how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

jacketfeng

join:2008-12-21
Toronto, ON

[Cable] any update for the cable speed match

last time i saw the post was about teksavvy submitted the ticked to CRTC.

and i have not seen any update for a while .

bt

join:2009-02-26
canada
kudos:1

No decision expected until next week at the earliest. Could be another 2 weeks after that, though.

jacketfeng

join:2008-12-21
Toronto, ON

said by bt:

No decision expected until next week at the earliest. Could be another 2 weeks after that, though.

damn it.
but how this wholesaler selling the cable up to 75M/2M in toronto?

»www.ciktel.com/Main/Eng/Resident···able.asp

bt

canada

75/2 is available for ISPs using the aggregate POI.

I think that's the first one to do so, though... and holy crap, unlimited? They're either going to get killed on capacity costs, or are really, really skimping on it (ie: would have big time congestion)....

eeeaddict

join:2010-02-14

they disconnect you if you go over 300gb because of their "fair use" policy

technocar2

join:2009-05-29
Brampton, ON
kudos:2
reply to bt

CIK has had top tier plans for quite some time and they haven't gotten killed on capacity costs, what makes you think they will in the future? From what I've seen congestion isn't a issue on CIK, I don't have CIK but I know people who do and I played around with it and its top notch as far as I could tell.

They could probably improve their transit and routing but apart from that its no different than TSI.

technocar2

join:2009-05-29
Brampton, ON
kudos:2
reply to eeeaddict

said by eeeaddict:

they disconnect you if you go over 300gb because of their "fair use" policy

That would explain it but I haven't seen anyone get kicked off.

eeeaddict

join:2010-02-14

I meant to write they have the right to disconnect you, not likely but I knew people who got called by them once the got to 300 (~1 year ago)

londoner1

join:2007-04-26
London, ON
reply to jacketfeng

Although a bump in the down speed will be nice, I'm way more interested in the upload speed. Anyone have insight as to what we might see on the Cable 28 package?

bt

canada

said by londoner1:

Anyone have insight as to what we might see on the Cable 28 package?

35/3

resa1983
Premium
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON
kudos:10
reply to bt

said by bt:

With the usual expedited decisions being 2-4 weeks after the final submission, its very possible the decision won't be ready before the Christmas break (they have 2 weeks don't they for Christmas and New Years?).

Which of course means early January...
--
Battle.net Tech Support MVP

bt

canada

If they've got 2 weeks, I expect the last day before the break will be Dec 21st, and back Jan 7th.

So yeah, if they push it to the 4 week window, that'll put it in the first week back.... So here's hoping for 2-3.5 weeks instead of 2-4!

If it's going to be that close, I get the feeling they might want to push it out before they go on break so it's off their plates in January.

The Mongoose

join:2010-01-05
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable

Let's also keep in mind that CNOC might lose, in which case we will never get the speed match. It could also be a split decision where the match is only forced for aggregated POI, in which case TSI customers probably won't see it for at least a year.

bt

canada

Matching for Agg-POI is definite. The question for that is "what price?"

The Mongoose

join:2010-01-05
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable

Right, I guess I was thinking along the lines that "match" meant obeying the rules regarding speed increases that must be free to TPIA customers if they were free to Rogers customers.

My "split decision" scenario meant aggregated gets the new speeds with no price increase, while non-aggregated gets nothing.

chrisl83

join:2011-06-21
Almonte, ON

that upload would help SO MUCH for game streaming. Cut my download if you need to.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON
kudos:19
reply to bt

said by bt:

Matching for Agg-POI is definite. The question for that is "what price?"

And if I recall correctly, it is only Express that gets the ridiculous price increase. I believe Extreme and Extreme Pro will be getting upgraded at current pricing for aggregated POI.

Of course capacity prices are still stupid, so there will be no unlimited on aggregated...
--
electronicsguru.ca

bt

canada

said by Teddy Boom:

And if I recall correctly, it is only Express that gets the ridiculous price increase. I believe Extreme and Extreme Pro will be getting upgraded at current pricing for aggregated POI.

Nope. Only Ultimate didn't get a price increase in the proposed prices. Express got a bigger increase than the rest, though.

Express: +$6.75
Extreme: +$2.62
Extreme Plus: +$1.35
Ultimate: +$0

jmck
formerly 'shaded'

join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON

i thought ultimate went from $99 to $122?

bt

canada

On the Rogers retail side, yes.

But it seems they filed the same wholesale price for it. Which seems very, very odd. I've checked the price for 150, and it was definitely filed as $22.69, but I wonder if I found the right price for 75.

Edit: Sure enough. It was set at $22.69 in the tariffs when it was still 50Mbps.

Keaters
Premium
join:2007-07-25
Chatham, ON
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to jacketfeng

I was looking at the cable pricing for Ontario-C, and noticed that in the Cogeco areas, including my region of Chatham, they have the 20Mb, 30Mb, and 55Mb speeds. Why do they and not Teksavvy? I would like to have my 14Mb connection bumped to 20Mb, but it is not possible.

Dones

join:2008-02-14
Toronto, ON
reply to jacketfeng

Anyone know the deadline to switch to aggregated?

bt

canada

said by Dones:

I believe it was set at Nov 15, 2013 (give or take a few days). I know there were attempts to get that pushed back, but I don't know what the status on them is.

resa1983
Premium
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON
kudos:10

said by bt:

said by Dones:

I believe it was set at Nov 15, 2013 (give or take a few days). I know there were attempts to get that pushed back, but I don't know what the status on them is.

Also complicating things: Possible infighting inside the Rogers organization:
»Re: New speeds Rogers cable - Teksavvy watch out
--
Battle.net Tech Support MVP

bt

canada

At some point, weren't the cable cos trying to get the date moved up as well?

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON
kudos:19
reply to resa1983

said by resa1983:

Also complicating things: Possible infighting inside the Rogers organization:
»Re: New speeds Rogers cable - Teksavvy watch out

There seems to be some progress on that:
»Re: Start.ca VS Distributel

Sounds slightly optimistic, I guess
--
electronicsguru.ca

InvalidError

join:2008-02-03
kudos:5
reply to bt

said by bt:

At some point, weren't the cable cos trying to get the date moved up as well?

Apart from Rogers, everyone else was already using regional or metropolitan aggregation long before the CRTC decided that aggregated was the most logical choice.