WarningU2
Premium Member
join:2002-10-27
Burlington, ON

1 edit

WarningU2

Premium Member

[Homephone] Why I Have Cancelled

In case anyone from Bell inhabits this forum I just wanted them to know why I have cancelled my home phone with Bell, after more than 30 years of continuous service.

1) You are no longer competitive.

2) I am tired of the seemingly constant nickle and dime'ng increases in fees. The extra network charges for long distance, the touch tone fee from 1970, the 411 assistance fee, the 911 fee, the fees for bending over ... The recent Jan 2013 announcement put me over the edge.

3) I seldom use my home phone now and the cheapest price/month is more than two times what I can get from alternate providers.

Your service has been great but its not worth the price. Sorry.

And btw the supposed contract you are penalizing me with cancelling, is something I was never informed off when I downgraded to the home phone lite package a year ago. Never mind though, because the alternate provider is compensating me for that charge. That is how competitive the market is right now.

Thank you for 30 yrs but farewell.

BellUser1212
@184.151.114.x

BellUser1212

Anon

I understand your frustation and agree that some of the fees are anoying, but I hope you do understand that all those fees you will still have to pay with ANY other provider, they might not be listed under the same name. also you should be aware that bell or any other service provider do not make there prices, the prices for telephone and internet are all controled by our famous crtc, crtc are there to control the price so Bell or Rogers being the 2 top service providers in Ontario would not crush all the smaller companies think bout it if for example Bell would want to take over the network and say for the next 12 months we are offering phone line and internet for 25$ a month, quite a few companies that a reseller of bell like acn primus and the list goes on would go belly up then after 12 months bell turns around and now charges 100$ a month for the same services since there is no more compitition. But if you left Bell for the price increase of Jan even if you go to any other service provider at the end of the year it ALL comes bout the same price.

QuantumPimp
join:2012-02-19

QuantumPimp

Yup, there is no such thing as a free lunch. Instead the OP should ask if the CRTC regulated product that Bell offers is the right one for his needs. In my case I found the answer to be a resounding "no" and changed to something much less expensive and far, far superior. No. The alternatives are not all the same price. Not even close.
urbang33k
join:2010-02-13
Canada

urbang33k to WarningU2

to WarningU2
Personally I don't even have a land line. We use cell phones in this house. We also have a MagicJackPlus for North America calling if we think we are going to have an excessively long phone call. And for international there's good old skype.

WarningU2
Premium Member
Burlington, ON

WarningU2 to BellUser1212

Premium Member

to BellUser1212
Yes I understand how CRTC reviews the fees but I thought its Bell that approaching them for an increase? So I don't understand how you say... .
But if you left Bell for the price increase of Jan even if you go to any other service provider at the end of the year it ALL comes bout the same price.

For example my bill for home phone (basic) will be $12 to start (it would be $32 with Bell). It increases to $22 after a year. But then with the other discounts and promos... my new and existing TV services with Cogeco were discounted $35 over 2 yrs.

Unfortunately I need a home phone for our security system to work, unless I change to cellular or ISP link but that requires an upgrade to my old system, which is cost prohibitive. Thay have to configure it to work with VOIP which is not an issue.
HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet
join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON

HeadSpinning to BellUser1212

to BellUser1212
said by BellUser1212 :

I understand your frustation and agree that some of the fees are anoying, but I hope you do understand that all those fees you will still have to pay with ANY other provider, they might not be listed under the same name. also you should be aware that bell or any other service provider do not make there prices, the prices for telephone and internet are all controled by our famous crtc, crtc are there to control the price so Bell or Rogers being the 2 top service providers in Ontario would not crush all the smaller companies think bout it if for example Bell would want to take over the network and say for the next 12 months we are offering phone line and internet for 25$ a month, quite a few companies that a reseller of bell like acn primus and the list goes on would go belly up then after 12 months bell turns around and now charges 100$ a month for the same services since there is no more compitition. But if you left Bell for the price increase of Jan even if you go to any other service provider at the end of the year it ALL comes bout the same price.

In areas where phone service is still regulated, Bell APPLIES to the CRTC for rate increases, and the CRTC then APPROVES them, if warranted.

In areas that are FORBORNE from price regulation, Bell has more freedom in pricing.

In either case the CRTC does NOT tell Bell to raise prices. You really need to do some research and find out how it really works.

cyabell
@bell.ca

cyabell to WarningU2

Anon

to WarningU2
you almost lasted as long as my dad, 600 payments never late never missed one....sold his home and downsized after 50 years..got stuck in india multiple times trying to move his services to the new home.....one thing india does understand is cancel.

50 year = 600 payments
home phone
a prepaid bunch of long distance minutes
3 calling features
cell phone small plan just for emergency gut nontheless
high speed internet
sympatico antivirus/firewalll service

all lost over the inability of india to process a move order....amazing how this company is being run/ dad paid bell longer than the guys/gals in india taking the calls have been breathing...rogers now has all those services. good job bell
TechChime
join:2012-11-17
Barrie, ON

TechChime to WarningU2

to WarningU2
Wish I had High Speed 50 years ago.
Expand your moderator at work

WarningU2
Premium Member
Burlington, ON

WarningU2 to HeadSpinning

Premium Member

to HeadSpinning

Re: [Homephone] Why I Have Cancelled

thanks HeadSpinning for adding clarity
Expand your moderator at work

Anonymuss
@rogers.com

Anonymuss to WarningU2

Anon

to WarningU2

Re: [Homephone] Why I Have Cancelled

VOIP over the cable system (i.e. Cogeco/Rogers) is prone to outages due to blackouts even if they don't occur in your neighbourhood.
Cable system amplifiers are tapped into hydro at various points along the way to your house.
If the hydro goes out a few blocks over and your neighbourhood is fed from that area, out goes your phone, internet and TV.
Landlines are self powered and backed up with batteries/generators.
Cell phones are fine and all, but good luck for the security system.

QuantumPimp
join:2012-02-19

QuantumPimp

Agreed, the landline infrastructure has the advantages you've listed. For those who want protection from power outages and still have the possibility of phone service then a landline may be worth the cost.

Its not an either or situation. You can have VoIP, Cell, Skype, Google Voice, etc for daily use and landline for backup.