale, only Last week I murdered a rock, Injured a stone, hospitalized a brick, I'm so mean I make medicine sick!!"-Ali

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium
join:2002-02-05
Far Rockaway, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to RockCake
said by RockCake:

NY Jets coach Rex Ryan was also quoted: "We typically only kickoff twice per game so it wouldn't really affect us"

That was a good one, and something I could see Rex actually saying.

While Kickoffs have the potential to be more dangerous to players than most other plays, I rarely see guys get seriously hurt during kickoffs. I doubt that eliminating them would do much good in injury prevention.
But the 4th and 15 idea sounds really cool, especially if you've got a great QB and speedy receivers against a crap defense.
--
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." - H. L. Mencken

footballdude
Premium
Imperial, MO
reply to f0rtys3ven
said by f0rtys3ven:

The speed that NFL players can achieve before colliding is extraordinary and asking other men to stand in front of them is asking a lot.

That's the thing, though. On kickoffs, everyone is moving. No one is just standing there waiting to get hit except the guy catching the ball and he is far enough back that he can get moving before the other team gets near.

People get hurt in football mostly when they take a hit they didn't see coming. That doesn't happen much on kickoffs.
--

Eagles LoveR
Dawkins is a true Eagle
Premium
Trenton, NJ
reply to RockCake
The only real way you can eliminate serious head injuries in any sport is take away the contact. the NFL is becoming more and more a flag football type of sport.. Slowly but surely.
--
"I done wrassled with an alligator, I done tussled with a whale, only Last week I murdered a rock, Injured a stone, hospitalized a brick, I'm so mean I make medicine sick!!"-Ali

footballdude
Premium
Imperial, MO
said by Eagles LoveR:

The only real way you can eliminate serious head injuries in any sport is take away the contact.

To eliminate them, yes. But they've been working on new helmet designs that will greatly reduce head injuries. I think technology will make concussions much rarer in a few years.
--

shaner
Premium
join:2000-10-04
Calgary, AB
Hines Ward says get rid of helmets altogether if you want to eliminate concussions.

»profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20···met-off/

sailor
Premium
join:2003-10-21
Long Island
kudos:6
said by shaner:

Hines Ward says get rid of helmets altogether if you want to eliminate concussions.

»profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20···met-off/

I agree with Ward....if he wasn't wearing a helmet doubt this hit would have happened.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYaPArn18oI

FFH5
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5
reply to RockCake
said by RockCake:

I understand the concern about player safety, but my initial reaction? I hate it. From a fan's standpoint kickoffs are pretty exciting, with the potential for big/TD returns, fumbles, momentum swings, etc...

I agree. The kickoffs and punt returns are often the best parts of a game.
--
A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves money from the public treasury.

Happydude32
Premium
join:2005-07-16
kudos:1
reply to Eagles LoveR
said by Eagles LoveR:

said by footballdude:

There was one time I remember. It was a Bills player(I forgot his name) but he got paralyzed, not sure how he is doing now though.. It happened like 10 years ago or something like that

That would be #85 Kevin Everett and it was 5 years ago not 10. Everett was trying to tackle Denvers Domenik Hixon while returning a kickoff. He suffered a neck and spinal cord injury that was believed to leave him paralyzed possibly for life but he regained slight movement a few days later in his arms. He did regain full mobility and was able to walk on the field as was saluted at the Bills final home game of the 2007-2008 season. I believe the Bills kept him on the roster for a few years inorder for him to receive full NFL benefits. He has made a few public appearances and was the grand marshal at one of the NASCAR races down in Watkins Glen a few years ago.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_RPHu1Xkk8

--
iPhone: 4” 1136 X 640 Display, 1.30 GHz Dual Core Processor, 1 GB RAM
MyPhone: 5” 1920 X 1080 Display, 1.50 GHz Quad Core Processor, 2 GB RAM
So tell me, why is exactly is the iPhone so great?
Droid Does What Jobs Won’t Let You Do.

pro7070
BJ "The Prodigy" Penn
Premium
join:2002-06-28
Inman, SC
kudos:1

2 recommendations

reply to RockCake
They are going to end up making the NFL about as exciting to watch as a Pee Wee football game. Each team gets the ball on the 40 to start. Time to punt...just move it 40 yards and give it to other team. They should just go ahead and put flags on them. Goddell is a fucking idiot.

FFH5
Premium
Tavistock NJ
said by pro7070:

They are going to end up making the NFL about as exciting to watch as a Pee Wee football game. Each team gets the ball on the 40 to start. Time to punt...just move it 40 yards and give it to other team. They should just go ahead and put flags on them. Goddell is a fucking idiot.

NFL League management is so afraid of the player brain injury lawsuits that they are now running scared that the lawsuits will bankrupt the league. Hence all the rules changes being suggested and guidance to refs on protecting QBs and receivers. The NFL may get safer for the players, but it will bore the crap out of the fans. Maybe the league has to put in player contracts something similar to what was done with cigarettes - "use may be damaging to your health". Player signs the contract and therefore accepts any brain injury problems and can't sue the league.
--
A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves money from the public treasury.

RockCake
Premium
join:2005-07-12
Woodbridge, VA
Click for full size
Just replace players with cyborgs/robots. We may be closer to Cyberball than we think...!
»www.arcade-museum.com/game_detai···_id=7469

captokita
Premium
join:2005-02-22
Calabash, NC
reply to RockCake
Anyone see the South Park episode about this a few weeks ago? Sarcastiball may become a reality. I just hope they don't want Butter's mojo.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to I AM
said by I AM:

If they get rid of kickoffs then wouldn't they by logic have to get rid of punts?

Haha, then they might as well change the name to passball.

Lex Luthor
Premium,Mod
join:2000-09-17
Hicksville, NY
kudos:3
reply to RockCake
I hope they don't do this, but I understand the legal pressure the NFL is under now and which will continue to get worse.

That being said, I wouldn't mind having a discussion on whether this proposal even makes any sense.

It's actually pretty interesting. You have to have a mechanism that equates on an on-side kick and this does seem to do that. I don't think anyone would ever use this unless it's late in the game. You also lose that surprise on-side kick since there's no element of surprise with this. No coach would try a fake punt with 15 yards to go (well, except the Jets did that 2 years ago, but no one else).

MuDvAyNe
Premium
join:2002-03-02
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Verizon FiOS
reply to captokita
said by captokita:

Anyone see the South Park episode about this a few weeks ago? Sarcastiball may become a reality. I just hope they don't want Butter's mojo.

I just watched that episode lol. The NFL is going in that direction! Butter's mojo will help Eli Manning
--
Mets, Cowboys, Devils

Katzendreck

join:2003-09-29
Calgary, AB
reply to RockCake
What kind of "safe" is it they're trying to make the NFL?

Every time they chip away at the game with more bureaucratic rules and bog it down more for safety, it turns out that was much ado about nothing and there is still the same risk in playing football with getting injured.

OTOH, given their rules about off-the-field conduct, touchdown celebrations, etc., I can't even say I follow exactly what the NFL is trying to achieve here in the bigger picture with the consideration of these rules over the last decade.
--
Politicians realized from business that marketing is sufficient over quality, which is why politicians try and market their personalities rather than the quality of their work.

Draiman
Let me see those devil horns in the sky

join:2012-06-01
Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to footballdude
said by footballdude:

Schiano had a player, Eric LeGrand, get paralyzed on a kick-off while he was the head coach at Rutgers. I'd expect him to be against the kick-off based on first hand knowledge. They don't add that part because it doesn't make for good drama in the story. It's only a matter of time before it happens in the NFL. The real question is whether that's 'just part of the game' or something should be done to ensure it never happens.
--
IF YOU FIND ANY MISTAKES IN MY WORK...Please consider that they are there for a purpose. I try to please everyone and there is always someone looking for mistakes!

footballdude
Premium
Imperial, MO
said by Draiman:

Schiano had a player, Eric LeGrand, get paralyzed on a kick-off while he was the head coach at Rutgers.

Boston College had a hockey player paralyzed because he tripped and went into the boards head first. Sometimes bad things happen.

My point is that it makes sense to change rules on situations where people are getting hurt regularly, like the defenseless receiver rule, but it doesn't make sense to go after kickoffs where you rarely see anyone get hurt. Just last night I saw two people get hurt on a punt return because they got blindsided. Are we to ban punt returns, too?
--

aelingil
Mmm Burnt Toast
Premium
join:2008-10-22
Mesa, AZ

1 recommendation

reply to RockCake
Stupid... Is there any way to get this winner removed from Commissioner?

If i had his position... Legal paper that states "If you are on the 'field' and you are injured, there is no ability to sue the NFL, enter at your own risk.. If you are worried about your well being.. quit and put an application in at wal-mart. " and everyone would sign one.. If they dont, they have the right to break contract and leave for good.. never to return..

All of these stupid rules are due to people who do not think.. I am sorry, you make millions.. your job is dangerous.. you do not get the right to sue someone because instead of hitting the dirt.. you tried to get an extra yard and got hit hard.. If you are that worried about your life you hit the ground not another player..

Yes there are some true accidents... but it is just an accident.. it happens, you still know that this is a dangerous job..

Same note, the "Contracts Hits" that happened last year (?) each one of them should have been removed from the game and bar'd from ever walking into a stadium again. All the way up the chain.. Person that did it, person that gave the money and a fine to the owner of the company for being to busy in his sky box and not watching his team.
--
Aelingil: I need to waste my time, my clients time and another techs time, just to fix a problem with you server & filters?
Tech Joseph: Yes, you are correct.

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to RockCake
Here's the stats on the issue.

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to aelingil
said by aelingil:

Stupid... Is there any way to get this winner removed from Commissioner?

Wouldn't matter. The owners control ALL rule changes. Even without a commissioner the change would pass if the owners wanted it. People blame the commissioner for a lot when in reality he's just a spokesman for the league/owners. It's his job to bring all ideas and even make recommendations to the owners and let them decide which ones they like.

People also forget this is a BUSINESS. It makes business sense to increase the players ability to play the game longer & decrease the lawsuits from a business prospective. They are in business to make money.
--
IF YOU FIND ANY MISTAKES IN MY WORK...Please consider that they are there for a purpose. I try to please everyone and there is always someone looking for mistakes!

FFH5
Premium
Tavistock NJ
reply to Draiman
said by Draiman:

Here's the stats on the issue.

Source of data?