nightdesigns
Gone missing, back soon
Premium Member
join:2002-05-31
AZ

nightdesigns

Premium Member

[Tablet] Lock down tablet

My grandmother has an android tablet and has managed to wipe the data from it. I'm in the process of re-setting it up and I was wondering if there's a way to lock it down.

Lowtarget
Premium Member
join:2003-12-22
Alger, OH

Lowtarget

Premium Member

You could try searching for a parental control app. Maybe one of those will be able to do what you need.

Hayward0
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium Member
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL

Hayward0 to nightdesigns

Premium Member

to nightdesigns
said by nightdesigns:

My grandmother has an android tablet and has managed to wipe the data from it.

Or tell her just stay away from the factory restore/reset button... pretty much the only way to do that other than a major OS crash that would require it.

bbrcat
Remembering Lisa...
MVM
join:2000-12-09
FL

bbrcat to nightdesigns

MVM

to nightdesigns
Not sure about this but can you set up a seperate non- admin account for her?

Sandman37
Premium Member
join:2002-07-10
Strafford, MO

1 recommendation

Sandman37

Premium Member

said by bbrcat:

Not sure about this but can you set up a seperate non- admin account for her?

Not yet. Even in Jellybean 4.2, where Google added multi user support, this is not an option. Hopefully they'll add this soon though.

Rexter
Libertas, Aequitas, Veritas
join:2002-11-17
cloud 9

Rexter to nightdesigns

to nightdesigns
Android has profiles, but still not users in the traditional sense. It's not like a multi-user computer. For the sake of simplicity this next statement may not be 100% accurate. - On Android each app is a user, and the "Human interface" is sort of an admin, but without full admin access.(unless of course you root the device) Then you can grant admin access to all/any user.(app)

An android device is a much more personal device than a computer, and really isn't made to properly separate "human user"

In-other-words, it's really not possible to fully, or properly, "lock down" an android device. It's not like a computer in that way.

nightdesigns
Gone missing, back soon
Premium Member
join:2002-05-31
AZ

nightdesigns

Premium Member

I found an app called "App Lock" which did the trick. You can lock down specific programs or settings. I locked the entire settings page and you are asked to enter a pin to make modifications. Does the trick.

Sandman37
Premium Member
join:2002-07-10
Strafford, MO

1 edit

Sandman37

Premium Member

said by nightdesigns:

I found an app called "App Lock" which did the trick. You can lock down specific programs or settings. I locked the entire settings page and you are asked to enter a pin to make modifications. Does the trick.

Is it this one »play.google.com/store/ap ··· .applock

Thanks. I actually need a way to lock my kid out of stuff. I set him up with his own acct on my Nexus 7, but he can still get into stuff that he doesn't need access to, like my email.

So far one of the reviews says that it doesn't work well with Jelly Bean and/or the Nexus 7, but I'll see if I have the same problem.

Edit: This is actually working quite well, and I'm not seeing the problem that this reviewer mentioned:
Awesome idea, but...

Has some problems...at least with Jelly Brian and the Nexus 7. When entering the code, but before pressing OK it goes into the app, then back to the lock screen. If you're fast enough to get the OK button, then it unlocks the app. Ultimately I have to remove this. Would love it and even buy it if it worked better.