MichelR

join:2011-07-03
Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·voip.ms
·Rogers Hi-Speed

[OS X] Application windows sometimes move to top left

Moving from Windows, there's still a lot of stuff I find weird (and sometimes completely lacking), but this one gets annoying: On occasion, out of the blue, an application window moves to the top left corner of the screen.

I don't believe I'm hitting any hot-key combination by mistake (if there is one that does that?) - in fact sometimes I think I'm just using the mouse. Just wondering if this happens to anyone else? I'm using a 2011 27" iMac with Mountain Lion (up to date). I also have a 27" Thunderbolt monitor, if that makes any difference (multiple monitor "support" sucks, by the way... )

Thanks,
Michel

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11

Never seen the behavior you're describing.. can you give some more details? Does it happen in any specific application? It just moves completely on its own? Were you interacting with the application in any way before this happens?

Also, what do you find that "sucks" about multiple monitors? I find setting it up is incredibly simpler than Window's implementation - once it's setup, they're basically the same... not much you can do differently with multiple monitors.
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

MichelR

Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·voip.ms
·Rogers Hi-Speed

It happens with various applications - Firefox, Thunderbird, Word... Not doing anything special that I can think of. It just "happens".

Applications on the Mac seemingly can't remember what monitor they were last opened on - they always open on the main monitor. For three out of four apps I use, that's an annoyance. Application dialogs also often open on the main monitor even though the application is running on the second monitor (this could be the application's fault, however...) And of course the unique menu bar makes multiple monitor usage less than idea (though I found a third-party app that does a relatively good job of addressing that).

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11

I guess it just comes down to Mac vs Windows UI philosophy. To me after using Macs for close to 20 years, having important things occur on the main display is "correct". The second monitor is for displaying certain windows or information only when necessary - not to completely separate different applications.

As for the window moving problem - sorry, can't be more help there. I've never seen that. Could it have something to do with any third-party extensions or add-ons you've installed?
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

MichelR

Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·voip.ms
·Rogers Hi-Speed

said by Thinkdiff:

I guess it just comes down to Mac vs Windows UI philosophy. To me after using Macs for close to 20 years, having important things occur on the main display is "correct". The second monitor is for displaying certain windows or information only when necessary - not to completely separate different applications.

I see it more as a "user preference" thing, and here I don't have much choice. Interestingly, widgets (running under Amnesty) and the keyboard and character viewers do reopen on the second monitor where I left them. It's also funny that Windows applications running under Parallels in Coherence mode open on the last monitor I used them in.

quote:
As for the window moving problem - sorry, can't be more help there. I've never seen that. Could it have something to do with any third-party extensions or add-ons you've installed?

Definitely a possibility. I do have a number of them - I'm a programmer and I'm used to my gadgetry - hehe. I can't get the problem to happen "on demand", so it's hard to remove one by one and try - it can be a couple of days between each occurrence. That's why I asked here, to see if anyone has experienced this.

BuckarooB
Beware Lectroids from PlanetX
Premium
join:2001-10-27
Cloverdale, VA
reply to MichelR

are you using the track pad and turned on gestures or something?
--
"Remember, no matter where you go, there you are!!"

MichelR

Ottawa, ON

No, I'm using a "standard" mouse (Evoluent Vertical Mouse 4 - ergonomic stuff).

MichelR

Ottawa, ON
reply to MichelR

Just had it happen again: I was in Thunderbird, clicked to forward a message: The composition window showed up in the middle of the screen for a fraction of a second, then moved to the upper-left corner. Weird...