uniqs
share rss forum feed

kpossible
Premium
join:2003-09-11
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..

Question about WOW's routing and packet loss

I've been trying to figure out where the hold-up is with my internet connection. When I ping plot, I get a lot of packet loss on hop 6, hop 1 being from my modem out (no router). Hop 6 is 207.88.14.161 - xo.net. After plotting for roughly 5 minutes, there is 66% packet loss starting at that hop and it dwindles from there. In the end, it doesn't seem to have impact, as far as packet loss goes. No matter where I plot to, there seems to be a hold-up in that area, different ip addresses, but still hop 6 and usually xo.net. Is this even an issue? Is it outside of WOW's network?

The question may not make sense, but I'm trying my level best to understand what's going on.

Thanks, again, in advance for any input
--
My father always said, " There's a distinct difference between actually knowing it all and being a know-it-all."

MrMonk

join:2012-11-28
Cleveland, OH
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..
Pinging isn't a great test for packet loss. Most routers give low priority or no priority to ping requests. So if that router gives low priority and you are pinging it while its busy, most or all of your ping requests get dropped.

That being said pinging a reliable server like google can helpful, but a definitive test method.

kpossible
Premium
join:2003-09-11
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..
Thanks, MrMonk, I appreciate the input. I was using the Ping Plotter software to Google.com. Over the period of two hours, I had an overall 2 % packet loss to Google. It's that address at hop 6 where it starts and is very lossy.

Have a nice evening!
--
My father always said, " There's a distinct difference between actually knowing it all and being a know-it-all."

WOW_Dan
Premium
join:2011-03-24
Naperville, IL
kudos:35
That hop being an XO circuit, it's out of the WOW network. There's not much we can do, but if you can provide trace routes to different locations showing this packet loss on the same circuit, I can pass that a long to our network engineers to see if they can run a test on that circuit with the provider.