uniqs
share rss forum feed

BrianON

join:2011-09-30
Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to TSI Gabe

Re: [Cable] Connection grinds to a halt when uploading...

Sure the behaviour is normal for a saturated upstream connection but from the information posted I think problem isn't local to the user or with the backhaul link to Teksavvy. That means someplace between those there *IS* a problem. A miss-configured port, router, wrong cables used or whatever.

What node people are on might help track down the problem. I am on Ottawa's richmond and do not have problems.

TSI Gabe
Router of Packets
Premium,VIP
join:2007-01-03
Gatineau, QC
kudos:7
one thing that pops to mind is that somehow the ethernet connection to the modem negotiated in half-duplex. I've seen this a few times

random

@teksavvy.com
>one thing that pops to mind is that somehow the ethernet connection to the modem negotiated in half-duplex.

The data rate is 1Gbps (or 100Mbps for older routers). Transferring 10KBytes/sec would be on the order of 100kbps of data which would only take up a tiny fraction of the time slots. That's 0.1/100 or 0.1/1000 of the time slots.

Same type of linear thinking reasoning that tell people to check Ethernet cables or the power supply when the person can see the modem webpage. A big waste of time that shows that you can't debug systematically.