share rss forum feed

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium
join:2005-03-12
kudos:8
reply to donoreo

Re: [Serious] Nurse who transferred prank call commits suicide

I was just reading about this and it's truly sad.

A little confusing, though, and I think it's being poorly described due to the usual crap journalism. It's been described as the person who "put through" the call, but that person at the actual main switchboard was only on the phone for a few seconds and likely not even a nurse. The nurse who picked up the phone in the ward and spoke with them and actually gave them real information is undoubtedly who they're talking about.

CBC has a recording of the call and it's pretty innocuous, mostly just a stupid stunt of the kind that happens all the time (remember when Sarah Palin got a call from a Quebec DJ impersonating the President of France?). How it could lead to a suicide is perplexing. I suspect there's a lot more that we're not being told. The hospital claims they were "supportive" of the nurse, but I wouldn't be surprised to find out that they dumped on her in a really major way. Maybe one of the downsides of the reverence with which royalty is still regarded over there. OTOH, medical confidentiality does apply to everyone.
--
"The promoters of the global economy see nothing odd or difficult about unlimited economic growth or unlimited consumption in a limited world."
Wendell Berry

mr weather
Premium
join:2002-02-27
Mississauga, ON
Yeah, I think there's a lot more to this story. And the last I read the victim was the nurse who accepted the call, not the switchboard operator.

My guess is the Twitter accounts were pulled to quell the impending shitstorm. Not familiar with the service but does closing the account also delete old/archived tweets?
--
"It's all coming down!!" - Mike Holmes

peterboro
Premium
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON
said by mr weather:

Yeah, I think there's a lot more to this story. And the last I read the victim was the nurse who accepted the call, not the switchboard operator.

The reason that the nurse might have been so despondent is the ramifications for her if she was involved in a breach of privacy protocol.

While the employer had taken no action, and may not have, the absolute terror of being terminated for this might have been there.

I know a guy who's wife was fired at a hospital for just making a sympathetic comment about a patient to a co-worker. She had over twenty year career discipline free.

Yet I was in emerg this last year several times and heard everyones medical issues for hours on end.

FFH5
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5
reply to Wolfie00
said by Wolfie00:

I was just reading about this and it's truly sad.

A little confusing, though, and I think it's being poorly described due to the usual crap journalism. It's been described as the person who "put through" the call, but that person at the actual main switchboard was only on the phone for a few seconds and likely not even a nurse. The nurse who picked up the phone in the ward and spoke with them and actually gave them real information is undoubtedly who they're talking about.

CBC has a recording of the call and it's pretty innocuous, mostly just a stupid stunt of the kind that happens all the time (remember when Sarah Palin got a call from a Quebec DJ impersonating the President of France?). How it could lead to a suicide is perplexing. I suspect there's a lot more that we're not being told. The hospital claims they were "supportive" of the nurse, but I wouldn't be surprised to find out that they dumped on her in a really major way. Maybe one of the downsides of the reverence with which royalty is still regarded over there. OTOH, medical confidentiality does apply to everyone.

I get the feeling too that she must have taken some real grief from bosses at hospital to get so depressed she killed herself. Suicide seems pretty drastic if all she suffered was embarrassment.
--
A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves money from the public treasury.