spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

LVCustomer

@cox.net

[NV] Las Vegas Plus Package HD Channels

Why has Cox Las Vegas never received any of the Plus Package HD channels that most all other markets have, The additional HBO's, SHO's Cimemax, and Starz?

m8trix

join:2003-12-24
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4

those channels are part of the whole home dvr serivce or trio service,and according to the cox website for vegas it shows it availble

BryanInPHX
Premium
join:2001-03-06
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:2

2 edits

Cox has now separated the Plus Package HD channels from the WHDVR.

As of Dec 1, 2011, the Plus Package HD channels were made available to all CableCard Devices for no additional fees.

As of Dec 1, 2012, the Plus Package HD channels were made available to standalone Trio DVR and STB installations, and also at no additional fees, in most markets.
As of now the Whole Home DVR with "networking" is a completely separate service from the Plus Package HD channels. and only the WHDVR has the $5/$10 per mo "networking" fee.

Cox Las Vegas and Cleveland are the only markets I can find that do not have the Plus Package HD channels avaialble, Cox Las Vegas does list a few, but does not list any HBO's, SHO's Cimemax, and Starz
»ww2.cox.com/wcm/en/residential/d···neup.pdf

One might assume that since Las Vegas does not use SDV they don't have the bandwidth, but the channels are above 900MHz and in H.264 so bandwidth shouldn't be an issue, unless Las Vegas is not a 1GHz plant.
--
Cox Premier HSI, SB6120, DIR-628, Win7 WMC SiliconDust HD HomeRun Prime
TiVo Elite & Premiere 2TB-WD20EURS, SA8240HDC DVR, Passport Vers: 3.1.124, OS Vers: PowerTV 6.20.75.106sp
DIY-Ext. eSATA DVR Expander No Enclosure Bare HDD - WD Caviar Black WD1002FA

bbeesley
VIP
join:2003-08-07
Richardson, TX
kudos:5

said by BryanInPHX:

unless Las Vegas is not a 1GHz plant.

Vegas is 1GHz, I believe they were the first Cox market to deploy

I seem to recall the challenge is availability of set-tops that can tune above 860Mhz

Os

join:2011-01-26
US
reply to BryanInPHX

Roanoke in VA does not have the Plus Package HD channels either. Northern VA and Hampton Roads do.

BryanInPHX
Premium
join:2001-03-06
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:2
reply to bbeesley

said by bbeesley:

said by BryanInPHX:

unless Las Vegas is not a 1GHz plant.

Vegas is 1GHz, I believe they were the first Cox market to deploy

I seem to recall the challenge is availability of set-tops that can tune above 860Mhz

Why would Cox LV suffer a shortage of new Cisco DVRs/STBs, A shortage that does not seem to effect most other markets?

I asked Cox support and they told me (an outright lie) "Instead of offering the extra channels, we decided to offer the same content On Demand to give you the choice to watch it on your schedule."

Which most likely is not true as OnDemand should be consistent across all Cox markets. HBO OnDemand does not have the same content being played on HBO Family, Zone etc.
--
Cox Premier HSI, SB6120, DIR-628, Win7 WMC SiliconDust HD HomeRun Prime
TiVo Elite & Premiere 2TB-WD20EURS, SA8240HDC DVR, Passport Vers: 3.1.124, OS Vers: PowerTV 6.20.75.106sp
DIY-Ext. eSATA DVR Expander No Enclosure Bare HDD - WD Caviar Black WD1002FA

bbeesley
VIP
join:2003-08-07
Richardson, TX
kudos:5

said by BryanInPHX:

Why would Cox LV suffer a shortage of new Cisco DVRs/STBs,

I don't think it is an issue of available boxes for new customers but the availability of sufficient boxes to replace all of the tens of thousands of deprecated set-tops.

It's difficult to move channels above 860Mhz if you end up orphaning a significant number of customers that have legacy boxes

and replacing those legacy boxes with new ones takes sufficient inventory, time, and operational expense so it doesn't happen overnight.

signcarver

join:2005-03-20
Phoenix, AZ

That is why its has "always" been "limited" to WHDVR installs, though tivos and media center pc's with cablecard tuners also get the channels. So what is different about vegas.

ajwees41
Premium
join:2002-05-10
Omaha, NE

do they have enough bandwidth?

CoxVegas

join:2011-07-25
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:10
reply to signcarver

The Plus Pak is (relatively) new to the Las Vegas market, compared to a lot of others, so not a lot of channels have been added/moved to it yet (we tend to do channel moves/etc. like that slowly, especially with new Paks that require certain kinds of hardware, etc., to reduce the number of customer problems hitting us at once)