Search similar:

uniqs
JackBauer
join:2006-08-24
Schenectady, NY

1 edit

JackBauer

Actiontec verus my own router

Over a year or two, as I added devices, I spent hours total configuring my TP-Link GB router for maximal security:

1) WPA2
2) Turn off SSID broadcast (of course)
3) Mac address filtering
4) Lowest transmit power
5) Turned off DHCP and used static IP's
6) I use non-standard LAN IP's

I had always intended on keeping my TP-Link, and I of course intend to use the ONT's RJ45 WAN port...

But now I'm thinking that the Actiontec router is pretty decent, especially the latest rev.

It might be worth keeping it - especially as it would really just be a 1-2 hour copy session for moving over MAC's and copying the encryption key from my existing router GUI to the Actiontec GUI.

But now onto my question... And I saw a hint of it online somewhere, and hence asking for more thoughts on the subject...

I'm sure I can do all the above 5 things to configure it securely, but is the design of it inherently less than the TP-Link for any reason?

(Edited to add #6)

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber

MVM

Only thing you can't do is #4. The transmit power is not adjustable.

You didn't specify the TP-Link model number, so can't give you a meaningful comparison.
JackBauer
Schenectady, NY

JackBauer

Hmm - that is a shame actually, I kind of like that feature of being able to reduce the range of my signal.

I did add a sixth thing in the original post... Doubt it's a problem on the Actiontec though.

My TP-Link is a TL-WR1043N.

TY
kevnich24
join:2006-04-19
Mulberry, FL

kevnich24 to JackBauer

to JackBauer
Sorry but other than number 1, the others are just causing more work for yourself with no benefit. Having wpa encryption with a decent length of password is only thing you need to be secure. Just a thought for you.

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA

aaronwt to JackBauer

Premium Member

to JackBauer
Yes using all those features is more paranoia than anything else.
WPA2 and a password will cover 99.99% if not more.

I know personally I've never run into anyone that had an issue with WPA2 and even a short password.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff to JackBauer

MVM,

to JackBauer
Others have said it already, but what the hell.. The only thing that actually provides you any security is number 1. Once that's broken, the rest of that BS is useless and is only serving to inconvenience you.

Anybody that can break WPA2 could easily get around all the other ant-hills you've put in the way with 2-6.

The only other thing I'd consider half useful is lowering the transmit power. If you don't need full power for acceptable signal quality, you're helping out your neighbors for their networks.
JackBauer
Schenectady, NY

JackBauer

Thanks for the replies.

I had based my strategy really on earlier recommendations that now conflict with the above comments (and »sites.google.com/site/ea ··· wireless)

At this point now that it's all setup there's really no harm leaving it as-is.

The article I referred to above doesn't make sense to me in one respect. It talks about broadcasting SSID's so that when you're "away" your tablet or laptop or whatever isn't querying for that SSID. I guess I don't understand why it wouldn't be querying for my SSID because it is normally being broadcast, if I happened to be in an airport. (E.g, how would it KNOW my router isn't there to query - nowhere in my laptop config do I say the SSID *is* being broadcast, that config is only on the router.)

Anyway - with regard to signal strength I do say that limiting power is a good thing. If I reduce transmit range from 250 feet to 100, I can dramatically reduce the exposure of my router to a number of potential hobby hackers that are just playing around in their basement. Of course someone sitting out in front of my house in their car, is unaffected.

So back to my initial question - are there pros and cons to using the Actiontec over my own router, especially from a security perspective?