share rss forum feed

mob
On the next level..
Premium
join:2000-10-07
Reviews:
·SureWest Internet

Dearest Time Warner

Hi - I'm a living, breathing customer. I live in Merriam, Kansas. If you give me service equal to Google Fiber - unlimited use, 1Gb/s symmetrical connection for $70 a month - I will sign a 2 year contract.

I'm calling you out, Rob Marcus. I demand. You deliver. Hell, I might even sign up for cable TV again, if there is a value to it for me.

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by mob:

... If you give me service equal to Google Fiber - unlimited use, 1Gb/s symmetrical connection for $70 a month - .....

Umm he didn't say for $70 per month, he said if there was demand for symmetric gig service.

The real price of providing that service is likely well above google price even with the preferred treatment/franchise terms google finagled.

So would you (and a high percentage of your neighbors) sign up for the long term (2 years isn't long enough too begin paying down the capital cost) if they told you it was twice what google charges ($140)? 3 times? 4 times?
Suppose they let you see their books, and they would still net under 10% profit at those rates, would YOU commit for the long term?

The Limit
Premium
join:2007-09-25
Greensboro, NC
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Windstream

I would be more than happy paying $140 a month for 1 GB/s symmetrical connection. However, if their contract didn't include things like "we can do whatever we want to do, like raise prices and such" without any way out other than eat an ETF, then I wouldn't go for it. I'm not stupid.

Besides, Marcus said what he said because he knows that most don't necessarily care about speed, but about price and TWC hasn't really been known for low prices.
--
"We will evaluate these integrals rigorously if we can, and non-rigorously if we must".
---Victor Moll, invited talk, Tom Osler Fest (April 17, 2010)

mob
On the next level..
Premium
join:2000-10-07
reply to tshirt

Then I have no reason to leave my 50/50 fiber for $59/mo.

They have to learn to "compete" for my money. I'm aware that most American businesses are unable to compete, and only grovel for welfare.

bn1221

join:2009-04-29
Cortland, NY
reply to tshirt

I demand it..or Verizon FiOS. I'll pay 1000 a month for 1Gbit and 16 IPs.

tshirt
Premium,MVM
Snohomish, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast

Good! so if you can get 500,000 or so homes directly around you to guaruntee a 60% take rate for say 5 years + and at least half taking video and or phone services, you probably got an ok chance.
If it's just you call the telco and see how little $12 a year buys Unless you are in a metroE zone/business area in a reasonable large city.

tshirt
Premium,MVM
Snohomish, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit
reply to mob

said by mob:

Then I have no reason to leave my 50/50 fiber for $59/mo.

If that's available to you, WHY would you need a second provider (be they fiber, coax, lte or ?) the problem is not where it's practical/affordable/profitable to build out, it's the dozens of low other combonations that make raising money to build impossible.
Most US businesses are quite competive, but building out where market conditions or consumer demand doesn't assure adquite ROI isn't competing, it's stupidity.

The Limit
Premium
join:2007-09-25
Greensboro, NC
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Windstream

"Most US businesses are quite competive, but building out where market conditions or consumer demand doesn't assure adquite ROI is competing, it's stupidity."

The first part is where we will just have to agree to disagree. The second part is common sense.
--
"We will evaluate these integrals rigorously if we can, and non-rigorously if we must".
---Victor Moll, invited talk, Tom Osler Fest (April 17, 2010)

skuv

@rr.com
reply to bn1221

Cogent Communications has been selling 1Gbit for $1000 for the last 12 years.