spc
uniqs

JasonOD
@comcast.net

JasonOD to morbo

Anon

to morbo

Re: Time Warner Cable: "We refuse to compete"

TW is in this to make money, not to win popularity contests. Heck, they'd sell paper clips tomorrow if they could make more money doing that. As it is, google and their board are nuts for setting $70 for 1gig service- they'd probably get almost as many subscribers at twice the price.

If and when the time comes for TW to rationalize price cuts or speed increases, they will. Twilight tickets are gimmicky, but a heck of a lot less expensive for them than a $20mo price cut.
en103
join:2011-05-02

en103

I agree - TWC is selling/supporting many millions of customers vs a single area as a 'project'.
I doubt that Google has a large scale (many millions) at their current price. In fact, Google 'could' pull the plug and walk if they wanted to ( and may after their project is done).

I typically don't like TWC prices, and would sure love to have 1Gbps for $70... but I don't think Google or anyone else will offer it here in SoCal.

Xioden
Premium Member
join:2008-06-10
Monticello, NY

1 recommendation

Xioden to JasonOD

Premium Member

to JasonOD
Except the costs for google to provide 1gig service for $70 are the same as if they charged $140, or $300, or $500.

Just because every other major ISP in the country charges an arm and a leg for bare minimum basic service and then nickles and dimes the customers for EVERYTHING they can possibly can, doesn't mean every company needs to do the same.

jjj
@comcast.net

jjj to JasonOD

Anon

to JasonOD
I agree, Google is wasting shareholder money on stupidity. Verizon tried this before. $70.00 is an instant lost.

DataRiker
Premium Member
join:2002-05-19

DataRiker

Premium Member

said by jjj :

$70.00 is an instant lost.

Not really.
tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080 to jjj

to jjj
said by jjj :

I agree, Google is wasting shareholder money on stupidity. Verizon tried this before. $70.00 is an instant lost.

I disagree, Verizon NEVER undercut cable on broadband EVER in it's history of being Verizon (competitive, yes.. undercut NO)

For ANY service, you'll have to go as far back to the RBOC days when competition among per minute local/long distance providers & clecs/dialarounds pushed them to offer unlimited service for a flat fee and then that flat fee got smaller and smaller-- that is until Telco and Cableco got into each other's market. Then it bottomed out and began a fleecing to get customers to bundle & pay more for less. Aside from Verizon, the other telcos and cablecos probably haven't spent more than 600 mil. on upgrades *their OWN money, not subsidy / tax break money*-- compared with an est. 17 - 24 billion with Verizon. While they get credit for that.. over 1,000 things the company's done since 2003 have erased just about all the beneficial perceptions in the marketplace among educated/informed consumers.

Google has an almost clean slate.. their history as an ISP's yet to be written...
Expand your moderator at work

PaulHikeS2
join:2003-03-06
Fitchburg, MA

PaulHikeS2 to tmc8080

to tmc8080

Re: Time Warner Cable: "We refuse to compete"

said by tmc8080:

Aside from Verizon, the other telcos and cablecos probably haven't spent more than 600 mil. on upgrades *their OWN money, not subsidy / tax break money*-- compared with an est. 17 - 24 billion with Verizon.

Where are you getting this misinformation? Or is your math just horribly wrong? In general, it's the telcos that receive tax breaks/subsidys: not cablecos. And you're contending that Verizon has spent more than 30 times what Comcast for example, has spent in upgrades? Really? Is there anything at all that you can cite to back this up?

Packeteers
Premium Member
join:2005-06-18
Forest Hills, NY
Asus RT-AC3100
(Software) Asuswrt-Merlin

Packeteers to jjj

Premium Member

to jjj
the google fiber story is about how people are willing to give up some privacy for fast cheap broadband. it's no different from many free wifi systems that log what you do and where you go online. google is in the business of advertising and marketing demographics, it's only using a fiber build to get at that creamy profit center. this is no different than game console makers selling you an xbox at cost, so you'll buy their console exclusive $50 games.