share rss forum feed

telcodad
Premium
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:15
reply to mkanet

Re: 305mbps - Any ideas when San Francisco East Bay Area willget

As was said in this thread »Re: Getting 305/65 , I don't think the Extreme 305 tier will be expanding outside the Northeast area anytime soon, unless some major FTTH competitor (like Verizon's FiOS) suddenly pops up by you.

This is the latest FiOS availability info/maps I could find, doesn't look like the San Francisco area is much of a threat to Comcast right now:

»/gmaps/fios

»www.fiberexperts.com/california-fios.html

tshirt
Premium
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast
Not really sure it's a matter of fios, though keeping up with the Jones (direct competitors) is a pretty obvious goal.
Saw an interview with a CC vp biz services saying they want to spread metro-E far and wide, but are starting slowly to be sure they get it right.
My impression is that it will spread ASAP but soon may be a year plus in many city markets and several years out to the smaller markets.

While people see this marketed as a residental tier, pricing points to Biz or serious home office as the target, and open the door to many multi-site cloud services MetroE makes possible.

AVonGauss
Premium
join:2007-11-01
Boynton Beach, FL
... and just because a market has Metro available I don't believe necessarily means the 305 tier will be offered.

telcodad
Premium
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:15
Yes, Comcast is basically test marketing this Extreme 305 tier in the Northeast right now, to get a sense of what demand there might be for a premium-priced, residential, 300Mbps service:

From the Light Reading Cable article (»www.lightreading.com/document.as···lr_cable) about it:
Essentially, Comcast is fighting fiber with fiber. It's utilizing a business-class platform to deliver a high-end residential service as it tries to discover what sort of demand there is for an uncapped 300Mbit/s product that currently sells for US$300 per month. And, according to this statement from Comcast spokesman Charlie Douglas, it appears that Comcast will use the fiber-based approach as a placeholder for very high-capacity residential broadband services until it makes business sense for the MSO to make significant changes to its DOCSIS platform.

AVonGauss
Premium
join:2007-11-01
Boynton Beach, FL
I can see the fiber from my window, does that mean I can get it?