uniqs
share rss forum feed

shaner
Premium
join:2000-10-04
Calgary, AB
reply to Wolfie00

Re: [Serious] Nurse who transferred prank call commits suicide

I have no doubt they feel remorseful and sad for the tragic turn of events that they started. I'm sure they genuinely feel awful about it. They may be jerks, but they are still human.

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
said by shaner:

I have no doubt they feel remorseful and sad for the tragic turn of events that they started. I'm sure they genuinely feel awful about it. They may be jerks, but they are still human.

I'll reserve judgement until I see how much this experience has taken the wind out of their sales.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON
kudos:2
reply to Wolfie00
said by Wolfie00:

The evidence suggests that they never intended for the prank to actually work (would you really have someone pretending to bark like a dog in the background and the Queen saying something about feeding her Corgis if they seriously wanted to get through and get information from the hospital?).

And they never thought about alternate scenarios? More importantly, the tape was reviewed by the lawyers prior to airing. Surely if anyone had doubts of the appropriateness of the tape they would have killed it. The station also attempted (they say) to contact the hospital on five occasions. They were unsuccessful. Yet the tape aired. A move in bad taste compounded by extremely poor, and possibly criminal bad judgement.

And IMHO, the evidence also suggests that the DJ's are genuinely shocked and remorseful, which is not necessarily inconsistent with the fact that they probably are also a couple of jerks, and their employer apparently even worse. Life is rarely simple, and simple retribution is not always the best remedy.

Did I suggest any penalty? Not I.
--
Need-based health care not greed-based health care.

dirtyjeffer
Anons on ignore, but not due to fear.
Premium
join:2002-02-21
London, ON
reply to urbanriot
there seems to be mixed reactions (sides) from various people:

»www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/201···-dj.html

PX Eliezer70
Premium
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River
kudos:13
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms

1 edit
reply to donoreo
We can honestly debate about the degree of culpability of the radio DJ's.

But I was absolutely shocked to see this asshole who is blaming Kate Middleton.

As an American, I am probably not familiar enough with the mindset of Commonwealth countries in general and the UK in particular. But exactly what species of asshole is this guy Morrissey?

I hope some female in his family kicks him in the balls.

News story excerpts:

British rocker Morrissey did not mince words....

He explicitly blamed Kate Middleton and the royal family for last week's suspected suicide....

Morrissey says the DJs aren't to blame; Middleton and the rest of the royals are....

"There's (been) no blame placed on Kate Middleton, who was in that hospital, as far as I can see, for absolutely no reason. She feels no shame about the death of this woman," the singer told 3News....

He even goes so far as to question Middleton's "health condition."

Full story:
»www.usatoday.com/story/life/peop···1764055/

Geez, even people who may not like the monarchy and/or want it abolished, would not wish ill on a young pregnant woman who was just doing what her doctors told her to do.

----------------------------------------

Morrissey, feh!

Reminds me of George Orwell's musing that he wished there was some kind of Moral Sanitary Authority that could rid the world of Stalin.

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium
join:2005-03-12
kudos:8
British "rocker", eh? Sounds like one of those rockers who's done a few too many drugs.

PX Eliezer70
Premium
Hutt River
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms

Earlier this year Morrissey, who lives in Los Angeles, slammed the ‘blustering jingoism’ of London (Olympics) 2012 and even compared the support of athletes to Nazi Germany in the late 1930s.

Daily Mail.

I am embarrassed that this asshole now lives in Los Angeles.

FFH5
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5
reply to PX Eliezer70
said by PX Eliezer70:

Morrissey, feh!

Reminds me of George Orwell's musing that he wished there was some kind of Moral Sanitary Authority that could rid the world of Stalin.

He reminds me of the scum gang leader Alex DeLarge in the Clockwork Orange movie:

»www.imdb.com/title/tt0066921/
--
A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves money from the public treasury.

Merry Christmas »goo.gl/Y2AEF

peterboro
Premium
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON
reply to donoreo
I knew it. The nurse left details of her criticisms of staff at the hospital at which she worked. When she was sent home I'm sure there were implicit threats to her by the administration at the hospital and she knew her job was on the line. Of course the hospital is falling all over itself to say they were supportive all the while jamming a knife in her back. It seems the more you pay and empower upper management at large institutions such as hospitals the bigger scum bags they become to front line health care workers.

»news.nationalpost.com/2012/12/14···-report/

capdjq
Premium
join:2000-11-01
Vancouver
I really am a loss to know why she was the "persecuted" person. She, from what I have read, "merely" took the call, acting as a receptionist, and passed it on to the floor nurse who then proceeded to be "duped".
While, I am sorry she committed suicide, from my experience with depression with a friend, if she had already a problem this could have driven her "over the edge".
The British and Royal watchers take the Queen and her family very seriously and that is their prerogative, but I, whilst I don't wish them any harm, regard them as an accident of birth.
--
one cigarette costs 2 minutes of your life.
one bottle of beer costs 4 minutes of your life.
one working day costs 8 hours of your life.

peterboro
Premium
Peterborough, ON
said by capdjq:

I really am a loss to know why she was the "persecuted" person.

In the UK and Canada any hospital employee involved in an alleged privacy breach is terminated regardless of their involvement and length of service or protections in a collective agreement. She was quite simply terrified of the consequences of having transferred that call and I'm sure the hospital's administration made this clear to her when the sent her home.

PX Eliezer70
Premium
Hutt River
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms
reply to capdjq
said by capdjq:

I really am a loss to know why she was the "persecuted" person. She, from what I have read, "merely" took the call, acting as a receptionist, and passed it on to the floor nurse who then proceeded to be "duped".

I think that if there was a 2nd nurse (I've seen conflicting accounts) the problem was that the first nurse transferred the call and said "Her Majesty is on the phone" or something to that effect.

At that point the 2nd nurse would not have the inclination or the reason to question anything, trusting that the matter had already been handled.

---------------------

I originally thought the thing was live. It was actually on tape, and the radio station made a conscious decision to play it on air.

Pretty fucking stupid considering that:

a) This station was already in trouble with the Australian government.

b) It's Australia's royal family too, and still highly regarded by many people there. It is not like it was the US where the royals have no official status.

c) It wasn't even funny. The funny status was zero.

d) And making a prank that seeks information on a sick woman in the hospital---disgusting. In fact, that takes the funny status into negative numbers.

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
said by PX Eliezer70:

b) It's Australia's royal family too, and still highly regarded by many people there.

They are *far* less regarded in Australia than they are in either Canada or the UK. Australia is rife with dirty republicanism.
Expand your moderator at work

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON
kudos:2

1 recommendation

reply to peterboro

Re: [Serious] Nurse who transferred prank call commits suicide

said by peterboro:

said by capdjq:

I really am a loss to know why she was the "persecuted" person.

In the UK and Canada any hospital employee involved in an alleged privacy breach is terminated regardless of their involvement and length of service or protections in a collective agreement. She was quite simply terrified of the consequences of having transferred that call and I'm sure the hospital's administration made this clear to her when the sent her home.

Not true. It depends on many factors and on the results of an investigation. Walking out with a chart? Sure.Transferring a call? Not so much.
--
Need-based health care not greed-based health care.

peterboro
Premium
Peterborough, ON

1 edit
NM

dirtyjeffer
Anons on ignore, but not due to fear.
Premium
join:2002-02-21
London, ON
reply to donoreo
it looks like the nurse who committed suicide had attempted it twice before and was on anti-depressant medications.

»www.nydailynews.com/news/world/b···FvVURmaD

peterboro
Premium
Peterborough, ON

1 recommendation

said by dirtyjeffer:

it looks like the nurse who committed suicide had attempted it twice before and was on anti-depressant medications.

It seems she worked and lived at the Hospital and was really on a medical alert restricted duties routine.

Knowing this why would the Senior Hospital Administrators and up to the CEO allow her to be screening telephone calls for a high security Royal?

Why would the Hospital release her name and allow it to be written beneath the media broadcast of the actual phone recording?

Was it an underhanded ploy to deflect blame from the hospital and the administrators?

What other possible reason would hospital administrators deliberately release the name of someone on suicide watch?

In the past very gross negligence involving death and abuse of the elderly has happened and the NHS in Britain and the hospital administrators refused to release the name of the Doctor or Nurse Head of a Department.

It seems some of the dots to why she may have committed suicide are stating to be connected and the hospital administrators seem more culpable than the DJs at this point.

I mean who are the professionals at mental health in this. A couple of idiot DJs or hospital staff?

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
Yeah, something's not right with this situation.
Expand your moderator at work