Premium Member
join:2000-09-25
53403-1242

plencnerb to auggy

Premium Member

to auggy

Re: [WIN8] What Device am I missing?

Click for full size
Everything in Devices and Printers looks to be in order.

--Brian
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member
join:2000-01-13

BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

Sometimes it's a motherboard component, or extra connections on hardware not supported by default drivers. It can be very hard to say, like for video cards with hdmi out there had to be to the correct drivers to enable sound output on the hdmi out.

auggy
Mod
join:2001-12-24
Brockville, ON

auggy to plencnerb

Mod

to plencnerb
Also, try opening "Devices":

Start > type devices > click on Settings > Click on "Devices"

Anything there needs an update?

plencnerb
Premium Member
53403-1242

1 edit

plencnerb

Premium Member

Click for full size
Click for full size
Are you talking about the top item that I have circled in Red? If so, click on that gives me what is shown in the 2nd picture.

As far as I can tell, everything looks good there too.

--Brian
aroberti
Sarcastic? Me? Never
Premium Member
join:2000-12-21
Norwalk, CT

aroberti

Premium Member

From what I can tell, it's most likely your keyboard -- it sees you have a Microsoft one and will install the "Mouse and Keyboard Center" (where you can adjust the customizable keys, etc).

auggy
Mod
join:2001-12-24
Brockville, ON

auggy to plencnerb

Mod

to plencnerb
Yes, that is "Devices".

Going back to your original post I believe if you click "Install" there will be a message of what software will be installed.

This software should not be installed automatically.

You may have to accept a EULA to install.

The device driver has been installed but additional software needs to be installed for the device to function properly:

»msdn.microsoft.com/en-us ··· 940.aspx

plencnerb
Premium Member
53403-1242

3 edits

plencnerb to aroberti

Premium Member

to aroberti
Click for full size
said by aroberti:

From what I can tell, it's most likely your keyboard -- it sees you have a Microsoft one and will install the "Mouse and Keyboard Center" (where you can adjust the customizable keys, etc).

Nope. I installed that software already, and its working great.

However, I did take another look at my event viewer, and I came up with one warning that may be related to this. I've attached a picture.

I do have a 4 GB USB stick (DANE-ELEC is what it says on it). However, it "appears" to be working fine (had it connected all through the install process so far). I can copy files from it to my system, modify files on it, and put data back to it without any noticeable issues.

EDIT

If I clear the logs, unplug my USB Drive, and then reboot, that warning goes away. However, I'm still seeing the message in Action Center. Not sure if they are related or not.

EDIT #2

I did click the install button, and nothing happened except the button went away. No prompted to download or install any software.

So, maybe since the USB device was not plugged in, it just cleared the install?

EDIT #3

Well, not sure what it was then. I cleared the logs, and rebooted. During the boot process, I put the usb stick back in, and the warning comes up in the event logs. However, action center does not report that I need a driver.

For now, just going to make a note of this, and see if I can reproduce it on my next test of my install for Windows 8. I'm still not ready to move over yet due to McAfee needed a patch, which won't be out till Jan of 2013.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

--Brian