dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
Korpers
join:2012-12-07

Korpers

Re: [WIN7] Computer Always Freezing - Sometimes crashes.

Thanks for all of your comments and help here. I'm very grateful.

aguen: Forgive my ignorance, but what is a disk controller? And can I simply change the driver without risking anything? And I don't know what a MS virtual disk is, so I doubt I'm running one. Also, what is a 3rd party controller.

kramer: Do you mean that the HDD might be bad? It IS quite old - can I somehow run a check on it? I actually have two HDD's in my box, one for the OS and all my applications, then another one for all my docs and stuff.

Thanks again for looking into this.
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member
join:2000-01-13

BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

Two basic tests.

Memory test like memtest, let it run at least twice.

A full diagnostic off the hdd looking for, and repairing errors.

Things can get corrupted on the disk including it's drivers, and in the memory which the pagefile is used as memory.

In one case a hdd cable had become damaged, and that was the entire problem.

Kramer
Mod
join:2000-08-03
Richmond, VA

Kramer to Korpers

Mod

to Korpers
said by Korpers:

kramer: Do you mean that the HDD might be bad? It IS quite old - can I somehow run a check on it? I actually have two HDD's in my box, one for the OS and all my applications, then another one for all my docs and stuff.

Thanks again for looking into this.

Hard disks on average have about a 10% failure rate in any given year. After 5 years, the odds are working against you. Everything you have said here would give me enough information if I were a a gambler, to say your oldest drive is the problem. Obviously I could be wrong and there is certainly not anywhere enough information to be even close to sure, but the odds favor my guess. To answer your question, for testing. Generally the easiest way is to use the manufacturer's software to scan the disk and test it. If it is a WD disk, then use the WD software. If it is a Seagate disk, use the Seagate software, etc. Here's a list of most the major packages. »pcsupport.about.com/od/t ··· diag.htm You might get more help with this in the hardware forum. There are some pretty sharp people over there who might help you look at the hard disks history that is maintained within the drives themselves.

To be more on-topic for this forum, there are some Microsoft utilities like CHKDSK that can give you a decent idea of a disk's health, but CHKDSK can also damage data when there is a problem, so given your issues I would go with something else.

This is important. You are experiencing problems which may be related to the proper functioning of your hard drive(s). It would be foolish to do anything other then backup your data before you do anything else.

norwegian
Premium Member
join:2005-02-15
Outback

norwegian

Premium Member

said by Kramer:

This is important. You are experiencing problems which may be related to the proper functioning of your hard drive(s). It would be foolish to do anything other then backup your data before you do anything else.

Second that point.

Too many people think your computer will store everything. You mention 3 x HDD's so I gather you understand the basics of storing documents and personal info elsewhere.

Back up all personal data, even if buying a new external hard drive.
If you have important data to you, errors such as this can be catastrophic for your personal data to the point you can loose it all.