spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Virgil

@suddenlink.net

30 meg no modems?

Suddenlink talked me into getting 30meg versus 15meg internet speed and now I go to pick up my modem and I'm told they have none and could not tell me when they would get any. Can you help me any? Lake Charles, Louisiana

Zorack

join:2001-12-14
Fayetteville, WV
Buy your own modem...

ArizonaSteve

join:2004-01-31
Apache Junction, AZ
Yeah, Goodwill has lots of cable modems for $9.99!

HarryH3
Premium
join:2005-02-21
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
reply to Zorack
I bought my own modem and it was working awesome (Motorola SB6141) for internet. But when the installer showed up to add phone service, he said that adding another splitter, to feed both my modem and the phone modem, would degrade the signal right to the limit. So now I have an Arris modem that does phone and internet, though I currently only have 15 Mbps service and this modem is only DOCSIS 2.0.

Zorack

join:2001-12-14
Fayetteville, WV
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
reply to ArizonaSteve
said by ArizonaSteve:

Yeah, Goodwill has lots of cable modems for $9.99!

Oh,so that's where you bought yours? Wow.
--
Matt Barlow Rules! Bring him back to Iced Earth! \m/

gatorkram
Need for Speed
Premium
join:2002-07-22
Winterville, NC
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
reply to HarryH3
said by HarryH3:

I bought my own modem and it was working awesome (Motorola SB6141) for internet. But when the installer showed up to add phone service, he said that adding another splitter, to feed both my modem and the phone modem, would degrade the signal right to the limit. So now I have an Arris modem that does phone and internet, though I currently only have 15 Mbps service and this modem is only DOCSIS 2.0.

Tell them to pull another line for it.
--
What the heck is a GatorKram? »www.gatorkram.com

staregazer

join:2006-12-15
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to Virgil
What speeds does DOCSIS 2.0 support? Do you automatically get a speed boost if you get a DOCSIS 3.0 modem? Will Suddenlink provide one for free upon request or do you have to upgrade your speed package in order to get one? What if you upgrade your service then want to downgrade it later on, do you get to keep the DOCSIS 3.0 modem?

moldypickle

join:2009-01-04
Haughton, LA
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
doc2 modems will run the 15 meg tier. Getting a Doc3 modem could only increase stability of your connection, not the speed, without paying for a faster tier. SL will only, usually, supply a doc3 modem when you get 20 megs or faster tiers. If you downgrade you should be able to keep the (leased mind you) doc 3 modem.

virgil

@suddenlink.net
fact of the matter they are suppose to supply the doc 3.0 modem and they offered no resolution but are charging me for it..

moldypickle

join:2009-01-04
Haughton, LA
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
They aren't SUPPOSED to do anything. Renting a modem is not mandatory, and purchasing your own is actually cheaper if you intend on keeping your service longer than a year. If the local office is out of Doc3 modems, have them or you call and order a Doc3 modem from support. Or just wait a couple days and check again at the office. Also considering that the office might not even be open on a saturday, what resolution would you like SL to give you on the weekend?
--
30/2 Suddenlink : Current
5/1 CMA : Old
15/2 TWC : Old