dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
avguser
join:2003-02-09

avguser

Ipod Connection cable to Stereo Receiver?

I just broke my 5-disc CD changer that was connected to my stereo receiver. (remember those things?).

For the three times a year I might actually play a CD, I can use the DVD player (more old fashioned stuff).

Is there a cable that will connect in to the RCA jacks on me receiver and connect up to an IPOD? I'll go google after this post, but thought I'd ask for hints/advice of those who may have one. I really don't want to buy another CD player even if they are only $100.
HarryH3
Premium Member
join:2005-02-21

HarryH3

Premium Member

Plug something like this into the headphone jack: »www.walmart.com/catalog/ ··· ethod=rr and the other end into the input on the receiver.

JimE
Premium Member
join:2003-06-11
Belleville, IL

JimE to avguser

Premium Member

to avguser
Exactly what I was going to say. A simple 3.5" to RCA cable will work. I purchase this type of hardware from monoprice.com

Hall
MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH

Hall to avguser

MVM

to avguser
That cable, or that type, works, but the volume is tricky when done this way. You're using the headphone output, which is powered. Now that I think about, I wonder if connecting it to a "Phono" input would be better. Of course, modern receivers may or may not have "Phono" inputs....
avguser
join:2003-02-09

avguser

I ended up at Radio Shack and just bought a $10 cable that connects the two. Thank you
29393955 (banned)
Always the green wire
join:2011-09-11
Mount Juliet, TN

29393955 (banned) to Hall

to Hall
A phono input is designed for EXTREMELY low voltage output (average of .5 millivolt) - a headphone output into a phono input would yield nothing but distortion. A headphone out should go into (with the iPod's volume set to no more than a quarter-of-maximum) a LINE input only.

Hall
MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH

Hall

MVM

Ooops, I knew there was something different about phono inputs but I didn't try it with ours either. I just know that when I tried it, you had to set the iPod's volume just right or it was too "noisy", if I recall correctly. Problem was, I could never get it to play at a nice, loud volume.

Similar issue occurs when people try and connect them via the headphone output to their car stereo. I bought a proper interface for our Odyssey that uses the iPod's bottom connector. It works perfectly this way (for one, it disables the iPod's own volume control) and it also keeps it charged.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious

Premium Member

said by Hall:

Similar issue occurs when people try and connect them via the headphone output to their car stereo.

I'm pretty sure most (if not all) cars are set up for this to behave like LINE input and not like PHONO input. At least that's been the case for cars I've driven that are 10 years or newer...
jeckler
join:2005-04-11
Mesa, AZ

jeckler to avguser

to avguser
If you're not at all worried about SQ, the headphone jack is fine. If you care a little bit, get a line-out dock instead.
Line-out DOCK is a a bit of a misnomer, as it's not really a dock, it just has a 30-pin connector on one end, and a 3.5mm stereo plug on the other.
The hard part is finding one with a long enough cable.