how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

hitecrat

join:2009-08-18
Flowery Branch, GA

[HSI] charter port scanning my pc

i have logged into my modem and noticed charter is port scanning my computer it says TCP- or UDP-based Port Scan and gives a source ip address which is from charter when i look it up. this past week it was 1810 times in 1 day. why do they need to portscan my pc??

DaSneaky1D
what's up
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-29
The Lou

It's not you, it's other Charter's customer traffic. It's just network noise. Make sure you're using a firewall and ignore it.

Chubbysumo

join:2009-12-01
Superior, WI
Reviews:
·Charter

said by DaSneaky1D:

It's not you, it's other Charter's customer traffic. It's just network noise. Make sure you're using a firewall and ignore it.

Its not just network noise, its a bot slave looking for a vulnerable computer or network. I would report the IP and the activity to abuse@charter.net. You cannot port scan other customers, charter frowns on and stops the practice.

siech0

join:2001-03-20
Warrensburg, MO
reply to hitecrat

This is where the Charter Direct forum would work very well. Now you have to go to the Tier 1 monkey whose head is going to explode when you try to explain this to them.

Good Luck.

DaSneaky1D
what's up
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-29
The Lou
reply to Chubbysumo

If people jumped at every port scanning attempt...it wouldn't be worth getting online.

Firewall and forget.

cablegeek01

join:2003-05-13
USA
kudos:1

said by DaSneaky1D:

If people jumped at every port scanning attempt...it wouldn't be worth getting online.

Firewall and forget.

Eh, I think if it's a Charter owned block, and you're a charter customer, it's worth reporting. You'll help get that customer to remove the virus from their computer. (Charter may disable the offending customer's modem until they clean their PC). Odds are, that person has no idea that their computer is infected.

RAZ Black

join:2001-10-04
Mansfield, TX
reply to hitecrat

definitely worth reporting... not to be ignored.

people scanning our homes for vulnerabilities want you to ignore it.
--
-= ok, who turned out the lights? =-

cork1958
Cork
Premium
join:2000-02-26

said by DaSneaky1D:

Firewall and forget.

This ^
Especially if you're behind a router.

said by RAZ Black:

If you think it's really necessary then shoot off a quick e-mail to Charters abuse e-mail, but we all know how responsive and quick Charter is at stuff. If they were REALLY monitoring their own network, they would see this all by themselves!
--
The Firefox alternative.
»www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/

RAZ Black

Mansfield, TX
Reviews:
·Charter

said by cork1958:

said by DaSneaky1D:

Firewall and forget.

This ^
Especially if you're behind a router.

said by RAZ Black:

If you think it's really necessary then shoot off a quick e-mail to Charters abuse e-mail, but we all know how responsive and quick Charter is at stuff. If they were REALLY monitoring their own network, they would see this all by themselves!

and i have done so, especially with email spam and other sniffy things... complacency is the same as acceptance.

and i'm sure they do see it... probably often, but unless people squeek about it, or the government thugs force financial consquences, they're not liable or willing to do anything until it directly effects them.

if more people would stand up to fight against this type of criminal behaviour, we'ld all be better off.. charter included.
--

msmisfit

join:2004-09-13
Lawrenceville, GA
kudos:2

I've been following this thread since it began to see if I could learn something about what is showing up in my firewall daily. It's Comodo... and new to me so i don't understand why it is showing DAILY UDP hits from my router IP to my laptop IP ... EVERY 2-3 SECONDS. It shows System 32/svchost.exe [1031/1032] trying 2 different higher numbered ports [i.e. 53945/49530], then changing to 1036/1037 and 50966/55438, etc., etc.. on other days.

I couldn't find anything in my Cable modem log, and didn't know where to inquire about this, a Comodo forum, MS windows services forum or what? Where can I find out what this is and overcome my ignorance? My old Sygate firewall was so easy to understand.

cork1958
Cork
Premium

Comodo phones home so often you'll never keep up with it. It's all the crapware blocking, security checking and who knows what else it has built in!

Wouldn't install that piece of garbage on an enemies machine.

All of the other fan boy based browsers do that also, like Firefox, Chrome and ANYTHING Google!! Exactly why I do not use any of that garbage stuff either!
--
The Firefox alternative.

RAZ Black

Mansfield, TX
Reviews:
·Charter

said by cork1958:

...and ANYTHING Google!!

ain't that the truth!... they have the sneakiest spyware installed on everyones computer that has ever used any of their products... its' sad.
--

cork1958
Cork
Premium
reply to msmisfit

said by msmisfit:

I've been following this thread since it began to see if I could learn something about what is showing up in my firewall daily. It's Comodo... and new to me so i don't understand why it is showing DAILY UDP hits from my router IP to my laptop IP ... EVERY 2-3 SECONDS. It shows System 32/svchost.exe [1031/1032] trying 2 different higher numbered ports [i.e. 53945/49530], then changing to 1036/1037 and 50966/55438, etc., etc.. on other days.

I couldn't find anything in my Cable modem log, and didn't know where to inquire about this, a Comodo forum, MS windows services forum or what? Where can I find out what this is and overcome my ignorance? My old Sygate firewall was so easy to understand.

I should've mentioned above the GOOD browsers that don't phone home.

Seamonkey, Palemoon, Waterfox and Opera, if you disable the automatic update check in those 4, is all that is necessary.

Otherwise, those "other" fanboy browsers have several ways of phoning home other than just update checks.
--
The Firefox alternative.