San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to mackey

Re: Need Info and Advice - Considering Switching to AT&T U-verse

said by mackey:

It's not fiber optic service. If you're lucky they ran fiber to the cabinet in your neighborhood right next to TWC's cable node, but if the max you can get is "Max Plus 18" and they don't offer TV service then you'll be getting ADSL2+ for which they ran the fiber all of 3' to the next rack over in the central office.

They also serve VDSL HSI out of VRADS; neighborhood nodes.

The main one they use is ADSL2+. ADSL2+ is just a slightly faster version of the ADSL they've been using since the late 90's ...

For some values of, "slightly". At the shortest distance between DSLAM and modem, "slightly" is three times faster for ADSL2+, and twelve times faster for VDSL.

... and currently has a top speed of 18 mbps down and 1 mbps up.

The top speed for ADSL2+ is 24 Mbps.

In addition to being faster then ADSL, they also ditched the PPP encapsulation which gets you a little more usable speed for the same line sync speed.

The bulk of the speed differential is due to ATM encapsulation on the backhaul (DSLAM to aggregation). I currently have ADSL2+ from a CLEC. Despite not requiring PPPoE, I still show a 15% difference between sync and throughput. The CLEC uses an ATM backhaul.

AT&T loses the 15% speed "penalty" by using PTM on the backhaul for U-verse Internet.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

mackey
Premium
join:2007-08-20
said by NormanS:

said by JV:

I just went back and looked, and there is no TV offered at my address, and the highest internet speed is the “Max Plus” 18 Mbps plan for $53/month + equipment fees.

This would indicate service is likely from an RT, or VRAD.

That's just wrong. If is was from a VRAD it would be VDSL and he would have the option of TV. No TV means it's coming from the central office or, much more recently, possibly a RT. It was only a few months ago that they decided to start deploying ADSL2+ to people fed from RTs.

said by NormanS:

said by mackey:

It's not fiber optic service. If you're lucky they ran fiber to the cabinet in your neighborhood right next to TWC's cable node, but if the max you can get is "Max Plus 18" and they don't offer TV service then you'll be getting ADSL2+ for which they ran the fiber all of 3' to the next rack over in the central office.

They also serve VDSL HSI out of VRADS; neighborhood nodes.

Correction, they ONLY serve VDSL out of VRADs, which is what I said. The OP clearly wasn't familiar with Uverse lingo which is why I called it "fiber to the cabinet in your neighborhood" and didn't name it as a VRAD. And if he cannot get TV service or a speed above "Max+ 18" then he clearly is not going to be on VDSL or a VRAD.

said by NormanS:

said by mackey:

The main one they use is ADSL2+. ADSL2+ is just a slightly faster version of the ADSL they've been using since the late 90's ...

For some values of, "slightly". At the shortest distance between DSLAM and modem, "slightly" is three times faster for ADSL2+, and twelve times faster for VDSL.

As I was only talking about ADSL2+ in that statement, the speed of VDSL is irrelevant. Also, ADSL has been around what, 14 years? In that time they managed to triple the download (and ONLY the download) speed. Yay. And the upload went from 768 kbps to 1 mbps. 14 years and it's now 1.3 times faster! Better watch out cable! So yes, ADSL2+ is only slightly faster then ADSL.

said by NormanS:

said by mackey:

... and currently has a top speed of 18 mbps down and 1 mbps up.

The top speed for ADSL2+ is 24 Mbps.

No, AT&T does NOT offer 24 mbps over ADSL2+ and therefore the top speed is 18 mbps for the purposes of this discussion. What a technology is technically capable of is irrelevant if it's not actually used.

/M

DataRiker
Premium
join:2002-05-19
Actually the max upload on ADSL2+ is 3 mbit/s not 1 mbit/s.

The spec tops out at 24/3 ( I'm not taking about what ATT offers of course )

mackey
Premium
join:2007-08-20
That's Annex M or ADSL2+M. "Plain" ADSL2+ (what AT&T uses) is 1.1 mbps.

/M

ILpt4U
Premium
join:2006-11-12
Lisle, IL
kudos:9
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to mackey
said by mackey:

That's just wrong. If is was from a VRAD it would be VDSL and he would have the option of TV. No TV means it's coming from the central office or, much more recently, possibly a RT. It was only a few months ago that they decided to start deploying ADSL2+ to people fed from RTs.

Correction, they ONLY serve VDSL out of VRADs, which is what I said. The OP clearly wasn't familiar with Uverse lingo which is why I called it "fiber to the cabinet in your neighborhood" and didn't name it as a VRAD. And if he cannot get TV service or a speed above "Max+ 18" then he clearly is not going to be on VDSL or a VRAD.

That information is almost always right, but not always

There is at least one VRAD in the area I work that has ADSL2+ IPDSLAM cards in it, not VDSL2 cards in it, so therefore it only offers IPDSLAM Internet & VoIP, no IPTV (at least not yet -- I expect some day there will be IPDSLAM IPTV, but that is a discussion for another day, and has been a rumor for a while)

There are some more "traditional" RTs/CEVs now that have IPDSLAM ADSL2+ equipment in them. For that matter, there are some CEVs that have the VDSL2 equipment as well

DataRiker
Premium
join:2002-05-19
reply to mackey
ADSL2+ includes many revisions, and I was not talking about ATT ( included in my post)

ADSL2+ tops out at 24/3