Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

1 edit

antdude to Dampier

Premium Member

to Dampier

Re: Time Warner Boosting Standard Speed to 15Mbps

It looks like I got the speed upgrades (downloading at almost 1.5 mB/sec right now for my standard Internet package).

Konaguy
Live From Hawaii
Premium Member
join:2000-10-21
Kailua Kona, HI
·Hawaiian Telcom

1 recommendation

Konaguy

Premium Member

The president of Oceanic Time Warner Cable confirmed the standard tier has been raised to 15Mbps on Oahu. However, this speed upgrade is on hold for the neighbor islands. They have to seek permission from the DCCA-CATV division to recover additional analog spectrum to accommodate this speed increase.
Radisc359
join:2010-10-02
Fremont, NE

1 edit

Radisc359

said by Konaguy:

The president of Oceanic Time Warner Cable confirmed the standard tier has been raised to 15Mbps on Oahu. However, this speed upgrade is on hold for the neighbor islands. They have to seek permission from the DCCA-CATV division to recover additional analog spectrum to accommodate this speed increase.

They upgraded Standard to 15Mbps and about a week earlier they introduced 30Mbps/50mbps tiers in my area. Everything was great until they upped those speeds, now between like 6-10pm here are my speeds: »www.speedtest.net/result ··· 1255.png (Extreme 30/5) It is obvious that a router(ae1.lnclne04-mx92.neb.rr.com [76.85.221.122]) can't handle the load. The cmts and routers before that one are fine but that one adds 100ms+ ping, so I'd say its obviously the issue. Would this be what would happen in those other islands if they upped the speeds?

motorola870
join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX

motorola870 to Konaguy

to Konaguy
said by Konaguy:

hmm maybe Oceanic TWC will wind up offering DTA's and removing more than just public access channels to digital.

I know TWC in Texas had lawsuits over the issue and TWC wound up having to compensate school districts and city buildings in some towns to be able to reclaim from 2 to 7 analogs in systems state wide. I know I lost 6 analog public access channels.

rcdailey
Dragoonfly
Premium Member
join:2005-03-29
Rialto, CA

rcdailey to antdude

Premium Member

to antdude
said by antdude:

It looks like I got the speed upgrades (downloading at almost 1.5 mB/sec right now for my standard Internet package).

Just went to testmy.net and got these results:

Download :: 10.1 Mbps 1.3 MB/s

This was using a 50MB file for download.

However, I'm pretty sure that there has not been an upgrade where I am. There hasn't been any internet interruption and I did manually reboot the modem a couple of days ago and did not see any change in performance or the bitrate as shown in the modem pages. I checked again tonight and it seems to be the same.
htfan808
join:2004-11-08
Honolulu, HI

htfan808 to Konaguy

to Konaguy
said by Konaguy:

Hey Konaguy...or Mele20,

Have you guys heard what will happen to the old turbo tier, the 15/1 speed? Rebooted my modem and done some speed tests, still 15/1 for me. I'm on Oahu paying the $10 extra, basically for nothing now that 15/1 is standard. There's been no notice, as far as I've seen, nothing on Oceanic's website either. Know when the upgrade for standard was done? I think I'd like some money back if I've been paying $10 for nothing... I've got one of those old webstar sumthin' DPC2100 modems..., might that be a problem?

Thanks

Konaguy
Live From Hawaii
Premium Member
join:2000-10-21
Kailua Kona, HI
·Hawaiian Telcom

Konaguy

Premium Member

said by htfan808:

Have you guys heard what will happen to the old turbo tier, the 15/1 speed? Rebooted my modem and done some speed tests, still 15/1 for me. I'm on Oahu paying the $10 extra, basically for nothing now that 15/1 is standard. There's been no notice, as far as I've seen, nothing on Oceanic's website either. Know when the upgrade for standard was done? I think I'd like some money back if I've been paying $10 for nothing... I've got one of those old webstar sumthin' DPC2100 modems..., might that be a problem?

I suggest you call up Oceanic Time Warner Cable's customer service to see if you can get a refund or credit for that additional 10.00. Oceanic increased the standard tier to 15Mbps on Oahu only sometime in November, as far as I understand.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to htfan808

Premium Member

to htfan808
You have digital TV also or phone service with Oceanic? There is a current special, if you do, to get upgraded to 20/2 for one year at the same price you are paying for 15/1 (in other words, $10 a month more than Standard tier costs), so you will pay no more than what you are paying now for grandfathered Turbo. I got it two weeks ago and I only have analog TV with Oceanic through my condo's contract. I watch HD TV (broadcast channels, Public TV and a couple of others) via clear qam and don't have Oceanic phone, but I got this one year promotion....maybe because of all the problems I've had since August.

Moat likely 20/2 will be upgraded to 25/2 but not for some time as Oceanic has to reclaim bandwidth to give the standard tier increase to the neighbor islands first.

I have 20/2 on my old computer on speed tests. On my new Windows 8 computer, I have HORRIBLE speed...generally about 3/2 up to 12/2 occasionally, but downloads (doing a lot on the new computer), even from Microsoft with a path from Orange RR using TWC Tbone backbone all the way, I get pathetic download speed but fine on the XP computer. I get completely different results if I run University of CA at Berkley ICSI Netalyzr tests on the two computers. Anyhow, call and see if you can upgrade to 20/2 for the one year promotional price. Oceanic's website sucks. It is VERY outdated. It says that 15/1 and 20/2 get Powerboost. That is not correct. Only 10/1 gets Powerboost. I didn't see the promotion there just now for 20/2 for one year (if you have another Oceanic product) for the price of 15/1. That could have stopped on Dec 15. But since Oahu has upgraded Standard to 15/1 (on Oahu only at this time) you should be able to get 20/2 for a year at the price you have been paying for 15/1.

That's sloppy of Oceanic to not inform users of changes. I don't understand why Oceanic doesn't use email for this sort of information.

Do you have a DOCSIS 3 modem? You will need one for 20/2. Make sure Oceanic gives you the Motorola Surfboard 6141 not the other Motorola modem that is a gateway modem with wireless capability and firewall, etc. They first gave me that one. I have wired only network and, even if I was using wireless, I would not want the gateway Motorola modem. It has bad reviews and does wireless poorly.

Norman Santos said that once all islands have the Standard tier upgrade that Oceanic will address the problem that 20/2 either needs a cost cut ( down to $10 a month more than Standard or keep the $20 a month more and up the speed to probably 25/2).
htfan808
Honolulu, HI

htfan808

Thanks Mele20 and Konaguy-

I do have digital TV, I should look into that special. Oceanic's website really is quite sad, gosh. I agree, they should at least send email notices.

I do not have a DOCSIS 3 modem, it's one of these »Scientific Atlanta hardware »Webstar DPC-2100 Webstar DPC-2100.
What I did notice though, is that I seem to have been upgraded to 20/2 or so. I haven't done any speed tests since my last post, about a week ago, until just now. We happened to have a short power outage the other day, so the modem got rebooted in between. My upload speed increased to about 1.8ish, but download is lagging somewhere in the 16 area. Might that be (in part) because of the old modem I have?
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

Click for full size
Probably it is your DOCSIS 2 modem that is causing the lower download speed IF Oceanic did really upgrade you. I certainly think they should upgrade you since on Oahu Standard tier is now 15/1. But I am a bit surprised they didn't contact you about needing a DOCSIS 3 modem for 20/2. Are you near an office where you can take the Webstar in and exchange it?

Here, they will not upgrade anyone to 20/2 without a DOCSIS 3 modem and a service call to set it up. But Oahu is faced with a lot more customers on 15/1 grandfathered Turbo who now need to be upgraded to 20/2 so maybe Oceanic is handling it differently there ....giving the upgrade automatically and waiting for customers to call or come in for a DOCSIS 3 modem and hoping that many will not call or come in asking to exchange their DOCSIS 2 modem ...at least not right away as that would be a substantial number of customers all at once needing upgraded modems and maybe they don't even have enough DOCSIS 3 ones at the moment. I'm guessing though.

On my XP Pro computer (MUCH slower on the new Win 8 one) I get close to 20/2 (test in screen shot was just run) at this Web 100 test site (University of California at Santa Cruz) that I have used for testing ever since I got Road Runner back in 2001. It's a Java test. See how you do with it:

»nitro.ucsc.edu/

Also this test (link below) will analyze your line. It shows me having 20/2 (on the XP computer) and it pinpoints what is wrong when I use the Windows 8 computer where the speed is so much
slower.

»netalyzr.icsi.berkeley.e ··· dex.html

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

DocDrew

Premium Member

said by Mele20:

Also this test (link below) will analyze your line. It shows me having 20/2 (on the XP computer) and it pinpoints what is wrong when I use the Windows 8 computer where the speed is so much
slower.

So what did it pinpoint with your connection on the Win8 PC? Did you fix it?
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

Windows 8 Pro computer

XP Pro computer
It is not something I can fix...at least I don't know how.

I notice on XP computer that uploading is slow compared to on Windows 8 computer and the exact opposite for downloading. Speed tests and sites I download from like Microsoft (I get Windows Defender definitions manually from their download site)...very slow on Win 8 and very fast on XP. Ping Plotter Pro shows excellent ping and routing on Tbone to Microsoft Windows Defender definitions download site. So, the downloads should not be so slow on Win 8 (and I don't do them during prime usage hours).

Maybe there is some other reason for this problem, I don't know.

The 6141 modem is also flashing orange light for "link" indicating some device is operating in Ethernet (10Base-T) or Fast Ethernet (100Base-T) mode. Once I get things transferred from the XP computer, I'll test more with direct connection of the modem to each computer. I have problems getting the computers to see each other and they are currently doing it so I don't want to rock the boat now by changing anything for testing. (Although I did remove the TP_Link router about a week or more ago).
htfan808
Honolulu, HI

htfan808 to Mele20

to Mele20
said by Mele20:

Probably it is your DOCSIS 2 modem that is causing the lower download speed IF Oceanic did really upgrade you. I certainly think they should upgrade you since on Oahu Standard tier is now 15/1. But I am a bit surprised they didn't contact you about needing a DOCSIS 3 modem for 20/2. Are you near an office where you can take the Webstar in and exchange it?

Here, they will not upgrade anyone to 20/2 without a DOCSIS 3 modem and a service call to set it up. But Oahu is faced with a lot more customers on 15/1 grandfathered Turbo who now need to be upgraded to 20/2 so maybe Oceanic is handling it differently there ....giving the upgrade automatically and waiting for customers to call or come in for a DOCSIS 3 modem and hoping that many will not call or come in asking to exchange their DOCSIS 2 modem ...at least not right away as that would be a substantial number of customers all at once needing upgraded modems and maybe they don't even have enough DOCSIS 3 ones at the moment. I'm guessing though.

On my XP Pro computer (MUCH slower on the new Win 8 one) I get close to 20/2 (test in screen shot was just run) at this Web 100 test site (University of California at Santa Cruz) that I have used for testing ever since I got Road Runner back in 2001. It's a Java test. See how you do with it:

»nitro.ucsc.edu/

slower.

Thanks Mele20-

I guess I have been upgraded. That first link gave me around 1.9 up and between 16 and 18 down. The analyzer results were mostly green... BTW, I'm on Win 7.

As far as the modem goes, they haven't contacted us regarding an exchange as far as I know. There is an office in the area, but I'm disabled and can't make it there to change it out. I guess I'll eventually end up calling them and see what they say.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

They can mail you the modem. I was told they do that a lot now on this island because people don't live in Hilo or Kona, or they don't drive, gas is expensive, etc. I didn't ask but I guess you would mail your old one to them.

If you are getting almost 2 up then you are upgraded. The down speed will vary with the time of day much more than the upspeed. You should call them. The DOCSIS 3 modem will allow you to get the benefits of channel bonding. Right now, you have only one channel down and up. A DOCSIS 2 modem can achieve 20 down but you won't see that if there is congestion since there is just the one channel.