Premium
join:2009-02-05
Chesterfield, MO
kudos:6

2 edits

1 recommendation

Social Media/Charter Direct forum Shutdown

Hello All!

As you have heard, Charter will no longer have a customer care team tasked, specifically, with resolving matters raised on Social Media. The good news is there are other jobs available within Charter for all of the Social Media team members.

As is our nature, we wanted to provide you with a timeline of how we will execute this transition.

Monday, December 10, 2012: We will no longer respond to posts that we discover while conducting Charter searches or here in the public Charter board. We will, however, continue to respond to charterdirect threads until Saturday, December 15th.

Friday, December 14, 2012 (5pm): The Charter Direct Forum and all the Umatter2Charter accounts (which includes: all our individual accounts, @Charter on Twitter, as well as the Umatter2Charter Facebook page, Forum accounts, and accounts on Consumer Advocate Sites) will be removed. Charter will continue to have a presence in Social Media spaces via @CharterCom, Facebook.com/CharterCom, and Youtube.com/CharterCom.

Monday, December 31, 2012: We will transition to our new roles. If there are any outstanding issues on the 31st, we will refer them to the appropriate departments for follow-up and resolution.

As requested by many here on the Charter board and the two news stories, we are tracking, reporting on, and forwarding all comments to the appropriate parties internally to provide the feedback to the leadership team. We would like to thank you for the kind words and outpouring of support for our team.

It has been our pleasure and a privilege to work with all of you.

Thank you
Josh Chapman
Social Media Supervisor

dks7

join:2004-05-31
Omak, WA

1 recommendation

Re: Social Media Shutdown

Lame.

iwinrar

join:2010-03-18
dks7 you are being far to nice. This is beyond lame.

rahlquist
Redeye

join:2001-10-30
Villa Rica, GA
Reviews:
·Charter

1 recommendation

reply to CharterJosh
The irony of the fact that all of the Umatter2Charter accounts going away shows just what matters.

CharterJosh don't get me wrong, the support you and your co-workers have provided in this venue in others has been an order of magnitude over that provided on the phones in most cases (through no fault of the phone support people as they are only as good as their training). Lets face it, my past 6 months with Charter has been a problem filled mess and the only connection with REAL information about why my connection was dropping was from the support personnel here. Call the support # and the only thing they say is they are performing maintenance on your node. Plus I can drop a message here in 2 minutes or less including relevant account info, troubleshooting steps taken, and links to historical issues. On the phone this takes 10 times as long.

Charter has made it quite clear that only one thing matters to it and that is the bottom line. That they were trying to cut every cost became quite clear with the cuts in the # of different broadband account types, and then the removal of support for customer owned modems. (Would love to see the ROI analysis on customer owned, unsupported vs Charter owned and fully supported that convinced them this was wise).

Be that as it may, in 99% of all markets where Charter is the CEO has us customers by the short hairs due to the lack of another cable provider in the same area. But, you might want to tell the CEO and other management to quit giving the finger to the customers. I can almost guarantee that your customer churn rate is rising at this point, and any further changes that are not a clear positive for the customer will only make it worse.
--
Fed Up With Crummy Cell Coverage?

Please Map Your GSM Coverage! Save someone else some grief!

DaSneaky1D
what's up
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-29
The Lou
Reviews:
·Charter

1 recommendation

reply to CharterJosh
CharterJosh (and team),

I've been a member of this forum for over a decade. I've seen Charter's service grow from a major underdog in performance to a class leading provider with broad-reaching high speed Internet access. This company has gone through major leadership shake-ups that has help to right a toppling ship. In all, the best decision they've made was to be that "different" type of company.

For (probably) less than half a million dollars, they've funded a team that gave TRUE customer interaction and put a face towards their customers and the concerns they have with the purchased services from Charter. The people that the Umatter team supported are the advocates of Charter's services and people that willingly directed disgruntled individuals to your channel for assistance. Those that were unhappy are the ones that searched the Internet for those that were experiencing similar problems and found DSLR.

In this increasingly busy world, sole phone support does not work. As your customer, I'm being presented with an automated menu of additional distance between my need in reaching out to Charter and a resolution. Removing the access that I (your long time customer) found beneficial and that routinely exceeded my expectations, Charter is, in essence, saying "what our customers' feel is important is not of importance to us."

It may seem foolish to think that a corporation could have "feelings" for their customer base, but that's the impression I was left with knowing that Charter was willing to back their social media team.

msmisfit

join:2004-09-13
Lawrenceville, GA
kudos:2
reply to CharterJosh
said by CharterJosh:

The good news is there are other jobs available within Charter for all of the Social Media team members.

Monday, December 10, 2012: We will no longer respond to posts that we discover while conducting Charter searches or here in the public Charter board. We will, however, continue to respond to »/forum/charterdirect threads until Saturday, December 15th.

Friday, December 14, 2012 (5pm): The Charter Direct Forum ... will be removed. Charter will continue to have a presence in Social Media spaces via @CharterCom

Monday, December 31, 2012: We will transition to our new roles. If there are any outstanding issues on the 31st, we will refer them to the appropriate departments for follow-up and resolution.

It is a relief to know that your team will not be repaid for the great work you've done, by losing your jobs. If the BOD only knew how much good will you have generated for Charter.

Thanks for the schedule Josh, that's just what we needed. I have a pending issue, that I was hoping could be completed before this closure.

One question, does that "a presence" on Twitter, etc., mean general advertising spots?

Best wishes Josh, to you and all of the Charter support team here. We will REALLY miss you, and that's the understatement of the year!

zed260
Premium
join:2011-11-11
Cleveland, TN
reply to CharterJosh
what will happan will the old local techs be allowed to post again (when umatter2chtr team formed those techs had pretty much a gag order placed on them)

Last Parade

join:2002-10-07
Port Colborne, ON
reply to CharterJosh
I hate it when people say "tasked" seriously.

Premium
join:2012-06-11

1 recommendation

Josh:

Tom Rutledge and his executive team are clearly being pennywise and pound foolish with this decision to eliminate the Umatter2Charter
team.

I hope that somehow the BoD and Shareholders realize that all the positive things that have occured in the previous number of years and with the previous CEO and executive management team are being undone.

As far as the bottom line....other customers posting here are correct in the most logical sense about how being foolish with how costs are cut in the end social media was not only helping customers that could not resolve problems via phone support, but those customers also seeing positive results would remain paying customers and likely make referrals to their friends, family, and acquaintances regarding Charter.

If you have an avenue to reach the Board of Directors and Shareholders with the viewpoints your customers have posted here PLEASE direct them to view these comments.

I see this situation at Charter much like that of the recent debacle at HP, the possible disaster there was averted there at the last minute ....I hope that the Shareholders and the BoD can stop the insanity of the current CEO and Executive management team before it is too late.

jgtyler2000

join:2000-11-18
Trumbull, CT
reply to CharterJosh
Thanks to all the techs in this forum. They helped me a while back with poor performance from a new modem. Phone calls just went in circles. They got involved here and had a truck role, found a couple of bad outside connections and all is fine. Here you are talking to a "Tech" and not a mope reading from a script who has no knowledge of a system.

grimalkin74

join:2011-05-31
Morro Bay, CA
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to CharterJosh
Josh,
Please send up the chain that this particular customer, is NOT happy with this decision. My thought is they need to close a call center overseas and bring that money back here and expand your department. I don't want the "consistent" treatment, I want treatment that works. I come here, I get results. I go to the phone, I get the same old crap.

As it is I'm now waiting for a 90.00 charge to be reversed,next month. Since they said it would be. 2 bucks on a cup of coffee, that its not.

jael

join:2003-04-20
Spartanburg, SC
reply to CharterJosh
Josh,

I was really sorry to hear this. Charter apparently has no idea of the goodwill the social media team built for their company by their helpfulness. I know that, the first time I used the CharterDirect service here, Dylan was able to get a problem fixed in a matter of days where four months of talking to the phone bots had not. Subsequent problems handled here or via Twitter were also fixed in a very short time.

The social media team was the only reason I didn't dump Charter over the problem that the phone bots couldn't fix for four months.

Best wishes for you and the rest of team. It's a dark day for all of us.

Jane

Fibertech72

join:2012-12-08
Worcester, MA
reply to CharterJosh
Hi Josh,

I just want to say thanks to all of you in the Social Media team for the great resources and help that you have provided to me and my friends over the last year and a half. The questions that you helped us answer and technical issues that you resolved would have never been understood when calling the 1-800 number. We tried that road in the past and it was always the same thing, issues just never got resolved.

Since Charter management wants to shut down their Social Media groups then what they need to do is give all of you guys lifetime managment and/or training roles within the company so that when customers call the 800 number their problems are actually understood and if the rep. doesn't know the answer or can't resolve the problem at that time they will either research it or report it to the correct local office for resolution rather than passing it off as the customer doesn't know what they are talking about or saying, "There is an Outage In The Area" when one really does not exist.

Again, thanks for all your help and you guys will be missed along with your great knowledge of the CATV system and it's operation.

Ken

WTF Chartard

@charter.com
reply to CharterJosh
Great news Josh. Now Charter can implement the new billing fee as of December 10, 2012 for lack of Charter Direct Forum cancellation fee for a mere $9.99 billed to every existing Charter customer. You guys rock! Great service guys! WE JUST LOVE GETTING LESS FROM CHARTER.

skj
Welcome to the far side of reality
Premium,Mod
join:2002-04-04
Gone South
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to CharterJosh
Personally, I think it is a big mistake for Charter to remove support here. If you look at posts in the forum pre- and post- Direct forum creation you will see that there were a LOT more Charter complaint posts before the Direct forum. It not only obviously benefited the customer, but also Charter, as a lot of the complaints issues were handled in a way so as to only make Charter look better in terms of what was seen in the public forum. It was a public relations person's dream.

That being said, as the Charter forum moderator, I really appreciate all the work you have done here and the countless Charter customers you have helped at this site. I wish you all the best in your new roles at Charter.

I hope you all have a great holiday season,

skj
--

Reality is the leading cause of stress among those who are in touch with it.--Jane Wagner

form1040

join:2010-10-28
Saint Louis, MO
reply to CharterJosh
During my first month of having Charter service hooked up at my current house, I had a billing problem that 30 minutes on the phone could not resolve.

I was about to just return the equipment and cut my losses had the Social Media folks not been able to solve my problem with a real short email chain.

Since then they've helped me add services and get me on pricing contracts that have gotten more revenue out of my account and helped retain me as a customer.

From the posts here, clearly my experience is not an isolated incident. Good customer service is not a cost center, it helps keep customers happy and can get more money out of them. It's a shame Charter's new management doesn't get that.

clindner

join:2001-01-21
Lawrenceville, GA
reply to CharterJosh
So does anyone know if they will continue with their own internal support forum, or will we be stuck with having to go through phone support?

stlpaul

join:2006-11-15
Saint Louis, MO
reply to CharterJosh
Thanks to the Charter Direct team members who have helped me a few times over the years. Whenever I heard anyone complaining about horrible Charter support, I always directed them to you so they could get their problems solved and questions answered properly. Good luck in your future roles.

siech0

join:2001-03-20
Warrensburg, MO
reply to clindner
They had their own support forum, and they shut that down too. Looks like they want everyone to call in now.

gzt7d8
Aliens live amongst us
Premium
join:2001-07-13
Swartz Creek, MI
Reviews:
·Charter
said by siech0:

They had their own support forum, and they shut that down too. Looks like they want everyone to call in now.

Nobody wins now, I have had great success posting here or in the Charter Direct site. I dread the day I have to call and talk to someone. I always feel like I have to defend myself when I talk to someone at that other end of the phone.

Thanks to all the Charter folks who made this successful, we'll definitely miss you.

Greg
--
"It's not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change."
Charles Darwin

cryptic1911

join:2010-01-24
Willimantic, CT
reply to CharterJosh

Re: Social Media/Charter Direct forum Shutdown

What the hell? This is a terribly bad management mistake.. I really loved the direct online support. I could drop my issue in, and get a response fairly quickly, with no fuss, no dealing with sitting on hold for an hour, and then talking to Ackbar over in Mumbai

This was a great support channel leave it to bumbling upper management to toss it in the shitter for no good reason!

gzt7d8
Aliens live amongst us
Premium
join:2001-07-13
Swartz Creek, MI
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to CharterJosh
Well, we can't change anything but we can let the management at the Charter HQ know our feelings.

Does anyone have a good email address that we can express our feelings on the issue?

Thanks,
Greg
--
"It's not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change."
Charles Darwin

zed260
Premium
Cleveland, TN
Reviews:
·Charter
said by gzt7d8:

Well, we can't change anything but we can let the management at the Charter HQ know our feelings.

Does anyone have a good email address that we can express our feelings on the issue?

Thanks,
Greg

»consumerist.com/2008/09/11/send-···an-eecb/
not all of them work at charter still but enough do that it will create a big bomb tell me if they repley

vickbmx

join:2004-07-06
Sorry Zed. Thats not going to do anything.

zed260
Premium
Cleveland, TN
Reviews:
·Charter
said by vickbmx:

Sorry Zed. Thats not going to do anything.

true but it will get a big email flood and its most you can do without canceling in droves

pvols1979

join:2005-10-19
Prattville, AL
reply to CharterJosh
Actually, I liked it better before the formal process. I did not like how they quarantined the answers for people that they helped from the rest of the forum. I liked it better when miscellaneous Charter techs were lurking in the shadows and would assist people. That was real customer service. There were no scripts and people were just helping customers to be nice, not because it was their job. My 2 cents.

Cinobyte
Premium
join:2003-01-02
Black Mountain, NC
reply to vickbmx
Actually i contacted that list of emails and got a response. They thanked me for praising direct support but that's about it.

bruintennis

join:2012-08-06
Monterey Park, CA
reply to CharterJosh
I think this was a terrible idea. I had some issues with Charter and only the Social Media customer support was able to help. I'm sorry to see them go. They were very responsive and did what they said they would do. Great customer service!

titans58

join:2013-04-12
reply to CharterJosh
I am one that got so much done from UMatter people that I for months couldnt get by a phone call to customer service. I hadnt been on the forums in such a long time and when I couldnt find them anymore due to losing all my browser favorites I had to look it up and wasnt sure if this was the place but it is because ya moved. I see a company failing big time. I am sorry but when they take away the very things that were actually helping customers I see a big failure in a company. I would be on the Umatter page and I guess because it looked bad to Charter they even stopped anyone from seeing any ones comments. I think the customers speak volumes and the support help we use to get and now we dont makes people really rethink who they use as there cable/phone/internet provider. I know it has me.
Expand your moderator at work