uniqs
share rss forum feed

A Lurker
that's Ms Lurker btw
Premium
join:2007-10-27
Wellington N

Two Canadian spots on the 'must visit' for 2013

Two Canadian locations made National Geographic's list of must visit places for 2013. They are British Columbia's Great Bear Rainforest and Nova Scotia's Cape Breton Island

»travel.nationalgeographic.com/tr···ps-2013/

I was looking over the list and realised that I've already visited them. I was wondering if between the members here if we've seen many / most of them.

Crimea, Ukraine
Marseille, France
Raja Ampat, Indonesia
Ravenna, Italy
Great Bear Rainforest, British Columbia
Malawi (no specific location)
Quito, Ecuador *
Bagan, Myanmar
Cape Breton, Nova Scotia *
Uganda (no specific location)
Hudson Valley, New York
Thessaloniki, Greece *
Grenada (no specific location) *
Bodø, Norway
Valparaíso, Chile *
Missouri River Breaks, Montana
St. Augustine, Florida *
Memphis, Tennessee *
Kyoto, Japan
Jarash, Jordan

So that's 7 for me (putting a * after the ones I've been to). With very few exceptions I'd be interested in the other 13... too bad I have no time at the moment. I seem to swing from one extreme to the other... no money, no time. Although technically I have in the past found the money when I wanted to.

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
That's a strange list and there's probably nuanced reasons for visiting some of those locations (it would probably help if I read the article as to why they suggest some of those).

I'm been to Crimea, Marseille, Malwai, Uganda, Thessaloniki, Greneda (shortly after a hurricane hit them so it wasn't such a vacation spot), Memphis, and areas around those locations but probably not specifically those locations.

At the top of my list of places people must see is Suqutra, Yemen. Whatever it costs for someone to go there, go there and bring a quality camera because there are so many alien looking areas that will blow your mind (and you won't see them through Google). I'd suggest going there before Yemen becomes a problematic area to visit.

Styvas
Go Canucks Go
Premium
join:2004-09-15
Hamilton, ON
said by urbanriot:

That's a strange list and there's probably nuanced reasons for visiting some of those locations (it would probably help if I read the article as to why they suggest some of those).

I'm been to Crimea, Marseille, Malwai, Uganda, Thessaloniki, Greneda (shortly after a hurricane hit them so it wasn't such a vacation spot), Memphis, and areas around those locations but probably not specifically those locations.

At the top of my list of places people must see is Suqutra, Yemen. Whatever it costs for someone to go there, go there and bring a quality camera because there are so many alien looking areas that will blow your mind (and you won't see them through Google). I'd suggest going there before Yemen becomes a problematic area to visit.

I've been to Crimea and Uganda (my wife and I honeymooned in Uganda -- well, we did development/aid work instead of a honeymoon). I hope to visit Malawi some day, as we have a World Vision child there.
--
"Moving your Tylenol to the low shelf in your medicine cabinet is not the way to prevent children from falling off a stool when reaching for the top shelf." (said by Savant, May 2008)

Tkavil

join:2010-07-22
kudos:1
reply to A Lurker
I visited Jordan approximately 5 years ago. There are many great places to see and the culture is magnificent. Jarash, Petra, and the Dead Sea, just a few I can think of. Also visited this 800 year old castle while I was there but the name escapes me. I would highly recommend visiting this place, unlike some of the countries surrounding Jordan, it is very politically stable and the people are friendly.

Ahh, I just remembered. It was Aljoun Castle. Quite an astonishing thing to see, I am always amazed by dark-age architecture.

A Lurker
that's Ms Lurker btw
Premium
join:2007-10-27
Wellington N
reply to A Lurker
Jordan is definitely one of the places I'd like to visit. Although so far I've never been able to work it into a trip (and as you say, a lot of the surrounding countries are not places you would be safe in visiting).

horsey

@eastlink.ca
reply to A Lurker
said by A Lurker:

Two Canadian locations made National Geographic's list of must visit places for 2013. They are British Columbia's Great Bear Rainforest and Nova Scotia's Cape Breton Island

»travel.nationalgeographic.com/tr···ps-2013/

I was looking over the list and realised that I've already visited them. I was wondering if between the members here if we've seen many / most of them.

Crimea, Ukraine
Marseille, France
Raja Ampat, Indonesia
Ravenna, Italy
Great Bear Rainforest, British Columbia
Malawi (no specific location)
Quito, Ecuador *
Bagan, Myanmar
Cape Breton, Nova Scotia *
Uganda (no specific location)
Hudson Valley, New York
Thessaloniki, Greece *
Grenada (no specific location) *
Bodø, Norway
Valparaíso, Chile *
Missouri River Breaks, Montana
St. Augustine, Florida *
Memphis, Tennessee *
Kyoto, Japan
Jarash, Jordan

So that's 7 for me (putting a * after the ones I've been to). With very few exceptions I'd be interested in the other 13... too bad I have no time at the moment. I seem to swing from one extreme to the other... no money, no time. Although technically I have in the past found the money when I wanted to.

I got you beat.
I have been to 11 and yesterday I worked AKA got paid for being in.

ns

dragonfly5

join:2012-09-04
reply to A Lurker
Dark age architecture in that part of the world is essentially (Eastern) Roman architecture, which makes it even cooler.