uniqs

LazMan
Premium Member
join:2003-03-26
Beverly Hills, CA

LazMan

Premium Member

Re: [Help] Insurance, Write Offs, and keeping/fixing the car any

Insurance took their sweet ass time, but word came in today... It's now officially written off.

Waiting for the dollars and cents part - their offer, and the buy-back price, to see if it makes sense...

Thanks for the advice and info so far...

cowboyro
Premium Member
join:2000-10-11
CT

cowboyro

Premium Member

said by LazMan:

Insurance took their sweet ass time, but word came in today... It's now officially written off.

Waiting for the dollars and cents part - their offer, and the buy-back price, to see if it makes sense...

Around here if it's a total loss the title will be marked as salvage before they pay if you want to keep it. That means you will have to go through a re-inspection of the car in order to be able to register it again. IMHO not worth it.

hortnut
Huh?
join:2005-09-25
PDX Metro

hortnut

Was rear ended in an old farm truck - 79 Chev P.U. in Oregon. Settled with Insurance and kept truck. Insurance stamped title salvage or such.

Went to DMV, they came out looked at it, we went back in and they did the processing for a new Title. They probably spent less than 2 minutes looking at the Truck. Never even looked underneath.

Each State is different. We do not have Vehicle Inspections like other State's do. Washington State is the same. In both States there are only some Counties one only has to pass DEQ for Emissions and Noise every 2 or so years.

cowboyro
Premium Member
join:2000-10-11
CT

cowboyro

Premium Member

said by hortnut:

Was rear ended in an old farm truck - 79 Chev P.U. in Oregon. Settled with Insurance and kept truck. Insurance stamped title salvage or such.

Went to DMV, they came out looked at it, we went back in and they did the processing for a new Title. They probably spent less than 2 minutes looking at the Truck. Never even looked underneath.

My wife had a '90 Geo Prizm that was hit. Hood, front quarter panel and door damaged, they totaled the car. Had it fixed for about $600 less than what the insurance paid, but only because it had fairly new radiator, exhaust, starter, battery, windshield, tires...
Went to the DMV, they put it on the ramp, tested from fuel cap and exhaust to lights and brakes. They requested receipts for all the replaced parts (which I had because the mechanic told me I'd need them). Failed because of an oil spot on the engine and a broken door seal. Had to go again after fixing the issues, and passed.
Would I do it again? Nope.

hortnut
Huh?
join:2005-09-25
PDX Metro

hortnut

Based on your experience, would agree. And that sucks, given the work that you did. And having to then go through all the trouble of fixing things again and another inspection.

In my case I just went to one of the DMV's near me, parked it in the lot [there are no 'special' places, ramps or lifts]. The employee just walked around the Truck. No turning on lights, opening hood, doors, or anything.

It did have a Canopy that was damaged in the accident, along with the bed. The bumper was tweaked, so used chain, come-a-long and tree to straighten it out. Took Canopy off and got a used bed.