From Mazilo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
Lilburn, GA

1 recommendation

mazilo

Premium Member

[Other] Build your own Linux embedded PBX system for $19.99 or l

When I posted this article (Own a FreeSwitch on a Seagate DockStar for $24.99) about 1.5 years ago, some of you seemed to have missed such an opportunity to secure for an inexpensive Seagate Dockstar device to build your own digital PBX system. Well, now it is your opportunity to do so with three different and/or better systems and at a lower cost under US$20.

The first two systems are based on a Marvell Kirkwood SoC ARMv5te architecture clocked @1.2GHz (like the one used on a Seagate Dockstar) while the third system is based on a PLX/Oxford Semiconductor NAS7820 SoC (an ARMv6 dual-core CPU clocked @700MHz). NOTE, the NAS7820 SoC is NOT supported in the mainline Linux kernel and all of its source codes covered under an NDA (Non-Disclosure Agreement) with PLX. Like a Seagate Dockstar device, these systems come with a 128/128 MB RAM/Flash and they as follows:

1. Seagate GoFLEX Net (STAK100): Currently, Fry's Electronics has this device on a clearance for $9.99 with a limited quantity in stock. So, if you and/or someone you know live near by a Fry's Electronics, then you may wanna check it out.
    2. Pogoplug Mobile (POGOV4A101): J & R is selling this device for $19.99 (after $15 instant rebate with a FREE S/H).
    3. Pogoplug Classic Media Sharing Device - Black (POGO P21): J & R is selling this device for $19.99 (FREE S/H). For more information on how to hack this device, please perusal this link.

AFAICT, both Seagate GoFLEX Net (STAK100) and Pogoplug Mobile (POGOV4A101) can run the same Linux codes for a Seagate Dockstar. For me, OpenWRT OS will be my choice, YMMV.

BTW, every-now-and-then Amazon will have this Pogoplug Series 4 Backup Device [POGOV4A301 - Newest Version] for US$40. Unlike a POGOV4A101 device, this one come with a built-in USM/SATA Slot and 2 USB v3 ports.

Good luck.
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River

PX Eliezer704

Premium Member

Re: [Other] Build your own Linux embedded PBX system for $19.99

Excellent information as always, and good to see you!
hardly
Premium Member
join:2004-02-10
USA

hardly to mazilo

Premium Member

to mazilo
Welcome back.
Long time no hear from.
geocollie
join:2008-04-15
Baltimore, MD

1 recommendation

geocollie to mazilo

to mazilo
My wife asked me recently-- "We've had the same phone service for almost a year. I kind of like it, even though you seemed to enjoy figuring out those cheap projects that Mozzarella person came up with."

Whlle I think I may hold out for the POGOV4A101, it's great to have alternatives to the Raspberry Pi that seems eternally backordered, at least at the MSRP.
Mango
Use DMZ and you get a kick in the dick.
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
www.toao.net

Mango to mazilo

Premium Member

to mazilo
Welcome back!
SCADAGeo
Premium Member
join:2012-11-08
N California

SCADAGeo to mazilo

Premium Member

to mazilo
said by mazilo:

When I posted this article (Own a FreeSwitch on a Seagate DockStar for $24.99) about 1.5 years ago

Nice article.
said by mazilo:

Fry's Electronics has this device on a clearance for $9.99

Darn it, out of stock, but thanks for the info!

myname
join:2002-03-12
San Jose, CA

myname to mazilo

to mazilo
Thanks to YOU Mazilo I have been wasting countless hours on those little devices.

Great find in the first place. BTW Goflex home does show up refurbished on ebay for !0~20 USD, One USB, one SATA and Ethernet. Same CPU as dockstar.

Did you install openwrt on the internal flash or by using doozan's uboot and external usb? I have been playing with Archlinuxarm and they are doing a good job too.
taytong888
join:2005-06-20
Nepean, ON

taytong888 to mazilo

to mazilo
Hello mazilo,

Will POGOPLUG V4A102 (one-oh-two) work?

Thank you.
voip_wire
join:2010-07-02

voip_wire to mazilo

to mazilo
Good to see you back on the forum.

cheers,
-m
mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
Lilburn, GA

mazilo

Premium Member

Thank you all.

Yes and I managed to secure several units of a Seagate GoFLEX Net device @such a price from friends who live near by Fry's Electronics stores in many different states. However, I am currently unable to spend sometimes to work on hacking this device (at least not until the beginning of 2013). Nevertheless, I believe there are sufficient information floating on the Internet on how to hack this device. If I am not mistaken, the Seagate GoFLEX Net device should be able to boot off of an external SATA drive out of the box. If this is the case, the device should be ready to run any Linux distros for a Marvell Kirkwood ARMv5 architecture, i.e. ArchLinux, Debian4ARM, Go ARM, Openwrt, ubuntu (ARMv5 seems no longer supported), etc. As I mentioned before, my preference is Openwrt mainly because I can easily build/compile it from source packages to a tarball firmware and install it on any USB/SATA storage to use on the device.

ATM, there is another alternative to a Seagate GoFLEX Net device, but @ a much higher price. If anyone is interested, it is a Pogoplug Series 4 Backup Device [Newest Version] (POGOV4A301) $39.99 (FREE S/H) from Amazon. This device is also based on a Marvell Kirkwood Processor clocked @800MHz with 128/128 MB RAM/NAND, a Full SD slot, 3 USB2 ports, 1 SATA port, and Gigabit Ethernet port. ArchLinux has some information on how to hack this device.

Since someone mentioned about a Raspberry PI, I believe the only device mentioned above that is comparable to a Raspberry PI is the Pogoplug Classic Media Sharing Device - Black (POGO P21). Table below shows some comparisons.
                 Raspberry PI                    Pogoplug P21

Architecture     ARMv6                           ARMv6
Processor        Broadcom BCM2835 Single-core    PLX 7820 700MHz Dual-core
RAM              256 MB                          128 MB
SD support       Full SD                         None
NAND             None                            128 MB
USB v2           2                               4
SATA             0                               1
Ethernet         10/100 Mbps                     10/100/1000 Mbps

Notice that PLX 7820 is a proprietary and not an open-source. Nevertheless, my opinion is a Pogoplug P21 may be a better choice, especially it comes in a (decent) enclosure + a power supply and ready to use for less than $20 with a FREE S/H from J&R. ArchLinux has some information on how to hack this device. One can really turn this PogoPlug P21 device into a decent Digital PBX for less than $20. As with Raspberry PI, I don't own any. So, I won't know how much it will totally cost to build a working Raspberry PI in a decent enclosure and with an adequate power supply, let alone S/H costs. However, I figure it may easily go as high as $40 ($25 for a Raspberry PI, $5 for a decent enclosure, $5 for an adequate power supply, and $5 for S/H). Perhaps, someone who already owns a Raspberry PI may wanna chime in on this. BTW, is it a US$25 or a UK £25 for a Raspberry PI and with a FREE S/H?

ropeguru
Premium Member
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

ropeguru to mazilo

Premium Member

to mazilo
Out of curiosity for all of you using these types of devices, are you running Asterisk on them and manually configuring all your config files? Or are you doing something along the lines of running Asterisk dynamic configuration and housing a SQL server somewhere else?

Something like running FreePBX but only asterisk runs on one of these devices and everything else runs on a different front end.
rnet1
join:2003-10-14

rnet1 to mazilo

to mazilo
I have a Raspberry Pi. They are $35 for the model B board from Newark + approx. $7 shipping. I just checked and for the first time in months they actually have some in stock. I think the biggest advantage of the Raspberry Pi is that there are a couple of Linux distros already available for it so you can get up and running very quickly. You can get a PBX going on it in less than an hour.

toro
join:2006-01-27
Scarborough, ON

toro to mazilo

to mazilo
As of October 15th, 2012 the Raspberry Pi model B ships with 512MB RAM
kaila
join:2000-10-11
Lincolnshire, IL

kaila to mazilo

to mazilo
Thanks for the update mazilo, it's amazing to see what we can do with small form factor hardware as we continue to ride Moore's law.

FWIW, I've been using a 256MB raspberry pi running PIAF for a couple of months in our home with no complaints and zero lockups or unplanned downtime.

And without a doubt, the real strength behind the raspberry pi is the incredible dev community that has literally exploded around it. There are dozens (probably hundreds) of projects/uses being actively developed for the raspi, with Freeswitch and Asterisk based projects included.

And yes, it's $35 for the now 512MB model. Expect to pay ~$60 total if you include an enclosure, power supply (although you probably already have one), and shipping costs.

brg
Premium Member
join:2001-01-03
Chicago, IL

brg to mazilo

Premium Member

to mazilo
Stealing thread:

If anyone is interested in a new-in-box Dockstar, I have one. I bought 2 of them when the Dockstar project described by Mazilo was in its infancy. I used one of the Dockstars quite effectively as a Linux Squeeze/Asterisk 1.8.2/FreePBX 2.8 project until I decided upon something faster and more robust, and I set it aside. The other Dockstar was never even opened up. Yours for $20 delivered. You can do lots of cool non-PBX things with one of these little toys...

toro
join:2006-01-27
Scarborough, ON

toro to mazilo

to mazilo
said by mazilo:

3. Pogoplug Classic Media Sharing Device - Black (POGO P21): J & R is selling this device for $19.99 (FREE S/H). For more information on how to hack this device, please perusal this link.

Just FYI, I purchased exactly this item from J&R a couple weeks ago. It is not based on the PLX 7820 700MHz Dual-core processor. Instead it's based on the good ol' Marvell Kirkwood. In fact, the specs match exactly those of the Pogoplug V2 pink/grey and I used the same install procedure as for Seagate Dockstar & Pogoplug v2: »archlinuxarm.org/platfor ··· pinkgray
biomesh
Premium Member
join:2006-07-08
Tomball, TX

biomesh to mazilo

Premium Member

to mazilo
I personally like the Raspi instead of the pogoplug devices just for the video out and direct keyboard capability.

The arch linux guys have had problems getting solid updates to the pogoplug devices. You try to update/patch your device and you end up having to disconnect the attached drive and fix or lay down their tgz image again. The package dependency leaves much to be desired and without a monitor and keyboard, a simple patch process becomes a drawn out process.

I have never had this problem with a raspi and that is why I replaced a tonidoplug and a pogoplug with one.

The incrediblepbx image for the raspi works really well and with a IVR I have eliminated all robo calls.