Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR

darcilicious to Merak75

Premium Member

to Merak75

Re: iTunes Match Question

Wouldn't it only need to upload the ones that aren't in the iTunes store already? Isn't that the point of Match? (I don't know for certain, that's why I'm asking).
darcilicious

darcilicious

Premium Member

Yes, that's exactly how it works:

How iTunes Match works.
iTunes determines which songs in your collection are available in the iTunes Store. Any music with a match is automatically added to iCloud for you to listen to anytime, on any device. Since there are more than 26 million songs in the iTunes Store, chances are your music is already in iCloud.3 And for the few songs that aren’t, iTunes uploads what it can’t match (which is much faster than uploading your entire music library).

(emphasis mine)
»www.apple.com/si/itunes/ ··· s-match/

Merak75
AKA "Vukodlak75"
MVM
join:2001-10-27
Willoughby, OH

Merak75 to darcilicious

MVM

to darcilicious

If those songs were deleted then this time around it would need to upload unmatched songs again. There was no upload progress for the unmatched 3000 songs.

So why is the iCloud status saying "uploaded" if it did not upload it this second time around?

Does Apple keep uploaded songs archived so they don't need to be uploaded again?
It just seems that they can't get permanently deleted.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious

Premium Member

said by Merak75:

Does Apple keep uploaded songs archived so they don't need to be uploaded again?

That sounds like a definitely possibility, doesn't it? (I didn't realize the 3000 from your original post were unmatched...)

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

1 recommendation

Thinkdiff to Merak75

MVM,

to Merak75
Yes. Apple keeps uploaded songs for some period of time. If you re-run Match on a song that isn't in your current Match library, but was previously uploaded by you, it'll still find that copy and not reupload it.

I have no idea how long uploaded songs stay in their cache or if there's a way to truly remove them all (I'm guessing no).