Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

jmck
formerly 'shaded'

join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON
reply to Foristality

Re: [Cable] Connection grinds to a halt when uploading...

well you're sharing a pretty poor upstream and downstream with a few people (28mbit down is actually pretty poor when if you have 1-2 ppl streaming a 1080p youtube).

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON
said by jmck:

well you're sharing a pretty poor upstream and downstream with a few people (28mbit down is actually pretty poor when if you have 1-2 ppl streaming a 1080p youtube).

That's why Rogers needs to roll out the new speed tiers and the TPIA providers need this badly.

BrianON

join:2011-09-30
Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable

2 edits
I have 3mbs/256kbps cable and never have a latency problem in online games even with a Netflix movie playing, syncing 100mb of new pictures in Skydrive and downloading an ISO at the same time. I use a DLINK DIR-655 router with QoS enabled with uplink speed manually set to 256kbps, automatic classification and enable traffic Shaping set (not the best router but has worked well for me).

Your numbers do seem worse than just an up-link saturation issue would usually cause but still worth a shot to try a router with a decent working QoS engine/feature. Might also want to check for a signal issue by checking the modem signal stats page while the problem is occurring.